Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FreakingFlyer
When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2019 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
You always have to remember why Serve and BB exist.....
Thanks. Right, Serve is not designed for MSing, and I was responding to a suggestion to use it as a payment method. So looks like heavy hitters who use it either have some unpublished tricks up their sleeve or simply found right amounts of volume to spread out between multiple accounts that they manage to keep. The main question though, looks like from many of us, was how is it possible to be hitting 200k a month (as some report) when every method of payment in high volume is said to lead to a shutdown. Answering as "YMMV, experiment, research, trial & error, etc....." is perfectly fine, just wondering if there's a method that stands out more than others all things being equal. And yes, understood, there are multiple variables at play depending on individual cases, but in general, It sounds like paying with standard bank accounts is the way to go. With the Simon deal I cranked up my deposits into dozens of K per week and bracing myself for shutdowns like Puerto Rico for Dorian. I doubt all will happen at the same time if at all, but at least will give me a better idea of a red line in my settings.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Clueless12

Again, it’s all about knowing your individual banks. Do you have kids? Did you treat them identical or did you have different rules based on knowing their personality quirks? I had one kid that had a curfew. The other one didn’t need it.
I don’t have kids but I get your point. What sucks is most DPs involve multiple “suspicious” activities—billpay from WM + cycling credit + billpay from Serve, or billpay from GoB + numerous identical/near identical high dollar purchases, etc. That makes it more difficult to narrow things down.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by royallyflushed

I don’t have kids but I get your point. What sucks is most DPs involve multiple “suspicious” activities—billpay from WM + cycling credit + billpay from Serve, or billpay from GoB + numerous identical/near identical high dollar purchases, etc. That makes it more difficult to narrow things down.
That’s true about multiple activities. The one(s) MOST likely to get you shut down in MOST places is cycling your CL and overpaying your CC with a large negative balance. If you eliminate those two behaviors, your risk will decrease significantly.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clueless12

That’s true about multiple activities. The one(s) MOST likely to get you shut down in MOST places is cycling your CL and overpaying your CC with a large negative balance. If you eliminate those two behaviors, your risk will decrease significantly.
What is the benefit of paying more and carry negative balance? I'm new to this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:35 pm

There's no real benefit except that sometimes you can overpay your cards with Walmart bill pays when trying to get rid of your gebits.
GobiFox likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by GobiFox
What is the benefit of paying more and carry negative balance? I'm new to this.
the problem with overpayment is that it looks like "bust out" fraud behavior, especially when accompanied by credit cycling and multiple payment sources, etc, therefore raising a red flag for the bank.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 808traveler
the problem with overpayment is ...
The question was about benefits of overpayment, so not exactly the requested subject.
farwest101 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
The question was about benefits of overpayment, so not exactly the requested subject.
They said they were new to this, so just giving them fair warning...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:42 pm

1. brcl@y
2. 2 and 1/2 years, $11,000, Arr.+
3. N/A
4. Avg. $25K/month entire time
5. Yes
6. No BP ever

Shut down a few days ago -- definitely knew this could happen -- lucky I only had $140 in rewards lost and was still able to redeem after closure at 50% of value for statement credit (now posted).

Anyone know if they issue a pro-rated AF refund?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
1. brcl@y
5. Yes
I'm just curious about the following variable, and if it ever plays a role.
Did you leave any balances before the end of billing cycles, or paid them off completely, or had no fixed pattern?
Just to be clear, I'm not asking if you paid your statement balances in full -- but rather if you had statement balances at all.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I'm just curious about the following variable, and if it ever plays a role.
Did you leave any balances before the end of billing cycles, or paid them off completely, or had no fixed pattern?
Just to be clear, I'm not asking if you paid your statement balances in full -- but rather if you had statement balances at all.
I always had a statement balance.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by dealhunter32
1. brcl@y
3. N/A
4. Avg. $25K/month entire time
5. Yes
6. No BP ever

Shut down a few days ago -- definitely knew this could happen -- lucky I only had $140 in rewards lost and was still able to redeem after closure at 50% of value for statement credit (now posted).

Anyone know if they issue a pro-rated AF refund?
I am just wondering.
Did you have an income stream (i.e. had income from all sources, not just employment) that would justify a spending habit of $300K a year on one card. I am certain that the bank would see if you had only their card or several others, and if you had several CCs, be even more concerned about such levels of spending.
To me, if I as a banker had someone with an income of say $200K who was spending >$300K a year on one card, it wouldn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that you are a patron we don't want (just based on credit risk).

I think that (unless you have the income to support it) spending in excess of stated income on an application for long periods of time is almost ensuring that you will get shut down by a bank. First, I suspect there are dollar limits on spending which, when exceeded will initiate a manual review of the account.I strongly suspect (and am backed up by a banker wife who did this for a living) that you passed that limit and for a long period of time.

Second, I suspect (again backed up) that once a certain level of activity is reached, a manual review is initiated. I realize that many will say that they have been doing their level of activity for X years, but what is missing from this discussion is the financial level they operate at. If they are making $500K to $1MM a year in income (all sources), then spending $300K is not going to be an issue to a bank. On the other hand, income of $50K a year will definitely cause attention to be drawn on an account of $300K spend.

IMO, if you are not a millionaire, one needs to be more circumspect about how they abuse individual credit cards. Banks are not stupid. They not only have to satisfy the Feds when it comes to MLing, but their shareholders as well.

I am uncertain which group is more important. While the Feds can fine a bank for misbehavior, the shareholders can thow management out on the street for poor financial performance
farwest101 and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:52 am

"To me, if I as a banker had someone with an income of say $200K who was spending >$300K a year on one card, it wouldn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that you are a patron we don't want (just based on credit risk)."

?? MSers are the BEST clients you could have if you're concerned about 'credit risk'. They pay early and in full 👍 Now, if you're concerned about profitability, that's another matter 😉
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I had my Bluebird account shutdown in 2016 for "suspicious activity". Now I've tried to open a new BB and Serve and it says we are unable to approve you at this time. Is there a workaround? Does the SS# matter or can I use an employer ID as a workaround?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
...I've tried to open a new BB and Serve and it says we are unable to approve you at this time. Is there a workaround?
No, you can not outsmart AmEx. Even if you find a way to trick them into giving you a benefit against their policy, they'll eventually claw it back. It definitely pays to focus on products and benefits that they are willing to give you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.