FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-onward.html)

ctdohert2 Jan 7, 2017 8:43 am

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Does a WF checking account restrict the amount of MO deposits monthly for new accounts via ATM or are the limits just for mobile deposits as stated in the Wiki

yugi Jan 8, 2017 10:18 pm

I have around $10k in MO (PO and MG). Can I just pay CC bill at a branch with them? Citi, Chase. Or send them by mail to Amex, Barclays? Is it legit?
Is depositing to Penfed savings safe to do? I have mortgage and CC with them.

fletchbo Jan 9, 2017 5:02 am

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 27728807)
I have around $10k in MO (PO and MG). Can I just pay CC bill at a branch with them? Citi, Chase. Or send them by mail to Amex, Barclays? Is it legit?

I can not comment on the first banks, but PenFed will be fine with the MO deposits, up to 5K daily, I think. WU MO will work via their mobile app and the funds will be available right away. MG may have to be mailed / dep in person.

Superorb Jan 9, 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 27728807)

That's a good way to get all your Chase accounts closed.

wiivile Jan 9, 2017 9:33 am

Should add Serve, no?

https://secure.serve.com/Funds/AddFu...y101-addchecks

Money in Days Funds Available: In 10 days* Minimum Check Amount: $10.00 Fee: No Fee
No fee for all accepted check types, including payroll checks, government checks, personal checks, business checks, insurance checks, attorney's checks, cashier's checks, money orders, rebate checks, American Express Travelers Cheques, and refund anticipation checks.
*If your check is returned unpaid within the 10 day period, your account will not be funded.
They have an instant deposit option, but there's a 1%-5% fee.

carlitos Jan 9, 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 27731072)
That's a good way to get all your Chase accounts closed.

Have been doing it for the last 4 years and up until now, Neither Amex, Barclaycard, Citi or Chase has ever closed one of my credit cards. I actually end up closing them first :D as I keep churning and churning CC.

On contraire, I would never and have never deposited a MO into one of my accounts. Of course, I have never had a checking or savings account closed either.

Superorb Jan 9, 2017 11:33 am

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 27731546)
Have been doing it for the last 4 years and up until now, Neither Amex, Barclaycard, Citi or Chase has ever closed one of my credit cards. I actually end up closing them first :D as I keep churning and churning CC.

On contraire, I would never and have never deposited a MO into one of my accounts. Of course, I have never had a checking or savings account closed either.

I have seen many reports of people having their Chase accounts closed when using MO to pay their CC bills. Not a risk I'm willing to take.

carlitos Jan 9, 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 27731784)
I have seen many reports of people having their Chase accounts closed when using MO to pay their CC bills. Not a risk I'm willing to take.

Well, to each their own. So then, OP can pay all their CCs with MOs, and just make sure he does not bank with Citi, Chase or Barclays Savings Accts. That way, he has no problem using MO and paying his/her cards with MO Checks ;)

But well, MS and Churning is already a risk all of us are taking, as technically the banks will never like people doing it, even though it is legal and might even be consider a loophole in the American ACH and credit, debit and prepaid card payment system of the US, not available anywhere else in the World. Ohh, and Chase in places like Florida will never allow you to pay a credit card with cash without producing a valid Driver's License as form of ID, while paying your CCs at the same bank with a MO does not require to show any type of ID.

Again, everyone plays this game/hobby the way they think is more convenient to them, but I can confirm paying Chase CCs with MOs at branch is NOT a sure way of Chase closing those same CCs. As all, just YMMV

Superorb Jan 9, 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 27732731)
Well, to each their own. So then, OP can pay all their CCs with MOs, and just make sure he does not bank with Citi, Chase or Barclays Savings Accts. That way, he has no problem using MO and paying his/her cards with MO Checks ;)

But well, MS and Churning is already a risk all of us are taking, as technically the banks will never like people doing it, even though it is legal and might even be consider a loophole in the American ACH and credit, debit and prepaid card payment system of the US, not available anywhere else in the World. Ohh, and Chase in places like Florida will never allow you to pay a credit card with cash without producing a valid Driver's License as form of ID, while paying your CCs at the same bank with a MO does not require to show any type of ID.

Again, everyone plays this game/hobby the way they think is more convenient to them, but I can confirm paying Chase CCs with MOs at branch is NOT a sure way of Chase closing those same CCs. As all, just YMMV

I think what does it for Chase is depositing the MOs into a Chase checking account and then paying off the CCs that way. Definitely a difference.

CJS415 Jan 9, 2017 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ctdohert2 (Post 27720617)
Does a WF checking account restrict the amount of MO deposits monthly for new accounts via ATM or are the limits just for mobile deposits as stated in the Wiki

I'm not sure what the amount is for personal accounts, but I have a business account that lets me do $5k a day or $10k a month through mobile banking. It's much more than that if I just go deposit it in the atm half a mile down the road.

sbft77 Jan 9, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by CJS415 (Post 27734004)
I'm not sure what the amount is for personal accounts, but I have a business account that lets me do $5k a day or $10k a month through mobile banking. It's much more than that if I just go deposit it in the atm half a mile down the road.

For personal accounts, the limits at WF for mobile deposits are lower (as described in the wiki). But he's asking about ATM limits for new accounts; that one I'm not sure about.

perkunas Jan 10, 2017 5:25 am

I have several WU MOs with very faded ink that I would like to mobile deposit, but I'm leery of tracing over everything with a pencil.

Does the trick of putting a small piece of paper with the dollar-amount printed from a computer (just the number [$50], not the text [fifty dollars and zero cents]) work for mobile deposit in this case? I know some use it as a workaround for the MG MOs but I haven't heard of anyone doing this for the faded WUs.

flyertalker9867674 Jan 10, 2017 4:02 pm

just a friendly reminder to keep a hold of those money orders after you've deposited them. alliant is refusing to pay for a deposit because western union is refusing to pay them. their reason? the money order was supposedly "altered". i can't wait to deal with this .........

Superorb Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld (Post 27739681)
just a friendly reminder to keep a hold of those money orders after you've deposited them. alliant is refusing to pay for a deposit because western union is refusing to pay them. their reason? the money order was supposedly "altered". i can't wait to deal with this .........

I keep MOs/receipts/etc for a few months to make sure things are good to go. Did you tape an amount so the app could read it?

flyertalker9867674 Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 27739962)
I keep MOs/receipts/etc for a few months to make sure things are good to go. Did you tape an amount so the app could read it?

the app read it fine. The federal reserve returned it saying it was "altered".