Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HLS2002
In the lobby of the Mint's DC offices, you can't buy the circulating rolls over the counter. They only sell the collectible (i.e., seriously marked-up) items. Although they have 2 machines that make available the latest dollar coin issues at face value for circulation (plus a state quarters machine), these machines only take cash.
There is a workaround you can use to earn credit card rewards buying coins from the machine. What you do is, you use your credit card to buy dollar coins using the US Mint Direct Ship program, and then you use some of those coins in the machine. . .

Oh wait. . .

If they have stuff later than Jackson, though, I'm definitely checking it out if I visit DC.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:50 pm

Did I miss ssomething?

Isn't the object here to earn miles through use of a cc? The poster above clearly states, "these machines require cash."

ralph
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:51 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by beckoa
And paying the airlines using dollar coins

(Wouldn't they just love that )
Not quite the same scale, but on an AC flight this week I bought some snacks with my Adams coins. The FA LOVED them and bought a bunch from me.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unusual delivery status information

I wonder anyone has experienced similar thing recently?

Last night I got a Mint shipping notification email of a $750 NA order.

The first thing I notice is, instead of a 2-numbers Tracking ID (the 910xx and the real UPS 1ZExx), there is an extra line of 6318xx on top of the normal 2 numbers.

I dont recall any package shipped in the past via UPS NDA has the 6318xx ID.

The UPS tracking number is a live one, but again, something is missing -

All UPS shipment details I have had in the past, started with "Billing Information Received" with the time stamp. However, this info is missing on this particular tracking detail. It starts immediately with "Origin Scan".

Another oddity is, at the top of the UPS Tracking Page, the "Scheduled Delivery" and "Ship To" are missing. All it has is "in transit". I thought in the past, even it is "in transit", it still shows the "Scheduled Delivery" (with "on time" indication, too) and "Ship To" information.

To add more confusion to the mix, the package has gone to Miami, instead of Ft. Lauderdale. Arrival scan is 8:07AM Saturday. No more movement since then.

This prompts me to call the Mint to verify the ship-to address, which is correctly shown in Mint's system.

All previous packages except one, went to Ft.Lauderdale, and then out to depot near us in an hour or two. There was one package went to Orlando a few months ago, but that was UPS Ground for the Prez coins.

According to the UPS site, NDA is next business day air. I imagine the package would just sit at Miami location till Monday they truck it up to the UPS depot of our area for delivery.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Happy

The first thing I notice is, instead of a 2-numbers Tracking ID (the 910xx and the real UPS 1ZExx), there is an extra line of 6318xx on top of the normal 2 numbers.
I got a ship confirmation last night and the shipping info included the 6318# and the 1ZE UPS#. According to UPS site, I see the same oddities that you are seeing. We'll see when they arrive.

On a different note: I actually feel kinda bad about doing this. I always go to the local Wachovias and I know that they have to ship them back. I found out today that they have to unroll each roll, put them in bags and then ship them back. The friendly teller was telling me that she used to use a utility knife to open the rolls until she cut herself "too many times". I offered to unroll them and put them in bags for future deposits, but they said that'd be more work because they'd have to count the coins by hand since they don't have a machine there to do it (seems rather odd to me). Maybe I'll start using Chase or another bank so I don't have to burden one with too many coins at once.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:20 pm

According to the UPS site, NDA is next business day air. I imagine the package would just sit at Miami location till Monday they truck it up to the UPS depot of our area for delivery.
You're right. From my recent experience, UPS doesn't deliver the boxes on Saturday. The package will be delivered on Monday.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
You're right. From my recent experience, UPS doesn't deliver the boxes on Saturday. The package will be delivered on Monday.
Yes, you are right, I ship some 500 UPS packages weekly. UPS will deliver on Saturday for a minimum of $15 over the already outrageous overnight fees but this has to be specially arranged and marked as such. Occasionally, I get customers ordering on Friday for overnight and try to call them asking whether they expect Saturday delivery as not to disappoint them...
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Correct-

