FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-onward.html)

raceman94 Mar 2, 2017 9:30 pm

Yeah, I'm a weakling in the field. I do just enough to max out my credit card categories and then I move on!

mactrader Mar 4, 2017 3:18 pm

Just opened a Northpointe bank account and attempted to deposit a Walmart MG money order. Kept saying it couldn't read it properly. I tried a second from a different Walmart and it stated that it appeared that I used the front image for both the front and back. Does anyone have any recent DPs of this bank working or did I waste my time in setting it up?

Thanks in advance

Mancolt Mar 5, 2017 9:05 am

I haven't tried from experience, but TD Bank appears to allow Mobile MO deposits. I'm surprised to see it listed as via ATM only.

https://www.tdbank.com/tdhelps/defau...ng/v/40605379/

That's the most recent link I could find with them confirming mobile MO deposits, but googling turns up several questions on their forum where their customer service reps confirmed it was possible.

jeffeverde Mar 7, 2017 1:30 am

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld (Post 27739973)
the app read it fine. The federal reserve returned it saying it was "altered".

In a recent in-branch deposit, one of the MO's had especially faint printing. The teller attached a small, official form in post-it-note format, to the bottom of the check, where she wrote in the payment amount plus some other details.

Attaching anything yourself, to the face of the check - especially if it's an mobile deposit, I would expect to raise an issue somewhere down the channel

ramamosn Mar 7, 2017 12:00 pm

Patelco

Anyone have experience in depositing MO's at Patelco Credit Union. They have the mobile app and wanted to know if they are friendly for MO Deposit.

NoonRadar Mar 9, 2017 11:43 pm

I've only had luck depositing MO from WM (MoneyGram) to WF a couple of times, the rest were a bunch of amount don't match, despite trying different backgrounds and angles. Any of you that don't get many such errors do you mind sharing any tips abt taking the MO pics? Thanks.

mactrader Mar 10, 2017 3:50 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 28017108)
I've only had luck depositing MO from WM (MoneyGram) to WF a couple of times, the rest were a bunch of amount don't match, despite trying different backgrounds and angles. Any of you that don't get many such errors do you mind sharing any tips abt taking the MO pics? Thanks.

Is this through ATM or Mobile App? I'm curious if the ATM works well enough. Especially with the $250 cash back promotion they're offering right now.

lumangoy Mar 10, 2017 5:47 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 28017108)

I'm surprised the app will accept MGMO.

I havent deposited MGMOs at WF in a while but I used to print out the amount on a piece of paper and cut it the same size where the amount it. No issues with it.

mactrader Mar 10, 2017 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy (Post 28017766)
I'm surprised the app will accept MGMO.

I havent deposited MGMOs at WF in a while but I used to print out the amount on a piece of paper and cut it the same size where the amount it. No issues with it.

As in you would tape the piece of paper over the amount? I suppose I'm not fully picturing this. My initial instinct would be not to do anything that could in anyway be perceived as doctoring up the money order. Care to elaborate?

lumangoy Mar 10, 2017 7:54 am

Originally Posted by mactrader (Post 28017903)
As in you would tape the piece of paper over the amount? I suppose I'm not fully picturing this. My initial instinct would be not to do anything that could in anyway be perceived as doctoring up the money order. Care to elaborate?

No tape needed. I just put it on top, take picture.

WF converts check to bitonal, so on web, it doesnt look altered.

If there are issues, i have original, unaltered MO

mactrader Mar 10, 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy (Post 28018194)
No tape needed. I just put it on top, take picture.

WF converts check to bitonal, so on web, it doesnt look altered.

If there are issues, i have original, unaltered MO

Oh, my mistake. I was thinking depositing in the ATM. That makes more sense.

Do you try to match the font?

jeffeverde Mar 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Add to the list -
Union Bank (WA, OR, CA, TX, NY)
-No MO deposits via ATM
-No MO deposits via Smartphone

NoonRadar Mar 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mactrader (Post 28017554)
Is this through ATM or Mobile App? I'm curious if the ATM works well enough. Especially with the $250 cash back promotion they're offering right now.

mobile app

Superorb Mar 12, 2017 10:12 am

I'm surprised the WF mobile app works for MOs, I've only ever used ATMs.

Java Cool Dude Mar 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 28026248)
I'm surprised the WF mobile app works for MOs, I've only ever used ATMs.

But it doesn't! Unless you somehow tinker with the MO, the app won't read the amount.