Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:44 pm

Has anyone been successful in liquidating WM GD in regular walmart? I couldn't do so, so wondering they can only be done in NM or SC.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:49 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by wyogold
Sounds like this CSR shouldn't be trusted with the responsibility of tying her own shoelaces in the morning. Anyone with a working brain would've called in reinforcements after not getting this to work in 5 minutes or less. Time to HUCA and get someone else to do it. Sounds like she won't be there for very long anyway.
Unfortunately, my favorite cashier wasn't working today, so I went to this person. Before she was OK, but always very slow. But of course, 1 hour process for getting money order is too much. I cannot imagine what would happen on the normal day at WM, where lines to customer service are long and not many cashiers working.

But, seriously, was anybody asked "what do you do for living?" after new system was introduced or maybe it was her words for "occupation"? I find it very strange that Moneygram needs such info.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
But, seriously, was anybody asked "what do you do for living?" after new system was introduced or maybe it was her words for "occupation"? I find it very strange that Moneygram needs such info.
This is essentially the same info that goes into a SAR. I don't really get it because all this info you could just make up, it doesn't add any security at all, just more theater.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:34 pm

As someone else said, it seems like cashiers can choose which MO "system" to use. Had a tx using each at the same store the past couple days.

The update does not affect how you can pay... any problems since the change happened are purely coincidence.

Originally Posted by jk2
You got SAR'd. The form requires all that information. Some stores/cashiers have changed the SAR bar from $3K to $2K. Or they though you were 'unusual' for whatever reason. After that, it sounds like either the system went down or the cashier screwed up.

Last edited by TheJerm; Jan 17, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
...But, seriously, was anybody asked "what do you do for living?" after new system was introduced or maybe it was her words for "occupation"? I find it very strange that Moneygram needs such info.
Anyone can ask, and you can firmly & politely say NO. "Feeling pressured" and complaining 30 years later is silly and unhelpful.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by TheJerm
As someone else said, it seems like cashiers can choose which MO "system" to use. Had a tx using each at the same store the past couple days.

The update does not affect how you can pay... any problems since the change happened are purely coincidence.

You got SAR'd. The form requires all that information. Some stores/cashiers have changed the SAR bar from $3K to $2K. Or they though you were 'unusual' for whatever reason. After that, it sounds like either the system went down or the cashier screwed up.
I am not sure it was a SAR. They know me for years. I think she just pressed something wrong or typed my info wrong. I'll try tomorrow with my favorite cashier and report.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:01 pm

One of my WMs is using the new system, but hasn't asked for my info, just a signature, so I am guessing their limit is set to 3k. The words "gift certificate" are not printed on them, so I wonder if that got fixed. Our MOs have always been 70 cents.

I sure don't like the new video advertising on FT. It slows me down.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Travelz
I sure don't like the new video advertising on FT. It slows me down.
Off topic, but ....... plus is your friend. The amount of ads on this site made it unusable for me without ABP.

Edit: LOL, this website filters spelling out ABP. hahahhaaa. So cheesy.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:55 pm Reason: flyertalk shenanigans
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This being a Staples Visa gift card sale week, I've accumulated a few $200s. No better place to get rid of these than Walmart, right? So I go to a store near Philadelphia yesterday that I've been to before and they say there's a new system and I can only swipe 2 debt cards for each MO -- and I can only get one MO. That's not great, but OK, I'll deal with this dubious rule. I go back today to get rid of 2 more, the cashier processes it, no problem, and the register displays "printing journal" -- which usually appears as the MO machine starts printing the MO.

Today, though, no money order prints. There's general confusion, and they get a manager, who I know and is friendly and has well-above-average intelligence for a Walmart employee. She tells me that as of today, "the machine will only accept one debt card for each money order transaction." That's obviously horrible news (especially since it seemed to process my 2-card transaction), but even worse, nobody really knows what happened to the money on my 2 $200 GCs. Metabank shows the money as spent. They can't get the MO machine to print my MO. The manager goes into a back room "to look at register tapes" and determines that the transaction was cancelled and that it should flow back to my debit card soon. Metabank seems to agree with this theory. An hour later, the money is back on the GCs.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is it possible that the money center cash registers are actually programmed to accept only one debit card per transaction? This was obviously a truly terrible Walmart MO experience. At least I've got my $400 back, though.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:12 pm

I'm not sure if my post got posted or not so here we go again; I've been a long time reader but this will be my first post. I always did VGC's at the USPS until they changed their software and since then I stopped and have been reading about WM. So tonight I tried for the first time and the CSR watched me swipe after telling him I'm using debit and then said "you cannot use that kind of card", i responded saying "I'm using debit" and he again said "no you cannot use a gift card". I said "okay thanks" and left. This being my first time at WM it was a little discouraging, what are some ways to avoid the CSR asking questions like that or watch you swipe? What are some ways to avoid this from happening? Also, what time of day is best? I went around 8 pm.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by bwise308
I'm not sure if my post got posted or not so here we go again; I've been a long time reader but this will be my first post. I always did VGC's at the USPS until they changed their software and since then I stopped and have been reading about WM. So tonight I tried for the first time and the CSR watched me swipe after telling him I'm using debit and then said "you cannot use that kind of card", i responded saying "I'm using debit" and he again said "no you cannot use a gift card". I said "okay thanks" and left. This being my first time at WM it was a little discouraging, what are some ways to avoid the CSR asking questions like that or watch you swipe? What are some ways to avoid this from happening? Also, what time of day is best? I went around 8 pm.
guess and check. All WMs are different with different policies, and some even depend on the CSR working at the time. In my area, there’s like 6 WMs and every one of them have a different policy regarding VGC > MO.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:29 pm

Okay got it...I guess I went in there too confident thinking it was a done deal. I will try a different WM tomorrow then.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Acceptance of GC's definitely varies from store to store. In practice it's likely you could get away with one swipe, because the CSR's don't routinely ask to see the card. But multiple swipes are going to be a red flag. As, possibly, would be MO's for $x99.30.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:31 am
FLN

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I don't know if they have that much cash and whether they would refund $2000, if the terminal were to freeze when paying with 4 VGCs.
My WM had a printing issue (it was start of day and they hadn't "turned on" the MO printing system, as he needed to get a key for the printer) and the guy started counting out $100 bills. I was actually OK with getting $2K cash for $2K VGC plus 1.40, but then the printer started printing and he put the cash away and handed my two 999.30 MOs.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by bwise308
This being my first time at WM it was a little discouraging, what are some ways to avoid the CSR asking questions like that or watch you swipe? What are some ways to avoid this from happening? Also, what time of day is best? I went around 8 pm.
Keep the card tucked in your wallet until you swipe. Memorize the pin. When you do swipe, keep the card 90% concealed in the palm of your hand. If anyone is watching, they should be able to see nothing more than a bit of silver plastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.