Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:45 am

I saw an Illinois license plate this morning:

COINMAN
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
my mom just gave 4 rolls each to my twin cousins for their birthday...they were trying to guess what it was since it's pretty heavy for a gift. the coins make such good holiday gifts. Better than gift cards..don't even have to go to the store to buy them.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
I saw an Illinois license plate this morning:

COINMAN

LOVE IT!!!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
I just got my 1st shipment !!! $2500 (5 Presidents).
Another shipment to spouse's office will deliver tomorrow.
I now nervously plan my deposit strategy....
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PatMike
I just got my 1st shipment !!! $2500 (5 Presidents).
Another shipment to spouse's office will deliver tomorrow.
I now nervously plan my deposit strategy....
Don't be nervous. The presidents should be the easiest of all to deposit. Many banks will want them rolled because that is what customers want. If you call around you might even be able to trade them for "folding money" at banks that you don't have an deposit account (unless your town's been hit hard by other FTers )

The NAs on the other hand are another story...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:49 pm

I have 2 orders "In Stock and Reserved" and I left my CC at a restaurant last night so I have to cancel it. Doh!

I called the CC company and was happy to hear the US Mint charges were already placed! Woo-Hoo!

So, is there something wrong with me if I was more concerned about my coin order going through than someone fraudulently using my card?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:55 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels

Ain't that the truth! One of the hippies (a term of endearment) at the farmers' market this weekend commented on the "weird" coins.

Re: the COINMAN license plate sighted in Illinois: Well, that tells you that the guy in the car was definitely NOT Frank Costanza's proctologist.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Are banks rejecting them? What if I just keep the deposits "reasonable" ($500 per visit)?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I just received my first shipment today as well, $1000. I have second order placed for 5K.

I went into a local bank the other day and inidcated I wanted to open an account and I wished to deposit large amounts of coins. I was upfront with them and clearly indicated that I wished to make this as easy for them as possible. So far they seem willing to accept 5K deposit b-weekly. I'm excited to get this going.

Seems to be the strategy that mrpickles and others have followed. This has been a great thread. Thanks for all the info.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Are banks rejecting them? What if I just keep the deposits "reasonable" ($500 per visit)?
Banks don't seem to care whether you have the NA coins or the ones with the Presidents. I've never found one that does.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither my Wachovia nor my BofA branch cares about what coin they receive.

Though at one time the teller at Wachovia actually looked at the coins which happened to be 4 prez and she commented, "Oh, they are all different." This is the ONLY comment I ever heard from any of the tellers of these 2 branches, other than the first few times, "Where did you get these?" Most tellers dont have any idea who The US Mint is, by the way.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:25 pm

I just deposited $1,000 of my 1st $2,500 shipment. I noticed a Chase branch with a drive-up window that I pass all of the time. I went through the drive-up without having to schlep any coins inside. I put $500 in the tray at a time as not to break it (as in a former post!). It was quick and easy. I could easily do $500 at this branch daily with only a time waste of 5 min./day.

I'm too timid now, but aspire for MrPickles quantities someday.
I'll see how it goes for me...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaron1262
my mom just gave 4 rolls each to my twin cousins for their birthday...they were trying to guess what it was since it's pretty heavy for a gift. the coins make such good holiday gifts. Better than gift cards..don't even have to go to the store to buy them.
Another benefit: The US Mint does not charge sales taxes.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

No sales tax is due on a gift card, since it is an intangible item.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:30 pm

I kind of wonder how much money we've pushed through the system by ordering directly from the US Mint and depositing at banks. Between this thread and an equally long thread at Fatwallet (and I don't venture to SlickDeals), I would not be surprised if it's over $1b.

Anyway, I stopped by a Chase branch today near my office and as I walked in the Customer Service rep asked if I needed any help. I told him that I wanted to deposit $500 in dollar coins and he asked how I got them. I told them that the US Mint was looking to increase circulation so I was helping them out. I told him I ordered them from the US Mint's website, and he asked what I was getting out of it.

I just showed him my United MP card ... he LOL'ed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.