Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by r.brown
On a different thought, has anyone thought about converting the coins into money orders at the post office or Walmart?

I know you lose a little bit on the transaction but it is very tiny. Looks like you can get a money order from Walmart for 46 cents (not sure what the max is, maybe $1000?) and at the post office for $1.30 up to a max of $1000.

Then just deposit the MO to your bank.
Are Walmart and the PO equipped for this type of transaction?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I was in the market for a new bike and asked if they'll give me a discount if I paid cash. 3 boxes of NA's later, I got my Specialized Allez.

I'm not in the market for a new car (maybe next year), but would love to plop down a bunch of boxes to get around the cc limits that dealers impose on purchasing a new car.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by blankeeta
No idea - I do not have a clue on how either of those businesses operate.

My guess is Walmart does enough cash transactions every day that they constantly have a cash truck coming for pickups.

Maybe the PO will feed them into their machines to give as change.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blankeeta

I think before anyone starts this process to stop and think about the issue you would be causing a store or the PO. Yes, it's legal tender, but a lot of stores won't take rolled coins for purchases as they've been burnt by fraud, think of slugs and washers inserted into rolls. I think a $250 box would blow them away. If you're looking to spend money that's one issue, but changing to MO's would be a hassle and a waste of money. Find a nice bank.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

So you're the other one the banks are talking about when I deposit my coins in NYC banks. I made a $250 deposit at Chase and they said someone was just here and also deposited $250 in $1 coins.

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
True, I do about $4k/month and deposit in $250 increments at about 7 different bank branches. Of course this is easier for me being in NYC and surrounded by bank branches.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid a library fine in coins. Of course I would have preferred not to have the fine in the first place.

Also supported local farmers by using the coins at the farmers market
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by anbhc
So you're the other one the banks are talking about when I deposit my coins in NYC banks. I made a $250 deposit at Chase and they said someone was just here and also deposited $250 in $1 coins.
lol where at?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Upper East side of Manhattan
lol where at?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:06 pm

Nope, I've only done the upper West side. There are apparently lots of us in the big Apple.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Nope, I've only done the upper West side. There are apparently lots of us in the big Apple.
and a good thing everyone isnt bringing in a min of $5k
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by anbhc
Guess it wasn't me...I dropped $1K off at Chase in the EV

One new and different thing happened...They asked me if they could keep the cardboard boxes.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
wonder why you can no longer check the status of my order via phone. I was able to do this in the past using the automated system, but now the system keeps transferring me to an agent.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by aaron1262
wonder why you can no longer check the status of my order via phone. I was able to do this in the past using the automated system, but now the system keeps transferring me to an agent.
You can still check them online.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
I go to a bank in midtown in 1k-2k increments... they don't mind.. they (the tellers) actually prefer to get them in the original boxes
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze
I go to a bank in midtown in 1k-2k increments... they don't mind.. they (the tellers) actually prefer to get them in the original boxes
That's because they can store them until they have 2K. Once they have 2K they have to break them down and put them into a burlap sack to be transported elsewhere.

If people REALLY wanted to try to work within the system to keep this alive as long as possible they'd bring the coins already broken down to the branches after talking with a manager. My bank is MUCH happer this way. They do not have to spend resources (teller time) to break the coins down and are, because of that, willing to accept whatever I would bring in without hassle. When I used to bring them in still in the plastic trays they were NOT happy (but took them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.