Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:09 am

if there is a coin counter that is consistantly wrong - why not run through a ton of pennies and try to make some profit?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
Once the system says it has shipped, how long has it taken you to receive the package(s)?
Whenever I've had emails, they've arrived the next day (with the exception of some small orders early on that went via USPS).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Wells Fargo doesn't doubt the machine's count. I had one $2500 deposit that came out to $2501.11.
Your more lucky then I. The best i had was on a deposit of $900 it came out ot $900.01. I told then the cent was not mine put they still put it on my account..easier to keep the books balanced i guess.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by pwm112
if there is a coin counter that is consistantly wrong - why not run through a ton of pennies and try to make some profit?
A) My benchmark for ethics is if it's something I'd be proud to teach my kids. This idea doesn't pass that test. YMMV.

B) There's just as much of a chance of ending up with a loss.

Mike
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cStyle
Your more lucky then I. The best i had was on a deposit of $900 it came out ot $900.01. I told then the cent was not mine put they still put it on my account..easier to keep the books balanced i guess.
I keep wondering how they can keep the books balanced if they take in an amount different from what they credit customers.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jpdx
Wells Fargo doesn't doubt the machine's count. I had one $2500 deposit that came out to $2501.11.
I have started using two coin machines frequently to deposit the dollar coins. I have decided that the coin machine situation is like the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode in which Larry is upset because he sometimes gets someone else's clothing and wants consumer protection laws passed. Everyone, including Sen. Boxer, explains that it isn't a big deal because sometimes you lose an item of clothing and sometimes you gain, but it all works out in the end.

I think I am up about $.95 from the coin machines, excluding the Lira coin that I have no idea what to do with. I have found that when the bag becomes full and the machine stops, some of the coins in the reject section get regurgitated (sp?) back into the dump pile. Unfortunately, this reject section occasionally swallows a dollar coin of mine. It is very important and completely ethical to keep any gains in order to compensate for losses.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:14 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by stupenal
Funny thing is, I received 2 postcards from the US mint a couple days ago. One was addressed to my home address, the other to my home address with the #1 after it. I had previously placed a couple of orders with the #1 after the home address, in an attempt to surpass the normal limit (which worked)
I got three postcards at home. I've never tried to order more than two of each President, but I did switch delivery to my office after UPS needed to get a signature. No postcards have come to the office, though, so I guess they go by billing address.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I got three postcards at home. I've never tried to order more than two of each President, but I did switch delivery to my office after UPS needed to get a signature. No postcards have come to the office, though, so I guess they go by billing address.
Can you please specify what are these postcards for?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by moondog
I received 2500 this morning and needed to get it into the system ASAP because I had a Citi payment due at 2pm. ....,
Wow! You're cutting it close.

UPS robot just called regarding the 95 lb shipment arriving today. We'll soon know if Kim at UBOC is still happy with the coin program.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kshahk
Can you please specify what are these postcards for?
It is nothing special - just a postcard promotion about the 2009 uncirculated coin set. At least I don't see any earning opportunities there, or it would have been discussed here all over.

By the way, although I only have one account with the Mint, I received two cards. Have no idea....
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I'm curious how much per month most of you are depositing, and how long you've been doing it.

I just started this week with 2 $3,500 shipments (home and office).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PatMike
I'm curious how much per month most of you are depositing, and how long you've been doing it.

I just started this week with 2 $3,500 shipments (home and office).
Please let's not go there again. Has been discussed many times. Do not need to make this thread any longer than it needs to be.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Sorry - you're right. I'm new to the game and just a little nervous.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Anyone get presidential dollars which are from the San Francisco (S) mint? Just checked "the COIN DEALER newsletter" (gray sheet). Looks like these are worth $3 each. Are these "proof" coins only?

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Oct 6, 2009 at 12:23 pm
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I received 2500 this morning and needed to get it into the system ASAP because I had a Citi payment due at 2pm. So, instead of driving an extra half mile to my favorite Chase branch, I decided to try my luck at Wells Fargo, which is reasonably cool with coins. While they were happy, if not excited, to take them, they insisted on doing the unwrapping + counting thing.

When all was said and done, the total was 2494 dollar coins and 6 quarters. Rather simply acknowledge that machine had erred, the tellers insisted that there were, in fact, 6 quarters in the lot. In spite of the fact that I only lost 4.50 due to the mix-up, their lack of common sense and refusal to actually look for these 6 mystery quarters left a bad taste in my mouth.
I encountered this frequently when I was in MKE and depositing at the US Bank head office. The count would always be off, once by nearly $400 on a $2500 deposit. The coin count would often indicate 2501 coins or a number slightly over 2500. I had a good relationship with the manager and I was always credited the amount I said I had, rather than what the machine indicated. Once, after an incorrect reading he remarked that they had taken the bag to the vault to have it recounted and came back with what I said I had put in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.