Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:12 am

I agree with most of what you said! It will end but I just think it will end FASTER with all the idiots in this thread (and others) doing $10K+ per week.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
I agree with most of what you said! It will end but I just think it will end FASTER with all the idiots in this thread (and others) doing $10K+ per week.
I agree with you 100%. I also like what rrgg wrote:

Originally Posted by rrgg
Every one of these loopholes seem to go through the same phases before it dies abruptly.

With all of the recent comments, we've finally reached the 4th stage.
  1. Disbelief - Can this really work? There must be some mistake.
  2. Elation - It really works! I can finally take that dream vacation.
  3. Irrational Exuberance - I found something too good to be true. I have to tell someone.
  4. Denial - It can never end. I'll chit-chat with the [airline / bank / credit card rep / customer service / fill-in here]. Boy will they be impressed and happy I'm helping promote their program.
  5. Remorse - How could it end so soon?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by tranzformer
I agree with you 100%. I also like what rrgg wrote:

That is soooo awesome! Thanks for pointing it out as I missed it initially. So very very very true.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by emmpee
The Mint does not care what the bank thinks about having too many dollar coins. The Mint's job is to get them into circulation.
How do you know that the mint doesn't care what the banks think? Nobody really knows BUT....

Overall, what would be a more prudent action to take since none of know what the mint thinks. Keep this deal on the down low and quiet or brag and shout to every bank what brillant scheme you are doing and dump $10K+ a week a the branch.

We will soon be in the remorse stage and you'll be the first in line.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
In my opinion the Mods should close this thread for all of the reasons stated the past few weeks. It's not performing any type of service any longer...
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by primusux
In my opinion the Mods should close this thread for all of the reasons stated the past few weeks. It's not performing any type of service any longer...
In my opinion, discussions of how this works, why it works, who makes money and who doesn't is perfectly germaine to this thread.

However, some of the references to other members are approaching the line. Let's be careful, so that we can keep this valuable thread open.

Aviators99
MilesBuzz!

Last edited by aviators99; Jul 7, 2009 at 3:04 pm
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I'd just like to report that my mother ran into a problem with her coins. I believe many posts ago, someone mentioned a similar problem about receiving an empty box.

I ordered $250 for her about two weeks ago. (She didn't want to order more even though I tried to convince her to at least order $500 so it would be shipped UPS.) I guess the Mint shipped the coins to her via US mail and left it in her mailbox. Strange thing is that the box was sealed. When she opened it, the little box that usually contains the plastic cases with the coins was open. There was no paperwork inside and only the empty plastic cases were inside.

She called them and they sent her some form to fill out that takes a month to be reviewed.

I was always worried something like this could happen. If I remember the other poster, he had to wait the month but then eventually got a refund.

I'd like to report that I ordered several grand in coins and haven't had a problem.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:03 pm

I had a box that was "delivered" to my building but I never got it. It took about a month and I had to fill out a form from the Mint but they eventually shipped me a replacement box of coins. Still sucks to be out of the money for about a month but she should be made whole by the mint.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:13 pm

How'd it go?

Originally Posted by mrx900
Exactly.....I bring in maybe 2500 each MONTH and this stupid manager is complaining, to which I have a meeting scheduled with her supervisor Monday to 'discuss the matter' (see my previous posts)..

but I will be careful as to not kill the goose that lays the golden egg....if I see the discussion goin' nowhere, I will simply smile and leave courteously, and just start going to Wells Fargo.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Please help me understand something-

Some of you are upset about some of us ordering in larger quantities (and I am not one of those 10K per week people - I think that is excessive and potentially abusive of the bank(s).) The most I have ever ordered and deposited is 5K in a single order and the most frequent was 2 x in a month to the same financial institution, usually several weeks apart. I may have ordered/recieved a greater dollar amount than $10K, but when I did, it was deposited to several financial institutions and should have no impact on a single bank or branch.

You are concerned that this will cause the program to prematurely end and to prolong the experience want us to order and deposit in smaller quantities for a longer period of time? So in what quantities? $250 $500?

And you don't see that you would be making 10 deposits at $500 to one deposit at $5,000? And, if you did it for ten weeks at $500 that you would have the same result as one week at $5000? Or if you did one a month at $5,000 that it may be actually less of a hassle for the bank? Have you asked them? I have and make my orders and deposits according to what they feel works best for them.

