Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by radonc1
Move your points now! Get everything out of your accounts that you value. When the rats smell the cheese, they don't nibble, they devour it.
Chase has no compunction of closing out accounts and confiscating awards points.

As @joeaseer said, your problem will be that Chase will close out all of your business, not only all cards but all checking and savings accounts as well (other than loans). This is not insignificant since Chase is into so many different travel credit cards that it will impact your activities.

The fact that you have not used your Freedom card for 2 months after the splurge of activity to me is not a good indication that stopping your activity will change the direction of things to come. Furthermore, the use of an unauthorized link to obtain another card with a bonus was probably the proverbial Swiss that got the rodent's attention
if Chase close all my cards, do I have time to transfer points out after the closing or all the points will be confiscated?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:23 am

What phone numbers do you guys use to call ahead? Where do you find that number?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by coolguy100
if Chase close all my cards, do I have time to transfer points out after the closing or all the points will be confiscated?
You have time if you do it now.
I am uncertain as to whether Chase is one of those banks that gives you 30 days to move your accounts prior to closing.

I wouldn't chance it. Move it Monday if you can.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:21 pm
Suspended

I am uncertain as to whether Chase is one of those banks that gives you 30 days to move your accounts prior to closing.

The great FT advice continues ....
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276
This is what happens when you come to FT for advice
You are absolutely correct

I always believe that one should take whatever they wish when they ask for advice or opinions. If you or anyone believes that the proffered advice is useless or harmful, ignore it. I am completely okay with that. No skin off my nose, so to say.

So to go back to @coolguy100 issue, what harm does it cause him if he moves all his points out of Chase on Monday? He may not get exactly what he was trying to earn, but he will get something of value from the transfer. He was not told to close his accounts, just get the things he values out of Chase.

He can always ignore the suggestion and wait and see if the hammer falls. If it does, then your advice may be a particularly painful outcome for him.

But you of course are right. Take whatever advice you wish and ignore the rest
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Personally I wouldn't sweat it that much, if they were as likely to close your accounts as radonc1 is saying they would have just done and and not bothered with the letter. Someone a few months back got a similar letter, I don't remember how it turned out but here's the link below.
HELP! Warning letter received for my FU(Freedom Unlimited)

That being said you might as well avoid MS on the UR earning cards for a bit. I think it's a bit rash to transfer all your UR points immediately though.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by TyPo311
Personally I wouldn't sweat it that much, if they were as likely to close your accounts as radonc1 is saying they would have just done and and not bothered with the letter. Someone a few months back got a similar letter, I don't remember how it turned out but here's the link below.
HELP! Warning letter received for my FU(Freedom Unlimited)

That being said you might as well avoid MS on the UR earning cards for a bit. I think it's a bit rash to transfer all your UR points immediately though.
My bolding
I believe from his orginal post he said that he had done the GC deed from Aug-Oct, none in Nov and Dec so he has already laid off the card and yet, the letter arrived.

My suggestion is to go to this link and read. It goes into detail about Chase and closures and will provide additional information that can be acted upon. I have read it and use the information when dealing with Chase.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:15 pm

Multiple DPs exist that says Amex Business cards are good to go. It seems to now have a DP that is contrary to that but many DPs are later than your test charge.

I cannot explain the discrepancy.
I paid for $25 of my most recent Simon purchase on my AMex business gold card and the points never showed up as pending so for my business card at least, no points at Simon.
Happy and deker0 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:01 am

Chase gives you 30 days.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knopfler
I paid for $25 of my most recent Simon purchase on my AMex business gold card and the points never showed up as pending so for my business card at least, no points at Simon.
It is not your business card, but the fact that AMEX has stopped awarding any pt on any form of purchases made with Simon, to any AMEX card regardless it is business or personal, since many months ago, like in late 2018. Shortly after Simon raised its daily limit thanks to the sizable drop of their gc sales.
Whoever told you about data points on AMEX business cards still earn pts at Simon simply is confused.

No. You have 30 days to handle your UR balance whether you want to redeem as cash or to transfer them to partners (may take some efforts but definitely could be done). There is no reason to take action now because you do not risk losing it even if you are being shut down.

However you certainly need to rethink the usage of your Chase cards if you want to keep the relationship. It is nice that now the bank warns you first, i.e. gives you a chance to rectify the situation.

If you are not certain, better not to give random advice, such as the DPs on Simon still works on AMEX business cards - a complete error because you confused it with other vendors. Yet there is no acknowledgement of such error which pretty sure you are aware of it upon being pointed out. But that is OK.

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Chase gives you 30 days.
Correct. Even read about a guy did not want to cash out but wanted it all transferred to Hyatt. There were system failures but he persisted, talked to Chase multiple times on such - each time he was told it was allowed. At the end a Chase supervisor called him and acknowledged the system limitations and attributed it to "errors". Then she manually handled the transfers. He got all UR pts transferred to his Hyatt account as he wished. IIRC, read about this in late December in one of those Daily Discussion threads on Reddit.
farwest101, cuthroat and TyPo311 like this.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 5, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:51 pm

Thanks for all the information.
I now know that all Amex cards are kaput at Simon. That is why I asked for DPs.

I have also been told that Amex business cards are good still at Staples and OM. If that is in error, just post it.

And in regards to my post on timing of closure and redemption of rewards was the line where I stated that I was uncertain as to whether Chase gave you 30 days or not.
Others posted that Chase does give 30 days.

My ultimate goal is to try and provide the most accurate and up to date information available. I am not reluctant to qualify my information when uncertain of it.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:00 pm
ogg

American Express stopped paying rewards for Simon GC purchases--all of them, retail/volume/retail online--around April 10, 2019. It wasn't 2018--it was 2019. And it did NOT change the limits on purchasing. The notable recent change is that it made $1K cards available at the retail malls, but those cards have been available to volume customers for years. The $25K limit in the malls also has been in effect for years, although you had to be approved for that level of purchasing and fill out a form for purchases over $10K.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Thanks for all the information.
I now know that all Amex cards are kaput at Simon. That is why I asked for DPs.

I have also been told that Amex business cards are good still at Staples and OM. If that is in error, just post it.

And in regards to my post on timing of closure and redemption of rewards was the line where I stated that I was uncertain as to whether Chase gave you 30 days or not.
Others posted that Chase does give 30 days.

My ultimate goal is to try and provide the most accurate and up to date information available. I am not reluctant to qualify my information when uncertain of it.
Dude - your posts are full of so much incorrect information. You don’t know, so don’t guess. Or if you’re just in just for misinformation, keep up the good work!
Happy, farwest101, TyPo311 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
I believe from his orginal post he said that he had done the GC deed from Aug-Oct, none in Nov and Dec so he has already laid off the card and yet, the letter arrived.
Yes, that's the interesting part - he got a warning letter even though he hadn't purchased GC in Nov/Dec. I wonder if that helped in their decision to warn him and not just immediately close the account?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is not your business card, but the fact that AMEX has stopped awarding any pt on any form of purchases made with Simon, to any AMEX card regardless it is business or personal, since many months ago, like in late 2018. Shortly after Simon raised its daily limit thanks to the sizable drop of their gc sales.
Whoever told you about data points on AMEX business cards still earn pts at Simon simply is confused.
I test out a small portion once every one or two months. I've done it since April, not because of the post about business cards possibly working but on the chance that something will change regarding coding. I don't mind leaving $10-$25 worth of points on the table to test it out every so often.
beachmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.