Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:58 am
jk2

Originally Posted by jk2
I am not sure it was a SAR. They know me for years. I think she just pressed something wrong or typed my info wrong. I'll try tomorrow with my favorite cashier and report.
update: went yesterday and saw my favorite cashier. I bought my MOs (2K) and no information was asked or typed. The only difference was that MOs now have a "gift certificate" on top and CSR didn't type mo's numbers, and I had to sign a receipt.

So, it seems other day CSR did mess up a lot. She is the type - always complaining about the job, new requirements, how difficult is to work, bad customers, pressure, etc.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jk2
update: went yesterday and saw my favorite cashier. I bought my MOs (2K) and no information was asked or typed. The only difference was that MOs now have a "gift certificate" on top and CSR didn't type mo's numbers, and I had to sign a receipt.

So, it seems other day CSR did mess up a lot. She is the type - always complaining about the job, new requirements, how difficult is to work, bad customers, pressure, etc.
Just went this morning and CSR typed in my name and was told the system was coverted this week. 4 GCM giftcards swiped and total due was $0. Then something happened and it said the only option on the screen was the VOID TRANSACTION. ...?!?! a receipt printed with $2k and $500 x 4 was swiped leaving a total remaining $0. I logged in real quick and verified GCM had the money gone. It was..CSR proceeded to take cash out of the drawer and move it to the next register. She rang up $2K MO's but this time as a cash transaction. This time MO printed out.

I dunno if this was a glitch or has anyone had issues with GCM VGC with the new system?

One side note, on the second transaction, the MO still printed GIFT CERTIFICATE even though it was done with $2K cash.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Just went this morning and CSR typed in my name and was told the system was coverted this week. 4 GCM giftcards swiped and total due was $0. Then something happened and it said the only option on the screen was the VOID TRANSACTION. ...?!?! a receipt printed with $2k and $500 x 4 was swiped leaving a total remaining $0. I logged in real quick and verified GCM had the money gone. It was..CSR proceeded to take cash out of the drawer and move it to the next register. She rang up $2K MO's but this time as a cash transaction. This time MO printed out.

I dunno if this was a glitch or has anyone had issues with GCM VGC with the new system?

One side note, on the second transaction, the MO still printed GIFT CERTIFICATE even though it was done with $2K cash.
I have yet to get two $1K MO's printed on the new system. The old system works just fine.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Went back to the one store out of three that had converted to the new system. To my surprise, they went back to the old system and keying in the last 4 digits of the MO. Bought my usual $1,000 MO and left happy everything is back to normal.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:24 am

I think its completed stupid that WM even has this new MO system. It has caused nothing but headaches for both parties.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:36 pm

Bought 2 x 999.3 MOs at my local WM, apparently they have the new system, but according to one CSR because I was the first one to buy a MO today, they had to process my purchase the 'old way', which of course involves typing in a MO serial number into the register. Apparently all following MOs can then be done the 'new way' where the system tracks serial numbers automagically.

edit: apparently this is a daily thing, first MO purchase must be tracked manually

Last edited by wyogold; Jan 20, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, what do you mean by not "printing a gift certificate on their money orders"? What's that?

