Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:00 am

We seem to be back in business. Mint Email on 12/03 sez' my backordered presidentials will ship 12/18.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Anytime a story like this one hits the media, it kills the deal.

In this case, I am somewhat comforted by the fact that A) there's no way the mint didn't know this was going on and B) it's too much of a pain in the tuchus for most people to do, as opposed to ordering savings bonds with a credit card, which could be completed with the click of a mouse and no coins to deposit.

The biggest danger here is not that too many people start doing it but rather, now that all of the details are "out in the open," somebody puts pressure on the mint to do something about it other than sending a letter.

Mike

In this case, WSJ is not going to do a breaking news by any means.

http://consumerist.com/2009/10/free-...or-gamble.html

Consumerist, Fatwallet, Slickdeals, and some newspapers have reported this months ago...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadiver
We seem to be back in business. Mint Email on 12/03 sez' my backordered presidentials will ship 12/18.
sorry to break it to you, but I had gotten a few of those as the shipping date was 1 day away and it was changed. to know if its the truth or not check out the mints site and see if they are pushing the shipping date off again, on theit site and not on Track Order, if the site is showing a date after 12/18 then I wouldnt wait around on 12/19 for a pkg

The good news is it does seem they will be shipping some of the Pres today.

Since my order is a combo of a couple in stock and a couple BOed I guess they will hold on to everything and ship it as 1 order.

Ok yesterday Adams & Madison were showing 12/8 today its 12/10 & 12/11

Jefferson & Jackson were 12/18 now its 12/19

Washington is now 12/11 also changed

So it does look as if they will start up again only When is the Question

Last edited by craz; Dec 4, 2009 at 8:26 am
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by scubadiver
I think the real key is when they switch from backordered to "in stock and reserved"
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mrpickles
In the past I called and was told I could only apply one gift cert per order. I decided to not buy the certs.
Thanks for the clarification. I did not know that. We'll have to keep looking...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:57 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Small orders are delivered by USPS and you do not have any method to track the shipment. Is this wise to do at Christmas time?
Emphatically no. USPS didnäd deliver one box and claimed it was stolen from my mailbox. The mint had it listed as a return and sent a second box FedEx. No help from the PO, good CS from the mint.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lili
Emphatically no. USPS didnäd deliver one box and claimed it was stolen from my mailbox. The mint had it listed as a return and sent a second box FedEx. No help from the PO, good CS from the mint.
You get UPS next day air on orders over $300, so that's every order of 2 boxes or more. Check the US Mint site to make sure. I'd make sure I ordered 2 boxes of each president I was ordering, rather than ordering one of one president, one of another, one of another, and so on, because the orders might get broken up and one or more of the presidents sent USPS. This happened to a friend of mine. Everything got delivered OK, but some of the boxes came in 1-box shipments sent USPS.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:46 am

Aside from using another person's name/address, is there a way around the $500 per President limit? Any "tips" appreciated.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I don't think you have anything to worry about as he has been in regular contact with Randy and has proven to be a FT fan.

I would be very suprised that he would turn on us and write an article portraying us as fleecers for participating in a government program that is available to all citizens.

I suspect the angle is more on our being creative to fullfill our passion for flying.
I agree -- he was really nice at the DO!:-:
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Aside from using another person's name/address, is there a way around the $500 per President limit? Any "tips" appreciated.
Just place another order. There's a button called "quick checkout" or something like that that does make it quick.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pawtim
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Just place another order. There's a button called "quick checkout" or something like that that does make it quick.
There has been experience posted here that one must allow a few months to pass before attempting to re-order the 'same' prez -- the Mint has been known to cancel orders -- no reason given.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: All, but no status!

True, that has been reported and has been the case for me sometimes. But it is also true that sometimes it works. I've not had a pres order cancelled for any reason for the past 3 months, and that "quick checkout" button means I can place an order in about a minute, so there's no harm in trying.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:33 am

John Adams are now the only one showing the possibility of availability on 12/10. The rest are back to 12/20 again (synching with the ones moving a day later every day).
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
John Adams are now the only one showing the possibility of availability on 12/10. The rest are back to 12/20 again (synching with the ones moving a day later every day).
My (back)order for John Adams shows a 12/10 ship date -- but TJs just say 'in stock and reserved'!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mnmag
My (back)order for John Adams shows a 12/10 ship date -- but TJs just say 'in stock and reserved'!
I have 3 orders which all show the following:

Madison: "in stock and reserved"
Jefferson: "in stock and reserved"
Adams: BO exp ship 12/10
Jackson: BO exp ship 12/10
Washington: BO exp ship 12/11

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.