Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
But even at a 1.75% fee, how is it going to be worthwhile? There's no card out there with a $20k threshold to get the sign-up bonus, so it has to be just about earning points on the spend itself. You can't use cards like AmEx BBP or CIP because the offer is MC only. If ATT AM codes at 3x of course it would make sense, but are there any reports on the "Business Services" category (assuming it even coded as that on Citi's end)? With Citi Double Cash you would be guaranteed to clear 0.25%...yay.

Update: Per this post ATT AM does not earn 3x on Business Services. So really don't see what the point would be here.
I don't understand the argument. You can buy points without a loss that you might not otherwise earn even if it's 0.25%. Maybe it's not worth the trouble. Arrival+ is a better card to use though where you effectively get 2.05% back. Spend $20k for $350 and earn $410 in points. Repeat? Plus potentially get $500 in a signup bonus.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
One angle is to use this to buy B6 Mosaic status using the Barclay Jetblue+ MC for about $175 if you value B6 points at 1.4cpm. You could also buy an AA EQD waiver of 3k/6k if you have a Barclays Aviator Red/Silver. Depending on what you value AA miles at (1.5-1.6cpm?) it could be worthwhile.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rrgg
I don't understand the argument. You can buy points without a loss that you might not otherwise earn even if it's 0.25%. Maybe it's not worth the trouble. Arrival+ is a better card to use though where you effectively get 2.05% back. Spend $20k for $350 and earn $410 in points. Repeat?
Repeat? How many people have a single $20k contractor expense coming due in the next two weeks (or however long they gave us), let alone multiple ones?

Yes, if you happened to be about to pay someone >$20k next week, and you were going to do it by check, then you might as well take advantage of this offer and pay with Double Cash or Arrival+. My point is that it's not worth engaging in any effort beyond that given the very low return. Technically the title of this forum is "Manufactured Spend" – this is not spending that would be worth expending any effort to manufacture.

Originally Posted by ralphs
One angle is to use this to buy B6 Mosaic status using the Barclay Jetblue+ MC for about $175 if you value B6 points at 1.4cpm. You could also buy an AA EQD waiver of 3k/6k if you have a Barclays Aviator Red/Silver. Depending on what you value AA miles at (1.5-1.6cpm?) it could be worthwhile.
Given that you can "buy" spending using any kind of credit card for 1.87% by paying income taxes, I don't view this as much of an opportunity.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Repeat? How many people have a single $20k contractor expense coming due in the next two weeks (or however long they gave us), let alone multiple ones?

Yes, if you happened to be about to pay someone >$20k next week, and you were going to do it by check, then you might as well take advantage of this offer and pay with Double Cash or Arrival+. My point is that it's not worth engaging in any effort beyond that given the very low return. Technically the title of this forum is "Manufactured Spend" – this is not spending that would be worth expending any effort to manufacture.

Given that you can "buy" spending using any kind of credit card for 1.87% by paying income taxes, I don't view this as much of an opportunity.
It seems like you're making the case that this is better than tax payments.

The effort is the same, and as you said it costs less. Plus if your $20k 1040ES tax payment is an overpayment then you'd tie up money until your refund arrives. I won't be doing this deal, but I could see a few people might be able to use it.

I didn't even think of using it toward Mosaic.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rrgg
It seems like you're making the case that this is better than tax payments.

The effort is the same, and as you said it costs less. Plus if your $20k 1040ES tax payment is an overpayment then you'd tie up money until your refund arrives. I won't be doing this deal, but I could see a few people might be able to use it.

I didn't even think of using it toward Mosaic.
Yes, if you are a Plastiq user with a $20k contractor bill coming due between Jul 27 and, say, Aug 10, it's potentially worth doing. I just question how large that set of people is. I wouldn't be shocked if it were the null set.

Last edited by milypan; Jul 12, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:15 pm

I'm interested in this angle for Mosaic status but still not too clear on it. You need to spend 50K/ year and then status is for the remainder of this year and all of 2018?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by cbra2
I'm interested in this angle for Mosaic status but still not too clear on it. You need to spend 50K/ year and then status is for the remainder of this year and all of 2018?
Yes, you will have it through 2018 if you spend 50k this year.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Are there any other Mastercards with "stretch" spending goals?

I can only think of 3: (1) Barclay AA Aviator Silver/Red for EQM and EQD (2) Barclay Jetblue for outright status (3) Citi AA Exec for EQM (does not stack with (1))
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But even at a 1.75% fee, how is it going to be worthwhile? There's no card out there with a $20k threshold to get the sign-up bonus, so it has to be just about earning points on the spend itself. You can't use cards like AmEx BBP or CIP because the offer is MC only. If ATT AM codes at 3x of course it would make sense, but are there any reports on the "Business Services" category (assuming it even coded as that on Citi's end)? With Citi Double Cash you would be guaranteed to clear 0.25%...yay.

Update: Per this post ATT AM does not earn 3x on Business Services. So really don't see what the point would be here.
I got a retention offer of 2 extra TYP points (ie, a total of 3 TYP points per $ on "normal" stuff") for 6 months on my Citi TYP Premier a month or so ago, and I wasn't the only one, so if someone got that, then 1.75% or even the normal 2.5% would still be a little bit of net profit. And Citi TYP cards (issued in recent years, anyway) are MCs.

So it's possible for there to be MCs out there on which it's a net earning, but they might not be offers that are available to everyone.

Anyway, do we have any clue what percentage of people out there (not in the forum, but out in the world) use Plastiq to earn miles doing the math, vs how many just do it for the convenience and for the "float" (and damn the cost) or so they can pay over time? I would suspect it's more the latter. To some people, floating $20k (or whatever) for a month or more (before you have the bill) is worth a fee in terms of bank account management, but that has nothing do with collecting miles & points. Many people would have a pay a much higher interest rate to "borrow" $20k for up to a month and a half than 1.75% of $20k fixed (the cost of having Plastiq "float" the money for you in this case).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:37 pm

Why not both?

In our industry, we usually have to pay our suppliers within 30/60 days whereas our customers will usually pay us in 90/180 days. It is a known issue of suckage so being able to charge to Plastiq for a $20k+ business expense at 1.75% to delay expenses for a month (depending on billing cycles) is a win. A very temporary one but I'll take it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I use the Amex Plat for the mortgage each month with Umpqua Bank to get those extra points.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:33 pm

I have a payment scheduled for a few months, the first scheduled payment occurred already. Can I change the credit card I used in my first payment, but still keep the scheduled payments?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
I have a payment scheduled for a few months, the first scheduled payment occurred already. Can I change the credit card I used in my first payment, but still keep the scheduled payments?
Yes. I've done it many times.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by batmandds
Yes. I've done it many times.
I was told that if I change payment type I'd lose the credit for first free payment that I received when I booked six in advance.

I'm interested in switching from ATT to Amex BBP after Citi drops 3x later this month
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:57 pm

Thanks batmandds.

Hmm I plan to give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.