I don't have problems getting MOs in supermarkets, but they're limited to $500, so it's slightly more expensive and slightly more cumbersome. Also, while I'm comfortable going in to a supermarket for one or two money orders with $500 GCs, I do sometimes cause a bit of a stir if I have the Staples $200s and want them to split payment. The Staples GCs are definitely more hassle for me now if Walmart won't easily take them.
Some WM have switched to a new system where the words "gift certificate" are printed on the money order. I have not encountered this in any of the Philly area WM.
I use supermarkets too but only ever get one MO with two $200 GC. While WM cashiers generally seem to hate their jobs and couldn't care less about my business I find that many supermarket cashiers are middle-aged white women who tend to get more suspicious as they've been with the store for years and don't want any funny business.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL_Intl.
Some WM have switched to a new system where the words "gift certificate" are printed on the money order. I have not encountered this in any of the Philly area WM.
I use supermarkets too but only ever get one MO with two $200 GC. While WM cashiers generally seem to hate their jobs and couldn't care less about my business I find that many supermarket cashiers are middle-aged white women who tend to get more suspicious as they've been with the store for years and don't want any funny business.
Right. Unless I know the cashier, I only ever do one money order with the $200s. And even if I know the cashier, I never tender more than 4 gift cards in a transaction. These Walmart "issues" will certainly make getting rid of $200s more of a hassle and slightly less lucrative. I'm also unsure of what to do with Staples $300s if I order them online. I haven't ordered any of them recently, but I was thinking of doing so to gin up some points for an award ticket. Previously, I would go to the Walmart with 3 of them for a $899.30 MO. My supermarkets limit MOs to $500, so the $300s would be a PITA.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:17 pm

I have a Visa prepaid card from meta for $150 that was issued because of a promotion at work (had to activate it at myprepaidcenter). Anyone been successful cashing out non-purchased GC at Walmart to MO?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: MileagePLUS, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Shadow Rider
I have a Visa prepaid card from meta for $150 that was issued because of a promotion at work (had to activate it at myprepaidcenter). Anyone been successful cashing out non-purchased GC at Walmart to MO?
If I were in your shoes, I would just make a $150 payment toward my electric bill or cable bill with the card. That is what I did with a bunch of promotional $25 cards I got. Much less headache than messing with the rhythm of the 4x$500 = 2 $1000 MOs.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GatorSmiley
If I were in your shoes, I would just make a $150 payment toward my electric bill or cable bill with the card. That is what I did with a bunch of promotional $25 cards I got. Much less headache than messing with the rhythm of the 4x$500 = 2 $1000 MOs.
Yea good call. I use to do USPS MO before that got shut down so now I'm thinking about how I can do the Walmart MO, but I don't have any experience with it. I'll probably just spend the $150 and try it on a $500 GC so that I can get into the rhythm of it like with USPS.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:23 am

While on a weekend trip in BNA (yesterday), I decided to pit stop at the Opry Mills for the SO to shop and then the Wally Supercenter before heading downtown to have some fun, to do a $1,000 MO with split payment and buy some snacks and water. Wow, CS are rude, but still, manage to get the MO after handing her my prepaid United GO Debit Card with my name on, while on the second swipe, as she wanted to see the second Debit Card. The swiping machines are on the other side and CS can not see them, as they are separated from their broken holders. They have the new system and of course, took a lot of time to print the MO, while also making me sign the small slip and handing me my MO plus two tickets. I also do not like the new system, but well, at least back in my neck of the woods, it is business as usual with MO not having the "Gift Certificate" leyend on them.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Does anyone have data points in trying to cash the new "Gift Certificate" money orders? It does seem the cashiers have the option on how to run MOs. Based on my favorite WM visits:

1) "Gift Certificate" MO, signature required
2) Normal MO, no signature required
3) "Gift Certificate" MO, signature required
4) "Gift Certificate" MO, signature required

One cashier told me they were required to run it the new way and she had no idea why "Gift Certificate" was being printed. I guess I just got lucky with the cashier on my second visit.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Originally Posted by Shadow Rider
I received a $150 GC from my company last week - Purchased a MO with it at my local grocery store like normal.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by kajukenbo
Does anyone have data points in trying to cash the new "Gift Certificate" money orders? It does seem the cashiers have the option on how to run MOs. Based on my favorite WM visits: .......
One cashier told me they were required to run it the new way and she had no idea why "Gift Certificate" was being printed. I guess I just got lucky with the cashier on my second visit.
Why would we want to cash them. I have had no problems paying my Credit Cards with them. Also, I have only gotten three of them since they appeared, as my Wallys are back to the old style MO process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.