Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jk77341
Thanks all. The Staples no fee VGC deal is coming up and was thinking if it would be easier to convert 5 of the $200 to a single $1K for both BB or MO at WM.
You could possibly stealthily sneak 1 or 2 cards in but if you want to do 5 then you probably need to give the CSR a heads up as to what you're doing.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Thanks for all the information.
I now know that all Amex cards are kaput at Simon. That is why I asked for DPs.

I have also been told that Amex business cards are good still at Staples and OM. If that is in error, just post it.

And in regards to my post on timing of closure and redemption of rewards was the line where I stated that I was uncertain as to whether Chase gave you 30 days or not.
Others posted that Chase does give 30 days.

My ultimate goal is to try and provide the most accurate and up to date information available. I am not reluctant to qualify my information when uncertain of it.
AMEX SC+ CCs stopped earning 5X for me at OM about a year ago (still earn 5X at Staples). So unless something has changed, OM is a no-go.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:40 am

Thanks all. The Staples no fee VGC deal is coming up and was thinking if it would be easier to convert 5 of the $200 to a single $1K for both BB or MO at WM.
You won't be able to convert 5 $200 cards to a single MO at WM. They are hard coded to accept a max of four swipes (cards) so max MO you could get would be $799.xx with four $200 cards (or $800 if you pay the MO fee with cash).
deker0 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:40 pm

Amazingly this is quite amazingly completely not on topic
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:21 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by Chelski
Amazingly this is quite amazingly completely not on topic
His question was whether he could use 5 $200 prepaid Staples cards to buy one $1K Simon card at Simon--and then use that $1K card for bp or mo at WM. I think that's on topic here.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knopfler
You won't be able to convert 5 $200 cards to a single MO at WM. They are hard coded to accept a max of four swipes (cards) so max MO you could get would be $799.xx with four $200 cards (or $800 if you pay the MO fee with cash).
At least for me,finding a WM that will allow more then 1 card to be swiped w/o asking to see the card/s is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yes some still exist but I wouldnt suggest that a person starting out to rely on finding such a place
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by craz
At least for me,finding a WM that will allow more then 1 card to be swiped w/o asking to see the card/s is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yes some still exist but I wouldnt suggest that a person starting out to rely on finding such a place
In my area, four out of six WMs let me do multiple swipes, no questions asked. And I have had similar luck when traveling in other states. (I don’t go to big cities, typically.)

YMMV.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
In my area, four out of six WMs let me do multiple swipes, no questions asked. And I have had similar luck when traveling in other states. (I don’t go to big cities, typically.)

YMMV.
Id say 1 out of the closest 30 to me will allow split payments, but I didnt say it cant be done. Again it was geared to a newbe who might not know what the score in their area. I was trying to tell them to 1st find out whats what and then jump in. Would hate for a new person to buy say 9K and find out the few places by them card everything. Out of the 30 I mentioned above Id say 1/3 card, even for 1 MO. Major Met area
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Id say 1 out of the closest 30 to me will allow split payments, but I didnt say it cant be done. Again it was geared to a newbe who might not know what the score in their area. I was trying to tell them to 1st find out whats what and then jump in. Would hate for a new person to buy say 9K and find out the few places by them card everything. Out of the 30 I mentioned above Id say 1/3 card, even for 1 MO. Major Met area
I like that you don't consider yourself a noob
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:16 pm

I'm somewhat new to the Simon MS game, but have ramped it up quite a bit lately. I have read through most of this thread and saw a couple others experience what I just ran into, but still confused on what happened and would appreciate any advice if you've encountered the same thing.

So, I was buying 8 $1K VGC at a Simon property, like I have been doing on occasion for the past 6 weeks. However, today I ran the card and the clerk said "you're only authorized for $3,300". I was thrown off by this, but I thought it must have been a limit set by Chase. I excused myself, called Chase and they said there was no security limits on my account and I had $33K in available credit. I was very consued, but now I was just convinced the clerk made a mistake, so I had him run the transaction again...and it was declined.

I have a couple questions, but the ones that puzzle me the most are "how did the clerk see I had a $3,300 limit" and "what triggered that limit (if Chase claims there was no security limit on the card)?" I have read about "training" the card, but not sure I fully understand.

Last edited by dngrmys; Feb 11, 2020 at 6:29 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:53 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by dngrmys
I'm somewhat new to the Simon MS game, but have ramped it up quite a bit lately. I have read through most of this thread and saw a couple others experience what I just ran into, but still confused on what happened and would appreciate any advice if you've encountered the same thing.

So, I was buying 8 $1K VGC at a Simon property, like I have been doing on occasion for the past 6 weeks. However, today I ran the card and the clerk said "you're only authorized for $3,300". I was thrown off by this, but I thought it must have been a limit set by Chase. I excused myself, called Chase and they said there was no security limits on my account and I had $33K in available credit. I was very consued, but now I was just convinced the clerk made a mistake, so I had him run the transaction again...and it was declined.

I have a couple questions, but the ones that puzzle me the most are "how did the clerk see I had a $3,300 limit" and "what triggered that limit (if Chase claims there was no security limit on the card)?" I have read about "training" the card, but not sure I fully understand.
What's your cash advance limit on the Chase card? It's possible that the clerk ran your purchase as a cash advance instead of a normal purchase.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ogg
What's your cash advance limit on the Chase card? It's possible that the clerk ran your purchase as a cash advance instead of a normal purchase.
$6,700, so I'm still unsure where he got the $3,300 number from.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:52 pm

HI, Tried search this thread, but the answer does not quite match my situation. Hope anyone has similar experience and would like to share.
First time happen. I have been using my dc from citi for over year in simon, and I believe the card has been deep seasoned, Today, I get declined for ~6k purchase. Soon, I am able use the the same card for some small purchase, so the card is not locked.
I did not see any 6k pending or whatever shown on my card when I log in to my account.
So, it is better just wait >24 hour and try again.? or should call citi? I don't want to call because it is likely to have some human eye on my account. My simon purchase will be noticed.
any input will be appreciated.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by wmy2008
HI, Tried search this thread, but the answer does not quite match my situation. Hope anyone has similar experience and d like to share.
First time happen. I have been using my dc from citi for over year in simon, and I believe the card has been deep seasoned, Today, I get declined for ~6k purchase. Soon, I am able use the the same card for some small purchase, so the card is not locked.
I did not see any 6k pending or whatever shown on my card when I log in to my account.
So, it is better just wait >24 hour and try again.? or should call citi? I don't want to call because it is likely to have some human eye on my account. My simon purchase will be noticed.
I would wait a day or two and start with 1k. Whatever you do, Don’t call citi. This will just give them attention to dig in
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by wmy2008
HI, Tried search this thread, but the answer does not quite match my situation. Hope anyone has similar experience and would like to share.
Common to get random declines at Simon in my experience - very frustrating as it happened with well-seasoned cards as well as new cards. Just try again tomorrow for the full $6K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.