Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by dealhunter32
1. brcl@y
2. 2 and 1/2 years, $11,000, Arr.+
3. N/A
4. Avg. $25K/month entire time
5. Yes
6. No BP ever

Shut down a few days ago -- definitely knew this could happen -- lucky I only had $140 in rewards lost and was still able to redeem after closure at 50% of value for statement credit (now posted).

Anyone know if they issue a pro-rated AF refund?
I am just wondering.
Did you have an income stream (i.e. had income from all sources, not just employment) that would justify a spending habit of $300K a year on one card. I am certain that the bank would see if you had only their card or several others, and if you had several CCs, be even more concerned about such levels of spending.
To me, if I as a banker had someone with an income of say $200K who was spending >$300K a year on one card, it wouldn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that you are a patron we don't want (just based on credit risk).

I think that (unless you have the income to support it) spending in excess of stated income on an application for long periods of time is almost ensuring that you will get shut down by a bank. First, I suspect there are dollar limits on spending which, when exceeded will initiate a manual review of the account.I strongly suspect (and am backed up by a banker wife who did this for a living) that you passed that limit and for a long period of time.

Second, I suspect (again backed up) that once a certain level of activity is reached, a manual review is initiated. I realize that many will say that they have been doing their level of activity for X years, but what is missing from this discussion is the financial level they operate at. If they are making $500K to $1MM a year in income (all sources), then spending $300K is not going to be an issue to a bank. On the other hand, income of $50K a year will definitely cause attention to be drawn on an account of $300K spend.

IMO, if you are not a millionaire, one needs to be more circumspect about how they abuse individual credit cards. Banks are not stupid. They not only have to satisfy the Feds when it comes to MLing, but their shareholders as well.

I am uncertain which group is more important. While the Feds can fine a bank for misbehavior, the shareholders can thow management out on the street for poor financial performance