Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:50 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA AA LifetimePLT-2MM; SPG Platinum; HHDiamond
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
If the US Mint is looking at this thread I am sure they can figure out that lots of coins are being sold for the purpose of earning miles/points. Listing my amount isn't going to make a difference
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobster
I have purchased $41k in the last two weeks. All arriving within 5 working days of the order and all overnight. WF branch in my office bldg is taking all deposits in their trays without any problems. Wonder how long this is going to last. What is the most that anyone has purchased?

Now we know why they were out of inventory.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by gejone
The unofficial policy on this thread is to not post your total's purchased. Some will say we don't want to kill the golden goose. There are FT'ers that have purchased less and some that have purchased a lot more than others. Thanks for your consideration.
^^

I'm on the low end, prefer to remain relatively anonymous. Sharing methods, information about how the orders work, GREAT!

Reporting your spend? Why would one brag about that?

Speculation about how long this will last, what our crazy remarks mean: Stupid. Just doesn't matter and doesn't belong in this thread.

That said, "NA's now available" is an alert most of us want to see.

Tred gently, with the US Mint and each other.

Peace

-Pat
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:32 am

I've found the perfect solution now for depositing.

There is a local branch that has an automatic coin counter that spits out a receipt that you take to the teller for deposit to your account at no cost.

It does invovle breaking down all the coins now, but the friendly tellers at the other branches are getting annoyed at the deposits when I walk in with the rolls now.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Originally Posted by cardigans1

There is a local branch that has an automatic coin counter that spits out a receipt that you take to the teller for deposit to your account at no cost.

It does invovle breaking down all the coins now, but the friendly tellers at the other branches are getting annoyed at the deposits when I walk in with the rolls now.
I'm not sure this is much of a breakthrough. The coin counters seem to have a limited capacity, maybe 100 $1 coins. The bank staff will have to come and change the bags constantly if you try to make a meaningful deposit. This is only useful for unloading a few rolls at a time. Of course, that can help make some dent in a backlog of coins.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cardigans1

The other issue is accuracy. From what I've learned the bank's counting machine doesn't like to count $ coins. If you are doing much volume you'll probably have issues.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:21 pm

I'm planning to buy a car soon. Has anyone tried to make a large purchase with these? I intend to pay cash (~$12,000) and if I don't have to convert these to $100's it'd be much easier.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:33 pm
ecq

Originally Posted by johndunn2
I'm planning to buy a car soon. Has anyone tried to make a large purchase with these? I intend to pay cash (~$12,000) and if I don't have to convert these to $100's it'd be much easier.
they should take it. some people have paid their mortgage, baby sitters and pizza men with these rolls.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by johndunn2
If you pay for the car with cash or coin and the amount is over $10,000 that will trigger a Currency Transaction Report requirement. No big deal, but some want to avoid that issue. The report was discussed earlier in this thread.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Also, keep in mind that $12k will weigh about 215 pounds.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:33 pm

Just had a deposit that took way way to long at Bank of America in Arizona and talk with the FBI. I think Bank of America hates these dollar coins and Bank of America issued a fake alert to try and put a stop to the deposits which are perfectly legitimate. The story I recieved was that 3,000 was stolen recently in Native American coin. I deposited 2,500 and that was the trigger. Quite frankly I do not give a darn about BofA who we bailed out with tax payer money but I have no desire to waste time of the FBI which I believe has important work to do.

Last edited by Centurion; Jul 15, 2009 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
did you tell them your name is Frank Abagnale Jr???
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:49 pm

All I know is when I returned to my car there were also two police cars nearby with eye sight. I really think Bank of America hates these coins! FBI+police+ time= time to figure out another way to get miles
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Question How fast does the credit card charge post to your CC?

So I haven't jumped on this before now just because I haven't had the time to be home and get delivery of thousands of dollars of coins -- but now I'm jammed and jumping in.

How fast does the credit card charge post to your CC? (AmEx in my case.)

My predicament is this -- I want Diamond status with Hilton before a trip and my Hilton Surpass AmEx comps me Diamond after $40k in annual spending. Right now, I'm only a few thousand away from that in annual spend, but my billing cycle ends on 7/19 and I'm not sure I'll get the status in time if I don't have $5k in spending hit my account in the next four days.

Thoughts?! Is there any problem with my wife making another $2500 purchase (who has an extra card on my Hilton AmEx account)? I'm assuming form the recent FAQ post by crabbing (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11922122-post2433.html) that I'm limited to $500 per president and that only gets me up to $2500 in spending.

THANKS for helping me out here FT -- I have some back reading to do in this thread obviously, but I'd appreciate any quick help you can give me as I start wading through the thread.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
How fast does the credit card charge post to your CC? (AmEx in my case.)
Lately it's been taking about a week from the order date for the coins to arrive and the charge to post. My last order was on 7/1 and the charge posted 7/7. YMMV but I wouldn't count on them posting by 7/19. Could you make another charge (say, a refundable plane ticket) and refund it after your coin purchase posts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.