Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drumdrum
Has anyone had success in getting a large amount of missing coins replaced by the mint? UPS dropped off about 20K worth at the gate at the base of my driveway even though the gate is open. It was supposed to be a sig required delivery but they didn't even attempt to come to my house. When I look at the UPS tracking link it says delivered and it was signed by me. This is impossible. The coins are no where to be seen. I have read that it is futile to initiate a charge back on my CC and that you have to take it up directly with the Mint then they will file a claim with UPS. For anybody that has had to deal with this, was a police report necessary and what was the end result?
You think you are short of a large amount, with UPS forged your signature, and you ask if you should file a police report? Amazing.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by deant
How many coins do you just dump at the bank vs actually put in circulation?

I suspect you deposit over 90% of the coins at the bank -not even out of their wrappers.
I would suggest that the is little difference between the two. Most coins spent at a majority of stores will be taken to the bank which will then pass them to the fed. How often have you been given a dollar coin as change?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I would have mounted a security camera (or at least 3!) at that location, with power backups, etc., due to the magnitude of the delivery amounts!

Time to start investigations - are the neighbors involved, have you put in writing to UPS that authorize them to leave the packages without signature, as you state that they normally leave the packages next to a Tupperware tub?

This sets precedent for them, but if you have put it in writing - big problem.

Because there was one empty box left next to the tupperware tub that sits next to the gate which is where UPS typically leaves my packages. The shipment was supposed to be 8 packages. I got one empty box.
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Somewhat shocked you have to ask if getting the police involved is necessary over $20,000.

You said that they dropped off the boxes at your gate at the end of the driveway. How do you know they dropped it off there?
Has anyone had success in getting a large amount of missing coins replaced by the mint? UPS dropped off about 20K worth at the gate at the base of my driveway even though the gate is open. It was supposed to be a sig required delivery but they didn't even attempt to come to my house. When I look at the UPS tracking link it says delivered and it was signed by me. This is impossible. The coins are no where to be seen. I have read that it is futile to initiate a charge back on my CC and that you have to take it up directly with the Mint then they will file a claim with UPS. For anybody that has had to deal with this, was a police report necessary and what was the end result?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:56 am
Suspended

This is the first Mint shipment I have ordered. I received an automated call today from UPS stating that I would receive the delivery today and a signature would be required. I leave the house and find one empty box from the Mint by my gate. I have no neighbors. UPS normally leaves everything by my gate but I can't remember when I have had anything come that required a signature. It bothers me that when I look at the tracking details and it states it was delivered to my residence and was signed by me. I will have to follow up on Monday. I never signed anything stating my sig wouldn't be required.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:21 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
This is the first Mint shipment I have ordered. I received an automated call today from UPS stating that I would receive the delivery today and a signature would be required. I leave the house and find one empty box from the Mint by my gate. I have no neighbors. UPS normally leaves everything by my gate but I can't remember when I have had anything come that required a signature. It bothers me that when I look at the tracking details and it states it was delivered to my residence and was signed by me. I will have to follow up on Monday. I never signed anything stating my sig wouldn't be required.
Good luck - follow-up with UPS and all others concerned.

Is there no local depot you can visit on a Saturday, or an emergency number for UPS?

Btw, welcome to FT, drumdrum!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by lili
Can't find the reference, but the US Mint is under a Congressional mandate to produce and circulate dollar coins. Supposed to save 3 million dollars a year inreplacing paper money and bring us into the first world where no countries but ours have paper one dollar bills. There is a specific number and goal, as I recall. At the same time Congress has refused to allow phasing out of the paper dollar bill which is rather like forced failure IMHO.

Maybe it was a dream or hallucination.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...egislation.pdf
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Because there was one empty box left next to the tupperware tub that sits next to the gate which is where UPS typically leaves my packages. The shipment was supposed to be 8 packages. I got one empty box.
So you have reason to believe that someone stole these things from you and you're curious if you should contact the police? I'd get your story put together very well if I were you...can't tell if you're a troll or just very naive.

And here's a thought: if you have a tupperware tub for UPS to leave your packages in and are expecting cash to be delviered without UPS knowing it is cash, how about you remove the tub so they don't put money in it?

Geesh. It's crap like this, not the purchasing huge quantities, that will kill this thing.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dingo
So you have reason to believe that someone stole these things from you and you're curious if you should contact the police? I'd get your story put together very well if I were you...can't tell if you're a troll or just very naive.

And here's a thought: if you have a tupperware tub for UPS to leave your packages in and are expecting cash to be delviered without UPS knowing it is cash, how about you remove the tub so they don't put money in it?

Geesh. It's crap like this, not the purchasing huge quantities, that will kill this thing.
According to the Mint, these were supposed to be shipped via FEDEX, not UPS. Why would I remove the tub next to the gate when a sig is required for delivery? Since I never signed for the shipment, if they were stolen, they were stolen from UPS, not me. Hence my question about the police report. I think UPS should be the one filing a report at this point.
The "crap like this" as you refer to it has nothing to do with me, or my tub next to the gate. It's about the UPS driver not driving up to the house and getting a sig from me like he was supposed to.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:59 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Time for the regularly scheduled reminder. This is MilesBuzz!, not Omni or an American Government History/Political Science class.

Talk about the Mint's sales program in this forum, and keep it friendly. Thanks

_
_
_
_
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:25 am

This is your first time doing this and you went with 20K worth? You were never concerned about testing the waters with such a large cash delivery?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Why would you wait until Monday? You're alleging that someone stole $20,000 in untraceable cash.

I would follow up immediately, not next week.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pawtim
Why would you wait until Monday? You're alleging that someone stole $20,000 in untraceable cash.
I would follow up immediately, not next week.
Exactly. I'd be on the phone with the police, UPS, and the Mint (or at least try to call the Mint).
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Exactly. I'd be on the phone with the police, UPS, and the Mint (or at least try to call the Mint).
Agree completely - you need to contact all three ASAP.

This is not a case of a few hundred dollars being missing from a box. If, in fact, $20K was stolen, I am sure UPS would want a police report. You are probably talking about the UPS driver getting fired (for not getting the signature) and UPS having to pay $20K for replacement of the coins (again due to not getting the signature).

Also, I would assume the police would want the one remaining box as evidence and to see if they can get any fingerprints off the box.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:06 pm

According to the Mint, these were supposed to be shipped via FEDEX, not UPS. Why would I remove the tub next to the gate when a sig is required for delivery? Since I never signed for the shipment, if they were stolen, they were stolen from UPS, not me. Hence my question about the police report. I think UPS should be the one filing a report at this point.
The "crap like this" as you refer to it has nothing to do with me, or my tub next to the gate. It's about the UPS driver not driving up to the house and getting a sig from me like he was supposed to.
I can't tell if this is even legit, you created a new name on here and on fatwallet describing your problem with no other posts. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have $20k stolen.

They were stolen from you on your property, therefore you want to make a police report. You are going to get a lot of grief for reporting this days after it happened.

The reason I think this is either a scam to steal money from the mint or just made up completely is that it seems highly unlikely to me that someone would leave just one box that held 10 other boxes of coins. It to move 20 boxes that weigh around 50lbs each. So I don't understand why they would toss 10 small individual boxes of coins in their vehicle and not just open the big box and one little box to see what was inside. Also, if one were to steal that much money, he or she would have to be pretty stupid to leave a box of evidence behind.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Oct 3, 2009 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM
I've done it 4 times and never been more than $1000. Usually $500. I'm most nervous about losing a shipment which would be a big hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.