So, let's say you want to keep this program going for as long as possible. Am I correct that the objective is to earn points and miles? And, lets say there is a two year period of which this program runs.

So that no one gets upset, how many coins/points/miles is it reasonable to expect that in a two year period one could/should earn? Now this is without pissing anyone from the coin police off - so how much could one earn and not get you mad or ?

And your expectation is that it should be achieved in what quantity and frequency so as not to jeopardize the longevity of the program?

As we have learned from the other earnings opportunities like this one (and I did benefit from the Savings Bond program) - most do have a "run time." So wouldn't the best way to earn the points and miles be to earn as many as practically possible in as short a time as possible or am I missing something?

If your expectation is that one could earn "x" points/miles over a finite period of time, what is the harm in doing so in the shortest period of time possible?

Or is it that those who are upset do not have ample credit lines to achieve what others have?

I don't resent being called "rich" and I am hardly wealthy. Ironically, I have far less than many of my peers, yet travel better than my wealthiest clients. What I have done is diligently read and studied the many sites and threads put forward by people passionate about free travel and maximized the earnings power of transactions I make in my daily life. And, as a result, have earned enough points and miles to travel well.

Yet, I am willing to share what works well for me and do not feel by doing so I have in any way jeopardized the ability of others to do so.

Funny, no one has commented on the suggestion by others that we lie about the source of the coins to perpetuate longevity of the program......... so does that mean you condone such behavior?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrAAmer

Funny, no one has commented on the suggestion by others that we lie about the source of the coins to perpetuate longevity of the program......... so does that mean you condone such behavior?
If anyone wants to do as I do and say someone paid you what they owed you this way. Make sure you do as I do, I open the big box , then each small box and dump the rolls out of the plastic into a tough plastic bag and bring them in that way. Otherwise it wont Jive
Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by aviators99
In my opinion, discussions of how this works, why it works, who makes money and who doesn't is perfectly germaine to this thread.
As this thread approaches 2800 posts, are you really finding any new discussions of how this works and why it works?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by craz
If anyone wants to do as I do and say someone paid you what they owed you this way. Make sure you do as I do, I open the big box , then each small box and dump the rolls out of the plastic into a tough plastic bag and bring them in that way. Otherwise it wont Jive
In the past 3 months, I've paid:
--A pool refinisher $1k in coins, $750 still in the box, the rest in rolls
--A babysitter $250 in rolls, some loose
--Pizza dude $100 in rolls
--Nanny $3000 in rolls
--Housekeeper $1600 in rolls
Oh, and I almost forgot... a couple thousand at Costco. 2% back beats Amex points.

I know for a fact that the housekeeper and babysitter take their rolls to the same bank I deposit my coins at. The nanny goes all over, preferring to spend them at WalMart. Not sure what the pool refinisher did... he was going to Costa Rica and I suggested he take them there.

I leave my coins in the rolls inside open boxes. It doesn't change the level of grief I get from my local BOA... meaning, they're resigned to taking them but also determined to let me know that they think the coins are a total PIA. They've asked me and I've told them that some dude likes to pay me in coins. No more, no less. Just a simple shrug of the shoulders and an eyeroll to emphasize what a jerk this dude must be.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz
Why lie to the bank about a perfectly legal transaction? If you are embarrassed about what you are doing or for whatever reason you don't want to tell about the program, change the subject or don't say anything.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gejone
Why lie to the bank about a perfectly legal transaction? If you are embarrassed about what you are doing or for whatever reason you don't want to tell about the program, change the subject or don't say anything.
IMO not answering them will raise their suspicion even more. Id rather put it to bed and not have to deal with it every time I go in.

its not 100% legal its 10,000% legal , but so are any # of things yet it will raise an eyebrow

embarrassed who Me?? no way. Just as others have reported their Banks or Branches put an end to it, so why risk it I say.

do you always explain to the Carriers what youre doing when doing a MR? or Hotels if staying in the same city and Hotel hopping, I dont explain why Im checking out today but will be back tommorrow and back 2 nights later again. I simply do my thing. And if need be drop a bag with the Bell person and tell them when Ill be back, no need to explain anything to anyone.PERIOD

Then there are those who are simply blabber mouths and Think they will be held in high esteem after explaining everything to the Employees

To each their own. I prefer to try my best to stay beneath the radar, even if what Im doing is 10,000% OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.