Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
For some reason I thought having them sent to your house was frowned upon.
They did ask me for an invoice, but they were satisfied when I produced one. They're not big payments...maybe that matters. At this point I'm just doing it because it's easier than writing checks. I barely break even since I pay it with AmEx BBP and value MR points at maybe 1.5 cpp.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
[LIST=1][*]They print "Not valid after 30 days" on the checks. This is complete B.S., and any payee should ignore it, because no bank is going to pay attention to that printing as long as the check is less than 6 months old. It really smells like Plastiq is hoping that some payees procrastinate on cashing the check, take the printing at face value, and think their window to cash it has expired. It just looks shady.
i had a check expire. I asked plastiq about it, they told me to tell the payee to ignore it and have them deposit the check like it is.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by BuBu4
i had a check expire. I asked plastiq about it, they told me to tell the payee to ignore it and have them deposit the check like it is.
Yeah I had one too (an HOA payment that our treasurer sat on for too long). A quick web search revealed that the language was unenforceable, and I told him to go ahead and deposit it (which he did without problem).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
How does that seem steep? If you have a Freedom card you are making 0.5% in cash. If you send it over to your CSR card you would be getting even more value. If you decide to the CSR route you are basically purchasing points at a discount.

For every $1,000 you send you charge $1,025. Which then gives you 3,075 UR.

So you are basically buying 3,075 UR for $25 which you can transfer to several airlines and hotels.

3,075 UR = $30.75 - 25 = $5.75

3,075 UR = $46.13 - 25 = $21.13 in credit through the Chase travel portal using a CSR

You might ask, why would $5.75 be worth my time? Well, the more you spend on the card, perhaps the more likely you can get a fee waiver at the end of the year. Or, you are trying to meet minimum spend. Or, you called to get a fee waiver and they declined and offered you something like 5,000-10,000 bonus UR if you spend $5k in the next 3 months.
this reply provides great information. Thank you
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Interesting data point:

On my BarclayCard Arrival World MC, my payments to Firstmark Services (private student loan that was originally with Citi) are being coded as:

GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED
Go figure.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fivegirls
Datapoint: I paid my Wells Fargo mortgage this morning with the same American Express card I've been using the last few months. It went through with no problems. Plastiq category: Rent/Real Estate.
Likewise. I'm not with Wells Fargo, but my mortgage went through yesterday using an Amex, no problem. Also coded as Rent/Real Estate.

When word was going round the blogs that Visa was no longer being accepted for mortgage payments, it was much the same--I was able to continue paying with Visa.

So the restriction must be only for some lenders.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:03 pm

My mortgage went through today with American Express. Definitely might be dependent on the company they are doing business with. It is a scheduled payment and I have a schedule through next year, but I would find it strange to say things are blocked and then allow a scheduled payment to go through.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
My mortgage went through today with American Express. Definitely might be dependent on the company they are doing business with. It is a scheduled payment and I have a schedule through next year, but I would find it strange to say things are blocked and then allow a scheduled payment to go through.
Mine are and have always been One Off payments vs. scheduled payments.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:51 pm

I used my Amex PRG card to make a mortgage payment through Plastiq last month before they pulled the plug.

Someone posted this email from Plastiq on the DOC page about Amex:

" It was recently brought to our attention by AMEX representatives that this process is not allowed according to their own Terms and Conditions."

Will this payment still count for my MSR?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:35 am

Jumping late on the MS game. Recently got approved for Amex PRG and SPG. Are the two cards still ok to pay rent using Plastiq?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by keyjey
Jumping late on the MS game. Recently got approved for Amex PRG and SPG. Are the two cards still ok to pay rent using Plastiq?
I have not had a problem using those cards on Plastiq. There are some reports about Amex not being taken by certain institutions. See post 621 and 622. As always, YMMV.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:56 am

Hi All. Does anyone know if Plastiq takes AGC (Amex gift cards)? I see in the wiki a list of credit cards but no mention of gift cards. Also, does it code as a debit card?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:59 pm

Payment posted 3x CIP mortgage payment to pennymac
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by steveo345
Hi All. Does anyone know if Plastiq takes AGC (Amex gift cards)? I see in the wiki a list of credit cards but no mention of gift cards. Also, does it code as a debit card?

Thanks in advance!
they do take AGC but do not code as debit cards. the full 2.5% will apply.
The AGC do take some time to activate though, i couldnt add them on for a few hours after getting them. but within 24 hours they worked.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
they do take AGC but do not code as debit cards. the full 2.5% will apply.
The AGC do take some time to activate though, i couldnt add them on for a few hours after getting them. but within 24 hours they worked.
thanks for this info! I wonder why it charges 2.5 when its considered a debit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.