FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-onward.html)

lumangoy Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude (Post 28026973)
But it doesn't! Unless you somehow tinker with the MO, the app won't read the amount.

only for MG MOs.

it'll take WU MO all day long upto one's daily/monthly limit

Mancolt Mar 15, 2017 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt (Post 27993730)
I haven't tried from experience, but TD Bank appears to allow Mobile MO deposits.

It seems that TD Bank will accept them, but I wasn't able to test it. Their mobile deposit limits are horrendous. $500/day, $1k/month. I didn't have any MO's small enough to try. If I end up with any $500 or less, I'll give it a shot.

I did try my local credit union (Greater Pittsburgh Federal Credit Union). It seemed like it was going to work, but no matter what I tried, I kept getting amount doesn't match errors. This wasn't a particularly dark print MO from WM, but it wasn't the lightest either.

I ended up depositing it with the CU via teller (no ATM deposits allowed) because I've deposited 3 MOs at PNC in the last few weeks and I don't want to get shutdown. PNC is located in my office building, whereas the CU is much less convenient.

Magic Pickles Mar 20, 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt (Post 28039555)
It seems that TD Bank will accept them, but I wasn't able to test it. Their mobile deposit limits are horrendous. $500/day, $1k/month. I didn't have any MO's small enough to try. If I end up with any $500 or less, I'll give it a shot.

My TD limit is $5k per day and $10k per month, and I only have a $100 convenience checking account. It may vary by state or account longevity and behavior.

financialhippie Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am

Just deposited a MoneyGram MO at a Webster Bank ATM. I'll give it a day or two to see if it posts, and then update. I did have to type in the amount. Not sure if the ATM can't read the MOs, or just that it was very faint ink on this particular MO.

TheJerm Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm

More DPs for mobile app deposit:
  • Santander: Not taking MG, USPS
  • Tech CU: Not taking MG, only takes $1000 USPS. Holds for ~7 days, may be because I have a new account.
  • HSBC: Doesn't take USPS. Takes MG (still holding funds, will report back later)

financialhippie Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by financialhippie (Post 28061225)
Just deposited a MoneyGram MO at a Webster Bank ATM. I'll give it a day or two to see if it posts, and then update. I did have to type in the amount. Not sure if the ATM can't read the MOs, or just that it was very faint ink on this particular MO.

Funds already available! I'll keep experimenting with Webster and see how useful it is - which MOs, how much, how often, etc.Details for this deposit:
  • ATM Deposit Webster Bank, Boston area
  • MO of $624
  • New (1 month old) Premier Personal Checking Account
  • Funds available next day
I'll add details to the wiki now.

t325 Mar 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by nicksterbixter (Post 27973080)
I have experience with a CU that accepts ATM MO deposits, but a shared co-op branch ATM I tested did not work. Granted this is a limited DP, so idk if it's a bank-by-bank YMMV, but I'd also love to see some more DP before I drive all over testing out every co-op ATM I can find. Could very well just be the one shared bank I found doesn't accept ATM MO deposits

I'd love to know more about this too. If you bank at CU-A, and make a deposit at CU-B's ATM, AFAIK, CU-B processes everything and CU-A never really knows what you deposited, whether it was cash, check or an MO. So, it stands to reason that you should theoretically be able to have an account at CU-A, make MO deposits at CU-B, CU-C, CU-D, etc and CU-A won't shut you down for too many MO deposits. But on the other hand, they may shut you down for too many co-op deposits. Who knows.

I live in St. Louis, and what we lack in national chains (No WF, Citi and Chase here) we make up for it in credit unions - you can't throw a rock and not bust out the windows of a credit union in this city. Many different CUs to choose from.

Mancolt Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles (Post 28060086)
My TD limit is $5k per day and $10k per month, and I only have a $100 convenience checking account. It may vary by state or account longevity and behavior.

I have the same account, but I did just open mine. I didn't think about the fact that I very well could be in a probationary period. I hope that's the case. If they up it to those numbers, I may have a reason to keep the account past the bonus period.

RickyBobby Mar 24, 2017 10:04 am

Just got a VERY SPECIFIC email from DCU Risk Management today for both me and my wife's accounts...

"DCU is required to know its members and have some understanding of the activity occurring on an account and how that relates to our member. Your personal account activity is limited almost solely to the deposit of money orders. This is not the type of activity expected on a consumer account and appears on its surface to be related to manufactured spending, which often results in significant additional due diligence.

Please close your account by March 31, 2017. If the account remains open after that date, we will close it and mail a check to you for the remaining balance"

Running <$10k/mo thru these accounts for the past year (recently it has been <$5k/mo).

Stivelio Mar 24, 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by RickyBobby (Post 28081004)
Just got a VERY SPECIFIC email from DCU Risk Management today for both me and my wife's accounts...

"DCU is required to know its members and have some understanding of the activity occurring on an account and how that relates to our member. Your personal account activity is limited almost solely to the deposit of money orders. This is not the type of activity expected on a consumer account and appears on its surface to be related to manufactured spending, which often results in significant additional due diligence.

Please close your account by March 31, 2017. If the account remains open after that date, we will close it and mail a check to you for the remaining balance"

Running <$10k/mo thru these accounts for the past year (recently it has been <$5k/mo).

How old is your DCU account?

RickyBobby Mar 24, 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 28081021)
How old is your DCU account?

Just about 1.5 yrs now.

Stivelio Mar 24, 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by RickyBobby (Post 28081048)
Just about 1.5 yrs now.

Ah ok. Sorry about the closure. I think this is the first report of DCU shutdown and so I wonder if they are now catching on to MO deposits.

CWAL Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 28081097)
Ah ok. Sorry about the closure. I think this is the first report of DCU shutdown and so I wonder if they are now catching on to MO deposits.

Someone at DCU must have just come up with a new metric and ran it on all accounts. Your shutdown is definitely not isolated. :)

Stivelio Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 28081118)
Someone at DCU must have just come up with a new metric and ran it on all accounts. Your shutdown is definitely not isolated. :)

so you've heard about more DCU shutdowns?

Superorb Mar 24, 2017 10:49 am

Never seen a bank specifically mention MS before.