Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Would it be possible to use Plastiq to fund downpayment on a house?

If so how would this be achieved? I don't have a six figure limit and I doubt Amex plat would authorize it so even if I could pre-approve it w Amex, maybe prepay the amount?

Would the check be written to the order of an attorney or some escrow ?

Just curious if anyone has done this or pondered it.

Thanks
Assuming the rest is being done on a mortgage, I presume the lending institution would have an issue with the funds coming a) from an account not included in your application as assets and b) technically being borrowed on credit. Not to mention states that require certain amounts to be in the form of certified funds.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Assuming the rest is being done on a mortgage, I presume the lending institution would have an issue with the funds coming a) from an account not included in your application as assets and b) technically being borrowed on credit. Not to mention states that require certain amounts to be in the form of certified funds.
Thank you. I forgot about the certified funds.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There is no 2.3x on the Amex Blue Biz Plus! It's only 2.0x. See post 3 of this thread:
The 2.3x is only on the first year of the (now discontinued for new applications) Amex Blue for Biz:
I realize that Blue for Biz and Blue Biz Plus sound similar, but they are different cards, with different earning structures (even if at first glance there seem to be some similarities).

If you have the Blue for Biz and are still in your first year of having that card, enjoy the 2.3x while that first year is still in progress, because as soon your first year of having that card ends, it drops to 1.3x (ie, the 30% annual bonus remains but the 2x goes away after the first year). So you might as well replace it with Blue Biz Plus once your 30% bonus posts after the first year, since 2.0x sounds better than 1.3x to me, even if neither is as good as 2.3x.
Yes, I know. I'm pretty sure a ton of people have the non plus version here. Since you are a stickler for details, I'm surprised you didn't see what I wrote in my initial post.. "Is anyone MSing the Amex Blue Biz 2.3x?" No Plus in there.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Yes, I know. I'm pretty sure a ton of people have the non plus version here. Since you are a stickler for details, I'm surprised you didn't see what I wrote in my initial post.. "Is anyone MSing the Amex Blue Biz 2.3x?" No Plus in there.
Yes, I know that, but on your second post you were replying to someone who said they were going to use the new AMex Blue Biz Plus, and yet you mentioned 2.3x to them.

Btw, your initial post didn't make clear how / if it applied to Plastiq (you simply asked if anyone was MSing a particular card, not if anyone was using it for Plastiq), so it got removed because it seemed to be in the wrong thread. However, it got replied to before getting removed so it's preserved that way (in the reply quote).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:35 pm

Yes, I know that, but on your second post you were replying to someone who said they were going to use the new AMex Blue Biz Plus, and yet you mentioned 2.3x to them.

Btw, your initial post didn't make clear how / if it applied to Plastiq (you simply asked if anyone was MSing a particular card, not if anyone was using it for Plastiq), so it got removed because it seemed to be in the wrong thread. However, it got replied to before getting removed so it's preserved that way (in the reply quote).
Thanks, didn't even realized it got removed.

Mods, that's pretty anal if a post in here can't be assumed as Plastiq MS. 2.5% earning at 2.3x = 1.09 cpp.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:30 pm

Any alternatives to paying a mortgage with a credit card? Trying to meet minimum spend on my Ink Cash card.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by PhantomRider
Any alternatives to paying a mortgage with a credit card? Trying to meet minimum spend on my Ink Cash card.
Lower your withholding and pay some estimated taxes for 1.87%?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Thanks, didn't even realized it got removed.

Mods, that's pretty anal if a post in here can't be assumed as Plastiq MS. 2.5% earning at 2.3x = 1.09 cpp.
People post in wrong threads all the time, and your initial post didn't have a single thing that indicated it was about Plastiq. Apparently you though everyone in this thread knew your math (you mentioned 1.09 cpp but didn't tie it into 2.5% in your initial post) knew what you meant. Not the case at all. It just seemed like random numbers to many people.

