Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:40 am

I am trying to pay mortgage and got the following message. Is that possible Plastiq is trying fix the coding issue so they can earn mortgage payment back?

WE RECOMMEND USING A DIFFERENT CARD FOR THIS PAYMENT

Unfortunately, Visa credit cards cannot be used to pay this recipient. To submit your payment to NATIONSTAR MORTGAGE, you must use a different card type (e.g., MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.).
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by akcae
Data point:

Chase mortgage paid with CIP - 3x earned.
Rountpoint mortgage paid with CIP - 1x earned.
Not much of a data point without dates
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:10 pm

I've read that some folks have their rent/mortgage checks sent to their own address instead of to the payee.

Do you put yourself on the "Attention" line? Just want to make sure that USPS doesn't deny delivery because it isn't addressed to me.

thanks
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Another payment that card processing immediately AND posts and days later it isn't sent. Willing to keep working at this but it's a bit annoying to have to do live chat 5-7 days after my card is billed to ask them to handle it.

And just like the last few times I did 1, 2 or 3 other payments at the same time. All within 5-10mins total time. All others out the door and on the way!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I've read that some folks have their rent/mortgage checks sent to their own address instead of to the payee.

Do you put yourself on the "Attention" line? Just want to make sure that USPS doesn't deny delivery because it isn't addressed to me.

thanks
Considering that USPS has no qualms delivering mail addressed to my cat, I'm pretty sure you're fine. USPS delivers to an address and doesn't care to whom mail is addressed.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:47 pm

Considering that USPS has no qualms delivering mail addressed to my cat, I'm pretty sure you're fine. USPS delivers to an address and doesn't care to whom mail is addressed.
Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:03 pm

It looks like Plastiq pulled the promo of one free payment if you schedule six in advance.

Nothing currently offered besides referral bonuses, unfort.

I wonder if I should bother booking something at this point. This would be my first payment. I guess with ATT even one month at full fee is worth it? Hoping it still posts as 3x for June month end.

What do you guys think ?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Not true always. USPS informed delivery showed Plastiq mail coming in and it did that same day. However I had some other junk mails addressed to some old tenants and that was not delivered(Not that I cared). I was worried too as the Plastiq check came in 10 days after it was billed.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:02 pm

Has anyone looked at the postmark of their check (if delivered to yourself). I wonder how long of a float plastiq enjoys
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
It looks like Plastiq pulled the promo of one free payment if you schedule six in advance.

Nothing currently offered besides referral bonuses, unfort.

I wonder if I should bother booking something at this point. This would be my first payment. I guess with ATT even one month at full fee is worth it? Hoping it still posts as 3x for June month end.

What do you guys think ?
Full fee equals 2.5%. If* 1 TYP is worth 1 cent, then you'd be making only net 0.5 TYP. If Citi offered you a card earning 0.5 TYP per dollar, would you bother with it?

*I don't know what you use TYP for so I don't know how much you value 1 TYP.

To me, Plastiq seems worth it mainly when using it to meet a signup bonus minimum spend, which can be the equivalent of 10x or 20x or 30x or more. With the 2.5% fee, I'd find it hard to justify for anything other than signup bonus minimum spend, especially with all the news about 3x with Plastiq going away on this card or that card.

But to get Plastiq for rent / mortgage to work well for minimum spend, you might need to pay a few months at once (when you need to do minimum spend), and then take a rest (when you are between minimum spends), rather than doing it on a monthly basis. I don't know how many landlords or mortgage holders would like that vs wouldn't.

I myself haven't used Plastiq for rent / mortgage. I've used it for once-a-year insurance payments [that in my case don't accept credit cards]. That's much easier to mesh with signup bonus minimum spend.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by samwkchan
I am trying to pay mortgage and got the following message. Is that possible Plastiq is trying fix the coding issue so they can earn mortgage payment back?
Another one bites the dust.
http://milestomemories.boardingarea....-visa-blocked/
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
ATT Card drops 3X for rental and real estate payments

Just received this:
"The categories eligible to earn 3x ThankYou Points for purchases made with your AT&T Access More card are being updated. Beginning July 22, 2017, you’ll only receive 1 point, not 3x points, for every $1 spent online on the purchase or reloading of gift cards or on rental and real estate payments."
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
I just received the following also:

" The categories eligible to earn 3x ThankYou Points for purchases made with your AT&T Access More card are being updated. Beginning July 22, 2017, you’ll only receive 1 point, not 3x points, for every $1 spent online on the purchase or reloading of gift cards or on rental and real estate payments.

Please note, you’ll still earn 3x points on every $1 spent on purchases made online at eligible retail and travel websites, including department and warehouse websites, online travel agencies and airline websites."
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yugi
Why do they care? I know the basic don't pay with credit with credit but most people who spend the time to figure out how Plastiq works is doing it for a specific reason and not carrying a balance.

I guess my point being I should be able to 'buy/spend' whatever way I want.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Why do they care? I know the basic don't pay with credit with credit but most people who spend the time to figure out how Plastiq works is doing it for a specific reason and not carrying a balance.

I guess my point being I should be able to 'buy/spend' whatever way I want.
It sounds to me like Citi is trying to fire its most unprofitable customers, but in a soft way.

I think this is great because it means someone is trying to figure out how to make this card sustainable - which means this card may have a future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.