Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

!!!HELP!!!

I purchased a MO at walmart today, and somehow associate enter WRONG mo serial# in the last step, and the MO I got didn't matched the serial# in receipt. I noticed this after I got home, and I tired to call moneygram to verify this MO but got transfered to human but office closed. (If I verify a good MO, moneygram's automatic phone will read out status I believe.)

What should I do now? Have anyone have similar situation before?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by st0ne
What should I do now?
Take the MO and receipt back to WM and have them resolve it.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by corpgator
Why are you sending money orders through the mail and not depositing them into your bank account and using automatic payments? You're just asking for trouble and greater scrutiny sending MO payments.
You are very wrong, and it's actually the COMPLETE opposite. Depositing MO to bank accounts are more risky to banks, and cause more scrutiny/shutdowns. Sending payments or paying at the bank with MO is preferred by banks. Don't just say random things like this.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
You are very wrong, and it's actually the COMPLETE opposite. Depositing MO to bank accounts are more risky to banks, and cause more scrutiny/shutdowns. Sending payments or paying at the bank with MO is preferred by banks. Don't just say random things like this.
I agree. I have been paying credit card balances resulting from MSing for years with money orders mailed to the credit card companies. I track them and only one out of a countless number was ever lost and needed to be replaced. It requires some stamps and envelopes but it works.

The guy with the missing money order made two mistakes.

As was noted, one money order per envelope. The robot is not programmed to consider more than one money order per envelope.

Also, learn to vary the amounts. If you are buying one money order per transaction, bring some change. Make the amount 999.40 by bringing a dime. Next time make it 999.31 by bringing a penny.

If you are doing two money orders with 4 swipes, don't bring change, since WalMart's computer has trouble with five entries, but vary your amounts. One money order for 999.50 and one for 999.10. You will be amazed after awhile at how good you will become at adding amounts that come exactly to $2,000.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Andy2
I agree. I have been paying credit card balances resulting from MSing for years with money orders mailed to the credit card companies. I track them and only one out of a countless number was ever lost and needed to be replaced. It requires some stamps and envelopes but it works.

The guy with the missing money order made two mistakes.

As was noted, one money order per envelope. The robot is not programmed to consider more than one money order per envelope.

Also, learn to vary the amounts. If you are buying one money order per transaction, bring some change. Make the amount 999.40 by bringing a dime. Next time make it 999.31 by bringing a penny.

If you are doing two money orders with 4 swipes, don't bring change, since WalMart's computer has trouble with five entries, but vary your amounts. One money order for 999.50 and one for 999.10. You will be amazed after awhile at how good you will become at adding amounts that come exactly to $2,000.
You mean exactly 1998.60
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:36 pm

!!!HELP!!!

I purchased a MO at walmart today, and somehow associate enter WRONG mo serial# in the last step, and the MO I got didn't matched the serial# in receipt. I noticed this after I got home, and I tired to call moneygram to verify this MO but got transfered to human but office closed. (If I verify a good MO, moneygram's automatic phone will read out status I believe.)

I had this happening to me, but I noticed it before leaving the store. They ended up refunding me in cash, because I don't think the register would let them do a return on the Walmart receipt.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by hiima
You mean exactly 1998.60
Ah, but the 70 cent per money order fee for two money orders brings it to $2,000.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

!!!HELP!!!

Some updates: I just checked this MO via moneygram phone#, and looks like it's valid in their system. i assume i can cash it without any problem. So looks like walmart associate enter serial# in the last step has nothing to do with moneygram at all. Any comments?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:22 am

Some updates: I just checked this MO via moneygram phone#, and looks like it's valid in their system. i assume i can cash it without any problem. So looks like walmart associate enter serial# in the last step has nothing to do with moneygram at all. Any comments?
I'm not familiar with all bank rules but at my local banks, they allow cashing of a check regardless of amount up to $200, the rest can be w/d soon as the check, incl MOs, clear. In case you have a balance that's higher than your MO, I'm sure you can w/d amount of your MO; IOW, you can only w/d up the amount of your existing balance, unless your bank has different rules.

If it was me, I'd just deposit the MO at my CU that clears them on the same day. I let them sit on the account a couple of days before I use them for b/p.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

Does moneygram's phone system tell you the amount of the MO? If not, try to speak with a rep.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
Does moneygram's phone system tell you the amount of the MO? If not, try to speak with a rep.
You have to input the amount of the MO as part of the authentication process for the MO and then (if you entered serial number and amount correctly) it will tell you if the MO is still valid.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:07 pm

are Vanilla Metas also blocked like Incomms? Max of 49.99 only?

I can liquidate at grocery but was just wondering if WM will take them for the full amount.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:20 pm

Anyone knows any grocery stores and walmart accepting split payment for MO in Houston?

I have tried so many in Sugarland and Galleria and none accepts them. You can PM me if you want
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
are Vanilla Metas also blocked like Incomms? Max of 49.99 only?

I can liquidate at grocery but was just wondering if WM will take them for the full amount.
No ice cream at walmart.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

I forgot to write down the pin on one of my VGCs and had to use one of my bank debit.

Can a transaction be cancelled if 2 pins for VGCs have already been entered?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.