FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-onward.html)

mhdena Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm

If one part looks altered its not a far stretch to think the whole thing may have been tampered with.

Most banks/cu's have an online deposit, scan it and do it that way.

Superorb Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld (Post 27739973)
the app read it fine. The federal reserve returned it saying it was "altered".

Federal reserve? I've never heard of that. The MO backer will either pay your bank or they won't. Don't know why the Fed would ever get involved for a check.

vagrants Jan 11, 2017 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 27742951)
Federal reserve? I've never heard of that. The MO backer will either pay your bank or they won't. Don't know why the Fed would ever get involved for a check.

The Federal Reserve Banks provide check collection services to depository institutions. When a depository institution receives deposits of checks drawn on other institutions, it may send the checks for collection to those institutions directly, deliver them to the institutions through a local clearinghouse exchange, or use the check-collection services of a correspondent institution or a Federal Reserve Bank. For checks collected through the Federal Reserve Banks, the accounts of the collecting institutions are credited for the value of the checks deposited for collection and the accounts of the paying banks are debited for the value of checks presented for payment. Most checks are collected and settled within one business day.

The number of checks written nationally has been declining since the mid-1990s as the use of electronic payment instruments has grown. In addition, the Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act (Check 21) removed barriers to the electronic collection of checks and electronic check collection has now become the primary method for collecting checks. Indeed, almost all checks processed by the Reserve Banks today are deposited and presented using the Reserve Banks’ electronic check collection services. These changes have enabled the Reserve Banks to reduce their national check-processing infrastructure so that, since early 2010, they have been processing paper checks at one location nationwide, down from 45 in 2003.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/payme...heck_about.htm

Superorb Jan 11, 2017 8:36 am

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the read.

oopl Jan 11, 2017 11:17 am

Simple sent a message in my account that they will no longer accept mo deposits.
Oh well, on to the next one.

Amex For Children Of Africa Jan 11, 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 27744196)
Simple sent a message in my account that they will no longer accept mo deposits.
Oh well, on to the next one.

Hmm they just accepted mine last night. What was you deposit amount and frequency like?

concordian Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Tech Credit Union

Any data points about Tech CU like if MO are allowed and limits?

cuthroat Jan 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Nothing but problems, problems, problems with Citibank! First I get my account locked for adding my card to Apple Pay. Once I clear that up they lock online/mobile app access account until I stop by a branch (45 min away from me). Today I deposit my first MO using the mobile app and within an hour later I can't sign on to the mobile app and no information is showing up on my online account. I just got off the phone and they say it was flagged for fraud because they couldn't read the MO and I need to wait 5 business days before they send the money back to the MO. It's safe to say I'll be closing my account next week. On to the next one!

Java Cool Dude Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by cuthroat (Post 27746005)
Nothing but problems, problems, problems with Citibank! First I get my account locked for adding my card to Apple Pay. Once I clear that up they lock online/mobile app access account until I stop by a branch (45 min away from me). Today I deposit my first MO using the mobile app and within an hour later I can't sign on to the mobile app and no information is showing up on my online account. I just got off the phone and they say it was flagged for fraud because they couldn't read the MO and I need to wait 5 business days before they send the money back to the MO. It's safe to say I'll be closing my account next week. On to the next one!

You simply can't deposit MOs into your Citi bank via mobile or even ATM; going through a teller is the only way.

cuthroat Jan 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Wiki needs to be updated then.

oopl Jan 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa (Post 27744279)
Hmm they just accepted mine last night. What was you deposit amount and frequency like?

Slowly ramped up to maybe 5 MO a week.

oopl Jan 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude (Post 27746256)
You simply can't deposit MOs into your Citi bank via mobile or even ATM; going through a teller is the only way.

Citi works with WU MOs for me, did not have success with MG MOs.

Amex For Children Of Africa Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 27746779)
Slowly ramped up to maybe 5 MO a week.

Oh well that makes a lot of sense. I thought the most you could do with them(recommended) is 1 a week. You def pushed the limits with them. It's too easy of a route so I'm going to keep it small there.

hp9688 Jan 12, 2017 9:40 am

Quick question about Max amount

What's the Max amount that I can deposit MO into bank??
is it every bank has different requirement?

Java Cool Dude Jan 12, 2017 10:14 am

Updated the Wiki to reflect the situation with Citibank and mobile deposits of MG MOs.