My order is sitting in ANC right now - arriving from Louisville on a 747 @ 8 AM ... and I drove relatively close to their sorting facility tonight- oh well, I'll get it on Monday. (Yes, I use flightaware to track my package's flights )
Old Jul 26, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
I'm in the same boat

My $2K worth of NA coins are sitting in a warehouse in Buffalo this weekend ... Just a few miles away from our address in the Buffalo suburbs. As We live in Canada most of the time, we'll have to wait to Saturday to pick up the coins and then run, run, run to local HSBCs (who have been real friendly about taking our deposits in dollar coins).
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I got a ship confirmation last night and the shipping info included the 6318# and the 1ZE UPS#. According to UPS site, I see the same oddities that you are seeing. We'll see when they arrive.
My package arrived today, as usual; so even though there were oddities with the UPS tracking, there were no issues with the shipment!

And for those of you with paranoia: The $250 boxes now come with a barcode and time/date stamp on each box, instead of the little white stickers! If you're worried that they might be tracking who is buying coins only to deposit them: just rip the box where the time/date stamp is located. However, I'm sure a lot of banks just toss the boxes when they put the coins in bags, so there shouldn't be a real concern.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:47 am
Suspended

However, I'm sure a lot of banks just toss the boxes when they put the coins in bags, so there shouldn't be a real concern.
Boxes? who deposits them in their boxes? Not I from get go

I rather like the new plastic holders alot easier to deal with and throw away
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Boxes? who deposits them in their boxes? Not I from get go

I've found the boxes work best for me. I put $500 into each box by putting the rolls on their side and aligning them properly. This way I can get 2500 or 3000 into the bank at a trip (my Wachovia much prefers large deposits because they just ship them back, and they'd rather do them all at once).

I'd also prefer if the plastic holders were recycleable so that there would be no waste created in the process.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My package arrived today, as usual; so even though there were oddities with the UPS tracking, there were no issues with the shipment!
Ditto here. Except there is no automatic phone call at 8am announcing a UPS delivery. The guy just showed up around 9:35am.

Originally Posted by craz
Boxes? who deposits them in their boxes? Not I from get go.

What new plastic tray? I do not notice they are "new" type?

Both my BofA and Wachovia like to have the boxes/trays - much easier for the teller to handle. Never hear about they have to unroll and count the coins. But then the largest value on one go so far was $1,500 - 6 boxes. The Wachovia teller jokingly said, "What do you get for me?!" Then she asked, "You ordered them?" I answered positively and that was the end of story. She did notice they were of different "names" - yeah, they are different presidents in our history... My usual BofA teller does not bother to look at the boxes any more.

I've found the boxes work best for me. I put $500 into each box by putting the rolls on their side and aligning them properly. This way I can get 2500 or 3000 into the bank at a trip (my Wachovia much prefers large deposits because they just ship them back, and they'd rather do them all at once).
How you guys can lug these many coins are beyond me. I could hardly carry $1500 worth. I think the main reason the coins are not popular is due to the weight. Why cant they make the coin lighter weight, with different size than the Quarter? People would be much more willing to use the dollar coin if they are not so heavy, and not so easily be confused with Quarters.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:12 pm

Both my BofA and Wachovia like to have the boxes/trays - much easier for the teller to handle. Never hear about they have to unroll and count the coins.
Since my places have to carry them to the back, they like as few packages as possible; so long as they're light enough for the ladies to carry.

The teller told me that as long as they're rolled from The Mint, they don't have to count the coins, just crack them open & put X into a bag for return. When I offered to take some bags with me, crack them myself and just return the full bags, they HATED that idea because then they'd have to count them one at a time.

How you guys can lug these many coins are beyond me. I could hardly carry $1500 worth.
If I put 500/box, I can put 4 or 5 boxes up my left arm. That leaves my right/dominant hand to grab the last box, push the lock button & shut the car door. I use my right hand to open the doors on the way in. Sure, it's a bit heavy in my left arm, but it's not like I'm walking for miles that way; just across the lot & into the lobby.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:28 pm

same thing for me but instead of getting 2 boxes I only received 1. Half of my order is missing somewhere. Has anyone recently had multiple boxes ($2500 per box) shipped together and arriving different days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.