Keep in mind that unlike most threads in this MS forum, this Plastiq thread is far from being all about MS. It's just here because enough of the discussion it is is about MS, but it's far from a dedicated-to-MS thread. So that's why a post solely about MS rates for this or that didn't seem like it had anything to do with Plastiq to many people.

You seem to think that everyone has done this math and thus recognizes it. Far from it.

I've only used Plastiq when doing signup bonuses, where I'm getting the equivalent of 4x, 10x, 20x, 30x,.whatever 60000 miles for $3000 spend or 35000 SPG points for $8000 spend or 30000 miles for $1000 spend, etc, happens to be. In those cases, the 2.5% Plastiq fee is clearly worth it, no detailed math required. I spend most of my year doing minimum spend on signup bonuses, and I don't have time to waste the rest of it worrying about doing a little of bit of traditional MS on the remaining few purchases. So why should I (or anyone else in a similar situation) have done your math just to see if it had anything to with Plastiq or not?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:19 pm

People post in wrong threads all the time, and your initial post didn't have a single thing that indicated it was about Plastiq. Apparently you though everyone in this thread knew your math (you mentioned 1.09 cpp but didn't tie it into 2.5% in your initial post) knew what you meant. Not the case at all. It just seemed like random numbers to many people.

Keep in mind that unlike most threads in this MS forum, this Plastiq thread is far from being all about MS. It's just here because enough of the discussion it is is about MS, but it's far from a dedicated-to-MS thread. So that's why a post solely about MS rates for this or that didn't seem like it had anything to do with Plastiq to many people.

You seem to think that everyone has done this math and thus recognizes it. Far from it.

I've only used Plastiq when doing signup bonuses, where I'm getting the equivalent of 4x, 10x, 20x, 30x,.whatever 60000 miles for $3000 spend or 35000 SPG points for $8000 spend or 30000 miles for $1000 spend, etc, happens to be. In those cases, the 2.5% Plastiq fee is clearly worth it, no detailed math required. I spend most of my year doing minimum spend on signup bonuses, and I don't have time to waste the rest of it worrying about doing a little of bit of traditional MS on the remaining few purchases. So why should I (or anyone else in a similar situation) have done your math just to see if it had anything to with Plastiq or not?
Thanks, I'll keep in mind to dumb down posts.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Amex Biz Plat

Anyone know if mortgage payments made to Plastiq count as a purchase for Amex Business Platinum?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
Anyone know if mortgage payments made to Plastiq count as a purchase for Amex Business Platinum?
Yes..
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
For those that have used Plastiq, what is a reasonable amount of time in which to expect that a bill will be paid? How long - in general - is the time from when the payment is submitted to Plastiq until an account at your financial institution is credited with said payment, if payment is sent "electronically"?

Reading through the thread, it appears that the data is all over the place. Some payments in days, some in weeks. Has this smoothed out a bit over time or is it still hit or miss on lead times?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
For those that have used Plastiq, what is a reasonable amount of time in which to expect that a bill will be paid? How long - in general - is the time from when the payment is submitted to Plastiq until an account at your financial institution is credited with said payment, if payment is sent "electronically"?

Reading through the thread, it appears that the data is all over the place. Some payments in days, some in weeks. Has this smoothed out a bit over time or is it still hit or miss on lead times?
My mortgage payment took about 10 days.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Electronically is a few days, but as always ymmv. Only way to know for sure is to do a payment yourself. With a new payee, I usually do a $1 test payment just to make sure they get it, not necessarily for testing the speed.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy platinum
This past month has been a nightmare with them. Been trying to make rent payments to a new complex for my son's college. first time they never got check. Had to stop payment and reissue. now 2 weeks later and 5 days past guaranteed date 2nd payment is missing! funny thing is, I used them last year a few times for the rental community next door and never had a problem. Difficult to believe that this rental complex is losing these checks(same company). Also, only chat at Plastiq, never can get a person....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.