Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:24 am

Another mortgage payment made with the Fairmont Visa

Again, glad I ignored the bloggers on this. Just made another successful mortgage payment using Plastiq and the Chase Fairmont Visa. As for not being able to use Visa for mortgage payments, perhaps this only applies to Big Name lenders. Mine's a smaller community bank, so perhaps that's helping me fly under the radar. My advice would be to "just try" if you need to use Plastiq with a Visa to meet a minimum required spend. Is MRS a commonly known acronym around FT?

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
So far, I'm glad I've ignored the bloggers on this item. Today, 6/22/17, I set a payment to go to my mortgage lender using the Chase Fairmont visa. It processed. There was no block telling me I had to use another card and I see it as a pending transaction on my Chase account. I set up two additional future payments for early July and early August, as I have a mid-August deadline to meet a spend requirement.

@sdsearch, I'm with you. I use plastiq only to meet Minimum Required Spend if I think I may not meet MRS with organic spend.

Am I likely to be good going forward with the two future scheduled payments? Or at least for the mortgage payment for which a check was cut today?

Guess what I'm asking is this: if I get past the outright "no Visa for mortgages" block (as another posted experienced when trying to make a payment), should I expect this to code as a cash advance? I believe my lender showed up as Rent / Real Estate today when it processed--I mean on one of the Plastiq screens.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:38 am

Again, glad I ignored the bloggers on this. Just made another successful mortgage payment using Plastiq and the Chase Fairmont Visa. As for not being able to use Visa for mortgage payments, perhaps this only applies to Big Name lenders. Mine's a smaller community bank, so perhaps that's helping me fly under the radar. My advice would be to "just try" if you need to use Plastiq with a Visa to meet a minimum required spend. Is MRS a commonly known acronym around FT?
Plastiq has said outright that if you have a scheduled payment already using a Visa, it will continue to process.

In general people are more concerned with not getting 3x than with not being able to use Visa to meet a threshold. If you really need to meet a threshold quickly you could make an estimated tax payment, which is cheaper than Plastiq.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:49 am

Has anyone confirmed if water or electrical utilities code for 3x on AT&T ?

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Has anyone confirmed if water or electrical utilities code for 3x on AT&T ?

Thanks
The UTILITIES category codes as 1X and seems to be a general catch-all (e.g. I've had property taxes code as utilities). Would be strange if an actual utility coded as something different.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Plastiq has said outright that if you have a scheduled payment already using a Visa, it will continue to process.

In general people are more concerned with not getting 3x than with not being able to use Visa to meet a threshold. If you really need to meet a threshold quickly you could make an estimated tax payment, which is cheaper than Plastiq.
My Visa payment was newly made yesterday, from the Start a Payment page--or whatever the verbiage is.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by milypan
The UTILITIES category codes as 1X and seems to be a general catch-all (e.g. I've had property taxes code as utilities). Would be strange if an actual utility coded as something different.
Thanks. I put through the utilities on the Amex blue biz plus for 2x
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:13 pm

Hi,

Is Plastiq transaction coded as "purchases" instead of "cash advance?" When I tried to pay a water utility bill via Plastiq with my Chase Fairmont Visa card, Plastiq is showing this message:

"Because Plastiq does not have a relationship with this recipient (my water utility company Minol USA), this Visa credit transaction will be treated by your issuer as a cash advance. To avoid cash advance treatment, you can use a MasterCard, Amex, or Visa debit card for this payment."

Did you get this message? Am I ok using my Chase Fairmont visa for this transaction with getting cash advance?

Thanks!

Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

Is Plastiq transaction coded as "purchases" instead of "cash advance?" When I tried to pay a water utility bill via Plastiq with my Chase Fairmont Visa card, Plastiq is showing this message:

"Because Plastiq does not have a relationship with this recipient (my water utility company Minol USA), this Visa credit transaction will be treated by your issuer as a cash advance. To avoid cash advance treatment, you can use a MasterCard, Amex, or Visa debit card for this payment."

Did you get this message? Am I ok using my Chase Fairmont visa for this transaction with getting cash advance?

Thanks!
Pay the first time with a non visa. Then you can use visa after because the relationship is established at that point
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1.75% fee for a limited time only on biz purchases $20k+ w/ MC

I got a misleadingly-formatted email from Plastiq today saying I can have a decreased fee of 1.75% on business purchases using MasterCard for a limited time.

Except in the "here's how" section (and only there) it broke the news that each such purchase has to be a minimum of $20,000.

Why couldn't they have added a word like "large" in front of "purchases" in the description? IMHO It's misleading to "bury" the fact that only $20k+ purchases qualify.

I'm sure many people have real business purchases aplenty that are less than $20k.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I got a misleadingly-formatted email from Plastiq today saying I can have a decreased fee of 1.75% on business purchases using MasterCard for a limited time.

Except in the "here's how" section (and only there) it broke the news that each such purchase has to be a minimum of $20,000.

Why couldn't they have added a word like "large" in front of "purchases" in the description? IMHO It's misleading to "bury" the fact that only $20k+ purchases qualify.

I'm sure many people have real business purchases aplenty that are less than $20k.
I got this too. $20k is ridonk.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:43 am

Pay the first time with a non visa. Then you can use visa after because the relationship is established at that point
Ditto.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Tofe
I got this too. $20k is ridonk.
Sure is. I don't see how anyone will bite on this - any business partner I've worked with that I had to pay that much had no issues taking payment however I wanted to pay, card, check, whatever. Doesn't make any sense to pay an additional fee to Plastiq when the business can take payment directly.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Thanks for sharing; it would have gotten lost in my email otherwise.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:49 pm

Contractors usually insist on a check so this works.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Contractors usually insist on a check so this works.
But even at a 1.75% fee, how is it going to be worthwhile? There's no card out there with a $20k threshold to get the sign-up bonus, so it has to be just about earning points on the spend itself. You can't use cards like AmEx BBP or CIP because the offer is MC only. If ATT AM codes at 3x of course it would make sense, but are there any reports on the "Business Services" category (assuming it even coded as that on Citi's end)? With Citi Double Cash you would be guaranteed to clear 0.25%...yay.

Update: Per this post ATT AM does not earn 3x on Business Services. So really don't see what the point would be here.

Last edited by milypan; Jul 12, 2017 at 12:13 pm Reason: Updated with additional data

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.