Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:40 pm

What would you guys do in this situation. Like I said before, I've been very good about distributing the coins to various branches, instead of just dumping a boat load on them at one time. One manager did complain and said I had to pay a fee for each bag of coins and when I asked to show me the fees in print, she brought back the business accounts fee which don't apply to me. I pointed that out and she didn't really have an answer, she wasn't being too much of a pain about it though and I didn't want to start trouble for nothing. So I just simply stated that every other week or so I may deposit coins. I was thinking of just paying the fee if she is willing to take the coins at her branch. It's $3 a bag and I might even end up ahead because I have to sometimes drive to a far away branch to deposit the coins. I guess in principle I can just dump the coins on them and insist that they take it without a fee since my account has no associated fees with coin deposits, but I can understand the manager's point of view, where personal accounts usually don't have a lot of coins to deposit in the first place. I've gone to plenty of branches that don't even blink an eye when I deposit these coins. They just take it with a smile, except that one branch in the beginning where dropped off a huge batch and the teller had to unroll them for 3 hours. But I avoid that branch out of shame...hahaha....
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
As this thread approaches 2800 posts, are you really finding any new discussions of how this works and why it works?
My opinion is not limited to those things. There are plenty of useful posts, as evidenced by the fact that it is well-read, and quite active.

The moderators will continue to actively monitor this thread. So long as there aren't any further comments that could be construed as containing personal attacks, the thread can remain open and nobody need be suspended.

No need to post that you think the thread should be closed, just because you find it disinteresting. Just skip reading it. If you want to keep reading it, you don't have to worry about questionable personal statements anymore.

Once again, further discussion of how the forum is moderated should be via PM, and not within the thread. All such postings will be deleted.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Funny, no one has commented on the suggestion by others that we lie about the source of the coins to perpetuate longevity of the program......... so does that mean you condone such behavior?
Can't possibly attempt to answer this post but will answer this question. YES!!!!!

ps. I have 'ample' credit lines to order over $100K/month if I so chose, but I don't choose to do so out of respect for the "financial deal Gods." And in no way does this imply that I am wealthy, I am a student (lol at the credit bubble)!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I'd just like to report that my mother ran into a problem with her coins. I believe many posts ago, someone mentioned a similar problem about receiving an empty box.

I ordered $250 for her about two weeks ago. (She didn't want to order more even though I tried to convince her to at least order $500 so it would be shipped UPS.) I guess the Mint shipped the coins to her via US mail and left it in her mailbox. Strange thing is that the box was sealed. When she opened it, the little box that usually contains the plastic cases with the coins was open. There was no paperwork inside and only the empty plastic cases were inside.

She called them and they sent her some form to fill out that takes a month to be reviewed.

I was always worried something like this could happen. If I remember the other poster, he had to wait the month but then eventually got a refund.

I'd like to report that I ordered several grand in coins and haven't had a problem.
I posted this a few pages back. I ordered $2000 worth and they were shipped as $1500 in one box (all there) and $500 in another box where $250 was missing.

I just received the paper work the other day and sent it in... time will tell what happens with the missing $250 of NA.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
On a different thought, has anyone thought about converting the coins into money orders at the post office or Walmart?

I know you lose a little bit on the transaction but it is very tiny. Looks like you can get a money order from Walmart for 46 cents (not sure what the max is, maybe $1000?) and at the post office for $1.30 up to a max of $1000.

Then just deposit the MO to your bank.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by r.brown
On a different thought, has anyone thought about converting the coins into money orders at the post office or Walmart?

I know you lose a little bit on the transaction but it is very tiny. Looks like you can get a money order from Walmart for 46 cents (not sure what the max is, maybe $1000?) and at the post office for $1.30 up to a max of $1000.

Then just deposit the MO to your bank.
but that costs money....every cent counts! also who agrees with me that the last few posts are long and getting longer? come on everyone keep your thoughts short a sweet!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:56 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Can't possibly attempt to answer this post but will answer this question. YES!!!!!

ps. I have 'ample' credit lines to order over $100K/month if I so chose, but I don't choose to do so out of respect for the "financial deal Gods." And in no way does this imply that I am wealthy, I am a student (lol at the credit bubble)!
Not to mention that you would have to deal with depositing them.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by ned
Not to mention that you would have to deal with depositing them.
Lol!

I'd say that's about 95% of the reason.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emma dog
In the past 3 months, I've paid:
--A pool refinisher $1k in coins, $750 still in the box, the rest in rolls
--A babysitter $250 in rolls, some loose
--Pizza dude $100 in rolls
--Nanny $3000 in rolls
--Housekeeper $1600 in rolls
Oh, and I almost forgot... a couple thousand at Costco. 2% back beats Amex points.
I have to say that I like that you are putting them in circulation.
My mother liked ordering the coins to pay the landscaper.

I use them frequently at this burger place near ORD (Paradise Pup) that only takes cash. Some friends that go there have reported seeing other people using the dollar coins which I'm guessing might be Flyertalk people since I've seen the place mentioned in a thread in the Chicago forum.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:50 am

Does anyone have any idea how many people are doing this play. I would define that as anyone who has ordered say $5k or more exclusively for earning points/miles?

I don't know how a guess would be wagered, but i would think people who do this would be more likely to participate in this discussion - so I am not sure there is a large silent majority here?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Lol!

I'd say that's about 95% of the reason.
True, I do about $4k/month and deposit in $250 increments at about 7 different bank branches. Of course this is easier for me being in NYC and surrounded by bank branches.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:52 am
Original Member

I am doing 15K a month, with three orders per month of 5K each. One order each on my Starwood Amex, Hilton Amex, and United Visa. Deposit 1K at a time in each of 5 banks with branches near the office. I was planning on 5K per week but with shipping delays and days out of the office, I usually only get three per month. I like to be in the office when the boxes arrive. Crossing my fingers that it stays alive until I reach some points/miles goals.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I too have been doing my part. I've been paying with coins at all the restaurants that take cash only. I figure that's the point of the program.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
May have gotten lost in the too numerous posts/pages but dont forget about paying your mortgage! I pay with the coins!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:51 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
I don't resent being called "rich" and I am hardly wealthy. Ironically, I have far less than many of my peers, yet travel better than my wealthiest clients. What I have done is diligently read and studied the many sites and threads put forward by people passionate about free travel and maximized the earnings power of transactions I make in my daily life. And, as a result, have earned enough points and miles to travel well.
Well put. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.