Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by jdivenere
Do these articles worry anyone? I worry only because one article said they called the mint and the mint had no idea this was happening...

Have articles come out in the past about this?
Yes, about.com talked about this over a year ago:

http://coins.about.com/b/2008/07/04/...ld-success.htm

Originally Posted by josephstern
That MainStreet article is pathetic. Here's the paragraph Consumerist quoted:

Credit card companies? They win - that's been discussed here plenty.

$20 for a few minutes of effort? Takes a bit longer.

ALSO getting points or air miles? Show me the card with a 2% reward AND miles or points.

Here's the full article link:

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/sm...am-scam?page=1
+1

Obviously a poorly written article, and they were to lazy to bother fact checking. I'd argue that Credit Card companies are making more than we are on this deal.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by gomike
Has anyone bought money orders from the USPS with these yet, just wondering how it went.
As someone else said, this has been discussed;however, those discussions seemed positive and I was inspired to do this with negative results. I went to buy the MO's, showing a printout of the "Domestic Mail manual" that someone earlier linked. The guy at the counter checked with the local manager, who said all coins must be unrolled. So I started unrolling them while the counter guy was counting them. (Sure enough, each roll contains 25!). Meanwhile the local manager called his boss at the big 24/7 post office a few blocks away and came out to stop the process. By that time, we had unrolled $225 worth of coins which were piled up on the counter.
After some minor negotiation we agreed that I could buy a MO for $223.90 + fee, but that's it.

So, this was not a good experience and I wouldn't suggest it for anyone else. It took a pretty long time, didn't deal with much volume, and cost a fee.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Andy2
If it ends, I'm sure all of us participants will keep a dollar coin as a momento of this great program. The question is whether we will sneak that dollar out of a roll and still deposit the roll as being worth $25 at the bank.
have you ever wondered why banks accept rolls? have you ever kept a roll for your own use? if a coin has been taken out of a roll, it is OBVIOUS.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:35 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
My Post Office Guy

Looked at me and said:

"Man, this ain't right"

and then gave me my two $500 money orders

Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pawtim
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As someone else said, this has been discussed;however, those discussions seemed positive and I was inspired to do this with negative results. I went to buy the MO's, showing a printout of the "Domestic Mail manual" that someone earlier linked. The guy at the counter checked with the local manager, who said all coins must be unrolled. So I started unrolling them while the counter guy was counting them. (Sure enough, each roll contains 25!). Meanwhile the local manager called his boss at the big 24/7 post office a few blocks away and came out to stop the process. By that time, we had unrolled $225 worth of coins which were piled up on the counter.
After some minor negotiation we agreed that I could buy a MO for $223.90 + fee, but that's it.

So, this was not a good experience and I wouldn't suggest it for anyone else. It took a pretty long time, didn't deal with much volume, and cost a fee.
Similarly, my local Post Office told me I could bring in $200-$300 max in coins at a time.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:50 am

Found another use for them -- I just paid my barber for a haircut -- he got a kick out of MVB's hairstyle on the coin. I can picture him showing the coins to customers the rest of the day and asking if they want the Van Buren cut!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Similarly, my local Post Office told me I could bring in $200-$300 max in coins at a time.
You're only doing that to be nice, right? The only limit should be that at $3k per day or more they are required to fill out a report on you, as they are required by federal law to accept the coins (and in fact through their vending machines it would appear to be a pretty big distributor of coins as well).
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by leisure32
How long did it take to run that much through?
Two hours. I prescored each roll by slicing it down the center with a knife. That way I could break it open very easily and quickly. I was doing one roll every 3 seconds.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Andy2
No, you don't need to report anything.

They probably filled out a report that you deposited more than $10,000 cash. A lot of these are filed. The various "law enforcement" agencies have access to these reports. If a "law enforcement" agency has reason to believe someone is doing something illegal, they will cross-reference him to these reports. For instance, if DEA thinks someone is a drug dealer, the existence of these reports might cause them to go from mere suspicion to a larger examination. So many of these are filed that most experts say they are no big deal.

Some of us try to deposit less than $10,000 (and in fact possess less than $10,000) at a time to minimize the filing of these reports. But if you purposely conduct your activities to avoid having these reports filed, you commit the crime of Structuring. This is a vague, subjective crime and no one can fully describe when actions rise to the level of Structuring.

It is possible that a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) was filed, but that is less likely. The SAR is similar to the "more than $10,000" report. It lets the "law enforcemrnt" agencies know that there is something suspicious about this person's activities. The report details what those suspicious activities are. If the financial institution describes the coin depositing activity, many of us think that the SAR is harmless, since enough of them have likely been filed to cause the "law enforcement" agencies to know that "coin churning" is not related to illegal activity.

Hey, thanks for the info. I doubt it was a SAR then, because the bank manager started doing it herself. Thanks, I'm no longer worried!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:34 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by ingy
Looked at me and said:

"Man, this ain't right"

and then gave me my two $500 money orders

Man, this ain't right, is right. It's money. I don't see why the PO has a problem with taking it, other than the postal workers don't want to spend the time on it and maybe there's a problem with secure storage space. It's not as if you are dumping your 5-gallon water bottle full of change collected since childhood on the counter and asking them to count it.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Had an interesting conversation with the Mint today as one of my orders bounced because of an expired credit card.

I called up them up and I asked if I could replace the order on the NA's.

"Sure", she said. "How many do you want?"

"How about fifty thousand?" I asked.

"Okay, that's fine. You can have as many as you want."

"So what's my total?" I ask.

"That'll be $12 million dollars please!"

"NO!" I exclaimed, laughing heartily, "I meant $50-thousand dollars... not 50-thousand boxes!"

Nonetheless, my $50k order also didn't go through so I am hoping one for $20k might!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:01 pm

US Mint Circulating Coin Production in September 2009
Native American $1
Denver 10,080,000
Philadelphia 10,080,000
Total 20,160,000

Presidential $1s
Denver 12,460,000
Philadelphia 28,140,000
Total 40,600,000

http://www.coinnews.net/2009/10/05/c...intages-known/
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:59 am

The circulating YTD total production figures seem odd. About 70 million NAs vs about 270 million of the 3 presidential dollars minted this year, if I'm reading that correctly. If FTers were having a major impact, I'd expect the number of NAs to be much higher than pres, due to no order limit on the former.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by pawtim

The circulating YTD total production figures seem odd. About 70 million NAs vs about 270 million of the 3 presidential dollars minted this year, if I'm reading that correctly. If FTers were having a major impact, I'd expect the number of NAs to be much higher than pres, due to no order limit on the former.
Congress has mandated that at least 20% of the $1 coins be the Native American coins. My guess is that people actually want the presidential coins which is why there are limits attached whereas almost all of the circulation of the NAs are through this program.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Timing next delivery?

Now that the back order date is no longer showing for the NA, has anyone seen coins coming in less than a week. I want to schedule my next big order to arrive when I'm in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.