Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:13 am

When I notice policies are tightening at one store, I just chill and lay low before they start banning MSers from buying any amount of MO. I sense this when they initiate eMSAR for MOs $500 or less with just one swipe. This strategy works for me since I have several back up stores so I can skip one store and come back there in 3 to 4 months and assess the environment before I do business again. I'd rather not discuss MS with management based on articles I've read where once the Loss Prevention/Asset Protection gets involved (they are mostly anti MS), the ending is not favorable to MSers.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I would call WM corporate office and complain, obviously without mentioning MS activity. The call would generate a ticket and local/regional management would have to respond.
That's got to be one of the dumbest things I think you could do. OP already talked to the manager about this in person... if a formal complaint comes down from corporate it's going to be incredibly obvious to the manager who filed it. Just move on to the next store... this one is shut down for the time being.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
That's got to be one of the dumbest things I think you could do. OP already talked to the manager about this in person... if a formal complaint comes down from corporate it's going to be incredibly obvious to the manager who filed it. Just move on to the next store... this one is shut down for the time being.
I'll be taking it easy for a while for now. Just BP & BB. The manager did look very worn out, wouldn't be surprised if he'll be done (burnt out) with WM in a few months.

I did a survey, 11 WM supercenters within 1 1/2 hours radius. I am planning to do a super run with P2, liquidate ~ 40K in a day.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by bigjoefatz
Where in LI are you? I need to get money orders via visa gift cards tomorrow at walmart and would like to know which ones are friendly in the area. First time I am going to do it.
I would suggest you map out the area, I drove like 30 miles round trip to go to 2 different Walmarts. Long Island has so many different Walmarts, so there's no point in me really posting which exact ones work well. I would just learn how to speak with the CSR and get information about how that specific Walmart works by asking a few questions.

"Hello, I would like to purchase a money order, but I was wondering do you allow a split payment with two different debit cards and to pay the fee in cash?"

Figure out how you'd like to say that but try to get all that information asked right away to keep it moving along.

That's a loaded question that if you get answered yes too, then you know you're good. If you're starting out I would suggest you drive to another Walmart to do each 1k to 1.5k worth. Unless you just feel confident to say I'd like to purchase two 1k money orders which is fine, but I don't know the current policies and if they're requiring you to fill out paper work, so I just keep it simple and drive to the next Walmart.

Or if you're asking questions, say you heard from your friend that was buying money orders to pay rent that, there's some kind of paper work that needs to be filled out when you buy a certain amount of money orders is that true. Ask that question after you get your money orders of course.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:43 pm

I always wondered why some MSers pay fee in cash when you can buy $999.12 MO and not deal with coins ever.
Travelz, infovis, cuthroat and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I always wondered why some MSers pay fee in cash when you can buy $999.12 MO and not deal with coins ever.
Some banks are more sketched by consistent deposits of 999.12 compared to whole numbers. I do have a whole change jar that needs to be liquidated as well.
joeaseer likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Because there is a very specific advantage, which I shan't be mentioning, as I would like to keep utilizing it.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:12 pm

I have deposited this amt. for years at 7 banks weekly. Never a problem. Above poster is thinking way too much.
cuthroat and anonymous99 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Whittaker
Because there is a very specific advantage, which I shan't be mentioning, as I would like to keep utilizing it.
Yes, go on.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hb1500
Yes, go on.
Whittaker SHAN'T be mentioning it, no matter how much you ask (well, ignoring the fact that they just mentioned it - oops!)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Then why mention that there is an advantage rather than saying nothing at all?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
If that particular WM is your only option, not dumb at all. Remember, the machine has been broken for months, so NO ONE -- MSer or not -- can buy MOs. WM corporate needs to know and correct.
Travelz likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
If that particular WM is your only option, not dumb at all. Remember, the machine has been broken for months, so NO ONE -- MSer or not -- can buy MOs. WM corporate needs to know and correct.
Whoops, I mixed up who was talking about who. I thought tuphat was recommending wyogold call corporate. Wyogold had just talked to the local store manager about buying mo with gebit for points/miles. In tuphat's situation where the mo machine has been broken for months yes a call to mg or wmt corporate would be appropriate.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:41 pm

WM internal msars (believe that is the acronym WM uses) do get reported from WMHQ. It’s good I keep records of every transaction from start to finish and never throw them out.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Went to Walmart MC and tried reloading Serve or getting a MO issued using Visa GC issued by Sunrise bank. Declined both times with message "Debit not available".
Pretty supportive MC and they tried helping but no clue why it was declining. Have used this MC multiple times for reloads / MO's so wondering if its because its a Sunrise bank issued VGC or something else. Finally tested buying a Walmart GC and it worked for that. So seems some restrictions on this type of VGC ?
Any insight appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.