Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smcgrath12
Anybody use San Antonio downtown Frost bank? They are only frost bank that has a coin counting machine. The odd thing is, I deposited $2.5K, but the machine came out with $2498.50, which is $1.50 less. I asked the teller about it and she said that I must have some quarters in there. Hmm... I did not argue, I let the $1.50 go as "cost of doing business" as I did not want to piss off the teller and make her recount as I plan to go back there again and again.
From what I've told at my banks, the coin counting machines that the banks typically use have a hard time counting the dollar coins. I had my coins counted once and they were $64 short. They had to recount the machine and finally conceded the machine was wrong as they had opened the rolls themselves. Now if a bank wants to use a counter I leave and go to a different branch, it's not worth the time and hassle.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by gejone
From what I've told at my banks, the coin counting machines that the banks typically use have a hard time counting the dollar coins. I had my coins counted once and they were $64 short. They had to recount the machine and finally conceded the machine was wrong as they had opened the rolls themselves. Now if a bank wants to use a counter I leave and go to a different branch, it's not worth the time and hassle.

Interesting, that it was short by $64, which is massive. How was the original $ amount of deposit?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: AA, CO, US, UA, MX , DL - dirt everywhere
Product unavailable.

oops...waited one day too long!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Anybody use San Antonio downtown Frost bank? They are only frost bank that has a coin counting machine. The odd thing is, I deposited $2.5K, but the machine came out with $2498.50, which is $1.50 less. I asked the teller about it and she said that I must have some quarters in there. Hmm... I did not argue, I let the $1.50 go as "cost of doing business" as I did not want to piss off the teller and make her recount as I plan to go back there again and again.
You want to go to a branch that has a machine that clearly miscounts to your disadvantage 'again and again'?

Unless that is the only bank within 20 miles, I fail to see the loyalty.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75
You want to go to a branch that has a machine that clearly miscounts to your disadvantage 'again and again'?

Unless that is the only bank within 20 miles, I fail to see the loyalty.
I have 2 accounts, one at WF and another at Frost. At WF, you have to hand over the coins to the teller and they count in, while at Frost, the teller does not even touch the coins, so I figured that was the more preferrable option.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
NA are available again.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:18 am

I have 2 accounts, one at WF and another at Frost. At WF, you have to hand over the coins to the teller and they count in, while at Frost, the teller does not even touch the coins, so I figured that was the more preferrable option.
'count in' ?

If you mean just counting the rolls and accepting the deposit, that works for me. B of A used to just count the boxes and accept them unopened until they started getting into this 'coin safe' bag and 'weighing the coins' nonsense.

Nonetheless, you may want to get another account at a different bank as well. Open up the account with coins are you initial deposit or something. Heck, you might even get a free toaster or whatever the local promotion might be

Furthermore... if you don't want to piss off the teller...

... I did not argue, I let the $1.50 go as "cost of doing business" as I did not want to piss off the teller and make her recount as I plan to go back there again and again.
...then you're going to need more than just two branches to be depositing $2.5K every week or two. I guarantee that if you show up to that same bank more than once a month with 100 or more rolls of coins at a time you will piss off the teller (and likely draw attention of the branch manager). They weigh nearly 50 Lbs, and, are a hassle to them.

I personally have 10 branches (3 banks) I alternate between, so that it takes nearly 3 months for me to visit the same branch again.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:36 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by aaron1262
NA are available again.
Saw that earlier today. Was able to place an order ($6,500) and it currently shows as backordered.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Saw that earlier today. Was able to place an order ($6,500) and it currently shows as backordered.
there's now a notice for the NA: "Product will be available for shipping 07/14/2009"

i've never seen that one before.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
'count in' ?

If you mean just counting the rolls and accepting the deposit, that works for me.

Furthermore... if you don't want to piss off the teller...

...then you're going to need more than just two branches to be depositing $2.5K every week or two. I guarantee that if you show up to that same bank more than once a month with 100 or more rolls of coins at a time you will piss off the teller (and likely draw attention of the branch manager). They weigh nearly 50 Lbs, and, are a hassle to them.

I personally have 10 branches (3 banks) I alternate between, so that it takes nearly 3 months for me to visit the same branch again.
"COUNT IN" --> I meant "count it". I still have to open rolls, but the teller will take the bag full of coins, and put them through the counting machine. I don't touch the machine. This is at WF. At Frost, I take the coins and dump them in the machine (which is publicly accessible), the teller is behind the glass wall, the machine is hooked to her computer and when I am done, she gets a notification on the amount of deposit. She does not touch the coins. But you are right, it will get old very fast as "someone" has to still take those coins to their vault or whatever. I will have to think of other banks/branches.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by aaron1262
there's now a notice for the NA: "Product will be available for shipping 07/14/2009"

i've never seen that one before.
They had a similar message for the John Quincy Adams coins a year ago.

...and if memory serves me correctly, they kept moving back that date every day by a day for over a month. All orders in the queue also got moved back respectively.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:40 pm

Interesting, that it was short by $64, which is massive. How was the original $ amount of deposit?
The total deposit was $2,500. The machine counted 120 half dollars for a $60 error and it missed 4 coins for a $4.00 error, total of $64 short. They took all of the coins out of the machine and recounted the entire machine. When completed they said I was $4 short and my reply was "I think we can say the Mint's coin counter is more accurate than yours". The teller agreed and credited the entire $2,500.

At a different bank a teller told me the rule was to machine count all coins and I said that's strange as I had made 2 deposits the same day, different branches and they took the rolls. He called for assistance and that's how I found out the bank coin machines are known for mis-counting dollar coins. He took the $2,000 deposit in the rolls.

And that is the rest of the story.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:52 pm

UPS Update

My order was shipped yesterday, Next Day Air. I arrived home to a Post-it note telling me they missed me. The last time this happened, I called and changed the ship-to to work and all was fine. Today I called and there is a $4 fee to change the delivery address online and a $6 fee to change the address with an agent. So, I will be picking up the shipment at UPS. Not too far out of the way from work and at least I don't have to carry the coins from my office to the parking garage.

The UPS agent told me this new policy took effect yesterday.

As I have said, "I've always had bad timing. I start dating a woman right before her birthday and break up right before mine." {rimshot}
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:10 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA AA LifetimePLT-2MM; SPG Platinum; HHDiamond
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
$41k in 2 weeks and counting-how much have you done?

I have purchased $41k in the last two weeks. All arriving within 5 working days of the order and all overnight. WF branch in my office bldg is taking all deposits in their trays without any problems. Wonder how long this is going to last. What is the most that anyone has purchased?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tobster
I have purchased $41k in the last two weeks. All arriving within 5 working days of the order and all overnight. WF branch in my office bldg is taking all deposits in their trays without any problems. Wonder how long this is going to last. What is the most that anyone has purchased?
The unofficial policy on this thread is to not post your total's purchased. Some will say we don't want to kill the golden goose. There are FT'ers that have purchased less and some that have purchased a lot more than others. Thanks for your consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.