Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
all of mine still say backordered, but 3/4 of them are now expected for 12/10 or 12/11. One is for 12/20 (TJ).
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some obvious advice:

If your cash advance limit happens to be 1900 (as mine is), and your order is 2000 (separated amongst presidents), be sure to call the mint before the ship date of your first coins and advise them to refrain from splitting up your order. While I'm not extremely concerned that problems could/would ensue, this is an easy preventative measure to take.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
mine still show up as purchase

my last purchase showed up as a purchase on my AMEX statement....not a cash advance.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mrx900
my last purchase showed up as a purchase on my AMEX statement....not a cash advance.
when do you place the order?

thx
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:24 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by michaelm69
when do you place the order?

thx
11/12/09
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:45 am

Nobody ever said that there's a chance the Mint could call the order a "cash advance". That would be impossible. Please re-read the thread, or the disclaimer on the Mint's site. It's "cash-equivalent", which has nothing to do with cash advances, or your "cash advance limit", etc.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: Grounded
Well, placed a new order today (12/6) on the Chase BA card. We'll see if their new policy has any teeth.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
All the Pres. show a 12/21 shipping date now. We are leaving for a 3 week vacation on 1/8 so I'm hesitant to place an order.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I have doubts that the Mint can use the cash advance coding for one type of "purchase" but not others. Also another issue with the cash advance is that it will kill the program for even small business. I can't see any business absorbing the costs of a cash advance to get some coins to put them in circulation.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by cayenne92
I have doubts that the Mint can use the cash advance coding for one type of "purchase" but not others. Also another issue with the cash advance is that it will kill the program for even small business. I can't see any business absorbing the costs of a cash advance to get some coins to put them in circulation.
A merchant cannot code *anything* as a "cash advance". Only a bank can. They can code it as a "cash equivalent", which is what they say they will start doing. Cash equivalents do not cost anything more, so your statement doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:01 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Is the Mint party over?

See this article in the WSJ.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1260...seat#printMode

I think he even attended the *A do.

Just when I was getting started thinking about it!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Just read the article in the WSJ online. Mr Pickles is famous.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: A few
just to be clear, there is absolutely no upside to having an article on this in wsj, or in speaking to any journalist about this concept. unfortunately too many people too happy to blabber-mouth about it which will of course kill the deal for everyone else. please try to keep zip
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:30 pm

The only good news in this article:

"The mile is such a cherished commodity that airlines have even bolstered their balance sheets by preselling billions of miles. Citigroup Inc., which gives away American AAdvantage miles to credit-card customers, agreed to lend American $1 billion in September. The loan is to be repaid between 2012 and 2016 -- not in cash but in miles."

Citigroup still has a lot of miles on their hands. They might tighten up their offers, but they still have to "use" these miles in the coming 2-6 years...
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
just to be clear, there is absolutely no upside to having an article on this in wsj, or in speaking to any journalist about this concept. unfortunately too many people too happy to blabber-mouth about it which will of course kill the deal for everyone else. please try to keep zip
That horse has already left the barn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.