Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by maxiet
I'm new to MS, so this is my first attempt. I bought a $100 VCG from GCM (all black, can verify Sharpie works well to conceal "gift card" text), went to WM to buy a MO and worked fine. I can't tell if it was the new system, because I didn't see the CSR key in the last four digits, but I also didn't have to sign a second print out. No "gift certificate" wording on it, either. Will work on gearing up my MS.

Anyway, do you think the all-black design from GCM is worth the excess fee as compared with the Simon Mall GCs? It's much more discreet, but also is Simon more discreet on the credit card end? Just wondering what others think about the two.
It depends on which CC you are using and the WM CSR situation.. Yes the Simon GC have a lower fee in $3.95 but most likely doesn't fit into any bonus categories. Buying MB VGCs from a supermarket will most likely fit into a bonus category which will net your better CC rewards. Also if you buy VGCs from GCM, you can have them put your name on it which makes it look more legit than just "Gift Card customer" or "Valued Customer" that Simon VGCs will only have. If you have WM CSRs that you know don't check your VGCs then Simon VGCs are ok since they have a lower fee and you can buy in larger volume.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
It depends on which CC you are using
Forgot to mention that. The cards I am churning are airline branded CCs, so no bonus spend anywhere.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Also if you buy VGCs from GCM, you can have them put your name on it which makes it look more legit than just "Gift Card customer" or "Valued Customer" that Simon VGCs will only have. If you have WM CSRs that you know don't check your VGCs then Simon VGCs are ok since they have a lower fee and you can buy in larger volume.
I'm new to this, so I haven't had interaction with many CSRs. The CSR at WM today asked if the debit was in my name, but didn't actually ask to inspect it. I guess I will continue with GCM until I get to know some faces. The shipping/tracking charges really eat into returns. Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by maxiet; Jan 12, 2018 at 10:26 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
It's easiest to match color, when the area around "GIFT" is black. Then use a black Sharpie pen to neatly draw a stripe at the upper right corner -- will perfectly blend away the offending word.
I use a custom image of mountains and ocean that's mostly bright, but jet black where the word gift appears. The word "gift" is outlined in white, but it's very hard to see.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by AZDbacks17
Today I got my first "Gift Certificate" MO...and had to sign receipt...the CSR said it's the new system and they can do up to 10 MO at a time...there are only 4 terminals at my Money Center. They used to have to yell" Money Order" wait for it to print then enter the numbers manually...not any more..and it seems much faster now. I asked the CSR "can we still do split transactions? You know like use 2 different debit cards for 1 MO?" The CSR said yes you can ..but make sure to tell them what amount to split before they start.. or the transaction will mess up. looks like a green light for multi swiping...yes!
I wish I could say the same. When my WM's use the new system, it approves all four cards and then stalls. The transaction needs to be aborted and redone the old way. One CSR that I'm friendly with thinks it's the multiple swipes causing the freeze. This has happened to me three times now. Twice the money went right back on the cards, once it didn't.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:02 am

Both my WMs asked for card + ID for the first time ever in the past 2 days. This doesn't bode well for anything

I might just have to suck it up and hold off for a month. I'm addicted though it's easier said than done.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by anonymous99
Both my WMs asked for card + ID for the first time ever in the past 2 days. This doesn't bode well for anything

I might just have to suck it up and hold off for a month. I'm addicted though it's easier said than done.
Are you in TX? They passed a new law that retailers can decline purchases if the card doesn't match gov't ID.
anonymous99 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Are you in TX? They passed a new law that retailers can decline purchases if the card doesn't match gov't ID.
Nah midwest.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

Just bought a mo at my local socal wmnm. Nothing has changed, no "gift certificate" badge.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by lobo411
Just bought a mo at my local socal wmnm. Nothing has changed, no "gift certificate" badge.
Yesterday, I buy my $2000 in MOs at my usual location. The CSR says they have "updated the system" which she explains to me. I get the 2 MOs and they both have "Gift Certificate" on them as explained previously. Today I go in to get my next 2 MOs at the same location but different CSR (who knew of the changes as well) and they don't have the Gift Certificate labeling. So I have no idea what is the SOP for WM these days. I however am not concerned about the ability to deposit these MOs..

Just weird .
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Yesterday, my favorite go-to WM showed the Gift certificate on their MOs . New development is they now allow up to $10K, can be done in one or multiple transactions if doing split tender. I was able to do five transactions, 4 swipes each. Prior to starting the $10K transaction, cashier and I filled up an electronic form where I input my SSN and she entered NAZDOB. After each transaction, aside from the main receipt, two smaller pieces of paper printed where I had to sign one and the other was stapled to main receipt. Went to store#2 today, there's no changes to printing of their MO and they also allow up to $10K in multiple transactions. I may make this my go-to store, hopefully they don't get the software update my other store got. Overall, still a breeze to drain online VGCs.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Prior to starting the $10K transaction, cashier and I filled up an electronic form where I input my SSN and she entered NAZDOB.
Did you give them your real or alternative SSN? What's NAZDOB?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Yesterday, my favorite go-to WM showed the Gift certificate on their MOs . New development is they now allow up to $10K, can be done in one or multiple transactions if doing split tender. I was able to do five transactions, 4 swipes each. Prior to starting the $10K transaction, cashier and I filled up an electronic form where I input my SSN and she entered NAZDOB. After each transaction, aside from the main receipt, two smaller pieces of paper printed where I had to sign one and the other was stapled to main receipt. Went to store#2 today, there's no changes to printing of their MO and they also allow up to $10K in multiple transactions. I may make this my go-to store, hopefully they don't get the software update my other store got. Overall, still a breeze to drain online VGCs.
why the sad face in regards to the words gift certificate on the money orders?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Did you give them your real or alternative SSN? What's NAZDOB?
yes (it's been in their system when I sent money using the app);
name/address/zip/dateofbirth

Originally Posted by ramonortiz55
why the sad face in regards to the words gift certificate on the money orders?
No big deal, it's just a bit inconvinient having to sign for each transaction but now that the other stores did not have that update, I'm crossing my fingers my favorite store will revert back to the old method where MOs print w/o the words GiftCertificate and no need to sign for each transaction.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

How did you discover they allowed 10K?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
How did you discover they allowed 10K?
This is YMMV. My WM only allows one MO transaction per day, so 2K max.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.