FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1885618-buying-money-orders-walmart-2018-a.html)

Gitangali Jan 1, 2018 10:01 am

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Any changes to the Walmart system? New year kicked in.

Stoshbygosh Jan 1, 2018 10:07 am

Just left a store, bought 2k of MO and nothing has changed.

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 29236282)
Any changes to the Walmart system? New year kicked in.

Just left a store, bought 2k of MO and nothing has changed.

anonymous99 Jan 1, 2018 6:32 pm

Visited two stores today. I bought $2k at each and nothing changed.

Lots of reports of the new system requiring a signature and printing out MO with the gift certificate label. Although the nature of the "gift certificate" remains in dispute, this seems to be fine and hopefully not going to cause problems going forward.

Can anyone corroborate the report of having to input personal information for anything over $750 and WM subsequently limiting individuals to one MO per day. This would be a killer. Curse the gods if it comes to this.

hiima Jan 1, 2018 8:11 pm

So, not all wally have the new system yet?

redtop43 Jan 1, 2018 11:08 pm

Nothing has changed at the WM's that I patronize.

ramonortiz55 Jan 2, 2018 7:29 am

I will be heading out there this afternoon and come back with DPs

Gitangali Jan 2, 2018 8:15 am

I bought 2 batches of $2K each yesterday. Have not seen any change, no signature required , doesn't say gift voucher etc. It seems like the new printing paper will have this gift voucher on it. So if you are not seeing that, your WM may still be using old paper??

makelab Jan 2, 2018 9:07 am

No changes at my go to store. printing same as always - money order - WM.

cajunguy Jan 2, 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali (Post 29239647)
I bought 2 batches of $2K each yesterday. Have not seen any change, no signature required , doesn't say gift voucher etc. It seems like the new printing paper will have this gift voucher on it. So if you are not seeing that, your WM may still be using old paper??

I've been to one where I didn't get the "Gift Certificate" printed on the MO and I still had to sign a little slip.

It may be that some still have their older hardware but have switched to the new software.

ChrisFlyer66 Jan 2, 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by makelab (Post 29239884)
No changes at my go to store. printing same as always - money order - WM.

No change in San Diego as of this morning.

doggiefizzle Jan 2, 2018 10:03 am

No change in Northern Los Angeles today at my favorite WMNM. I only buy 1x MO at a time for $499, so this DP might not be complete if some WMs are requiring additional info beyond $750 (?) or more than 1x swipe. Also nothing about gift certificate printed on the MO.

liquid85 Jan 2, 2018 11:09 am

I went to two neighborhood Walmarts today. Business as usual. One 999.30 MO at each location with two 500$ swipes. No new printing or procedure. Yellow vest manager couldn't have been less interested in what I was doing.

vbnet Jan 2, 2018 11:11 am

NW Chicago. First 2-swipe attempt for $725. The printer was acting up on previous customer, I almost bailed. No slips of paper, no gift card notation.

redtop43 Jan 2, 2018 5:38 pm

I came up with what might be a good work-around for various limitations.

I paid small amounts on two credit card bills at WM using VGC's. I paid Capital One and Elan Financial Services (Fidelity Investments Visa). Now I'll wait a few days to make sure it posts properly.

I asked the clerk, whom I know quite well, if there was any reason I couldn't do multiple swipes on a bill pay and she said no.

So this might be a workaround for both not accepting cards for MO's and for "one transaction a day" limits. I don't think you could do MO's and bill pays in the same transaction, and I don't think they would say a customer has to choose each day whether they want to buy MO's or pay bills, but they can't do both.

wyogold Jan 2, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 29242000)
So this might be a workaround for both not accepting cards for MO's and for "one transaction a day" limits. I don't think you could do MO's and bill pays in the same transaction, and I don't think they would say a customer has to choose each day whether they want to buy MO's or pay bills, but they can't do both.

Aren't bill pays the fast way to get shut down?