Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTT103
Didn't you ask this very same question under the S&S/Giant thread?
not only that but as I posted on the SnS thread apx 9 posts above theirs the answer was posted. So JG isnt reading the threads simply posting their question waiting and expecting to be spoon fed
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:53 am

I was able to do the hitting cancel and change payment to debit trick at WM with the new MB MCGCs from S&S. The only issue I had was sometimes I don't get the timing right when hitting the cancel button and the CSR asked to see my second card after the first card worked. I said maybe I swiped the card the wrong way and finally got the timing right when hitting cancel button and was able to convert credit to debit.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:57 am

Some terminals are slow some fast. When it’s fast I ask them to wait for me to change payment to debt before they enter anything on their end. They always agree.
Most payment terminals are slow enough and give you enough time to hit yellow change button on the LCD screen. Then you don’t have to hurry anymore to press green debt button on next screen, no for cash back on next one and pin on last screen. This all can be done the same time as they enter split payment on their end.
There are few terminals that don’t have yellow change button then you just press red cancel button for the exactly same result.

Last edited by cashcyclone; Sep 3, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:53 am

Wait you're saying you can hit the yellow button marked "clear" to change payment as well?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Just wanted to share a datapoint... in SoCal for the week, went to a WM in the area last night and it was BAU for MO. I unloaded a $500 Meta VGC with no issues at the money center. Pleasantly surprised as I know it has become more and more difficult to buy MO with gebit in the LAX area.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joeaseer
Wait you're saying you can hit the yellow button marked "clear" to change payment as well?
Dont think that works in mine
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by joeaseer

Last edited by cashcyclone; Sep 3, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:28 pm

Unhappy

Went to two different WMs today and was no longer able to do split tender...so it ended up being 1 MO (and 88c fee) per $500 VGC. Yuck. At least they didn't completely ban VGCs, but this is yucky.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by chickenleg
Went to two different WMs today and was no longer able to do split tender...so it ended up being 1 MO (and 88c fee) per $500 VGC. Yuck. At least they didn't completely ban VGCs, but this is yucky.
Store policy or terminal issue ?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:44 pm

Seeking advice to split payment

Hey guys. I visited the same WM I went to yesterday but unfortunately this time the CSR told me that GCs were not allowed (I had no issues yesterday with another person). What I believe gave me away was the request to split payments. The actual terminal is not visible to the CSRs so they do not know the card I will be using. What looks suspicious though is to request the split. Any pointers on how you guys request it without being too obvious?
I can always do separate MOs, thus they would not see the cards, but I want to avoid paying multiple fees.

thanks for the advice
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Carlos_OL
Hey guys. I visited the same WM I went to yesterday but unfortunately this time the CSR told me that GCs were not allowed (I had no issues yesterday with another person). What I believe gave me away was the request to split payments. The actual terminal is not visible to the CSRs so they do not know the card I will be using. What looks suspicious though is to request the split. Any pointers on how you guys request it without being too obvious?
I can always do separate MOs, thus they would not see the cards, but I want to avoid paying multiple fees.

thanks for the advice
Is this a widely known policy by all the CSRs or were you declined by only one CSR? If yes to the first one, then take your lumps and move on. If yes to the second one, leave and try again later, at a different time/shift of CSRs.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:26 pm

I had no issues yesterday. I have only been there twice, so 50/50 success rate. Just wondering if there is a better way to request the split payment that will not raise red flags
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:34 pm
Suspended

I had no issues yesterday. I have only been there twice, so 50/50 success rate. Just wondering if there is a better way to request the split payment that will not raise red flags
Nothing you can do, I've ran into being asked to show my DC at times once you mention split payments or wanting to use more then 1 DC. Its a Red Flag to the csrs that care that the person is using GCs and not a bank DC. If you dont mention anything that the reg will assume you are gonna pay the full amount using only 1 card, and bingo its Declined after you swipe it

Only piece of advice is to remember what that csr looks like so the next time there if you see them behind the counter simply walk out, Ive yet to find any csr that changed their spots and from not allwoing GCs to allowing them
Carlos_OL likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

BAU, one CSR even asked if I'm earning credit card points. I have 3 reliable WM and all accepted GVs with split payment today. Some stores deny immediately when they see even one GV, other stores in same area make up all kinds of polices and I stop by them from time to time just to see if anything changed and get 1 or 2 MO if I'm lucky.
cruisr likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Don't request a split payment and no flags will be raised. All those that are 'testing' the rules are slowly burning out the opportunity. THINK ABOUT IT.
Prometheus77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.