Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by viking123
My local Walmart (Southern CA) told me that they do not allow the GObank card to be loaded with any kind of Visa Gift cards since about 1-2 month ago !
Corporate sent them a memo stating that GC were excluded due to "fraud risks".

They also do not allow GC for MO or Billpay....
Buy GCs that hide the fact they are gift cards
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkfrank
Buy GCs that hide the fact they are gift cards
How would I buy GCs that hides the fact that they are gift cards? I previously bought a few GC with my name on them from giftcardmall.com. However, they also showed "Gift Card" on them.. Do you have any suggestions?

In any case, I can't buy from giftcardmall.com or giftcards.com anymore. Every time I try, the order is cancelled .

Also, I need to buy some the GCs at grocery stores to meet min spend on an AmExp card.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Actually, mine have chips from July.
That's surprising. I got one card about 3 weeks ago and one for my wife just this week and neither of them are chip cards.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:35 am

My local Walmart (Southern CA) told me that they do not allow the GObank card to be loaded with any kind of Visa Gift cards since about 1-2 month ago !
Corporate sent them a memo stating that GC were excluded due to "fraud risks".

They also do not allow GC for MO or Billpay....
First rule of GCs at WM, you don't talk about GCs at WM.
Second rule of GCs at WM, YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT GCs at WM.

I suspect you burnt that WM. As you can see from the thread, it's BAU for many, including me who loaded at my local yesterday. Please take the time to read the thread, yes it's long but the information is there. There is a search bar to look for keywords.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
How would I buy GCs that hides the fact that they are gift cards? I previously bought a few GC with my name on them from giftcardmall.com. However, they also showed "Gift Card" on them.. Do you have any suggestions?

In any case, I can't buy from giftcardmall.com or giftcards.com anymore. Every time I try, the order is cancelled .

Also, I need to buy some the GCs at grocery stores to meet min spend on an AmExp card.
If you're loading at the register most CSRs can't see what you're doing. Maybe try not exposing too much gift card by keeping your arm/hands moving as little as possible? Also, sounds like you're not in good standing with Gift Card Mall. What I did was order the black cards and use a black Sharpie to color out the 'Gift Card' wording just in case they wanted to look at it. Most of the time they didn't.

Good luck!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by unicon
That's surprising. I got one card about 3 weeks ago and one for my wife just this week and neither of them are chip cards.
Yep. Got my Gobank Visa with chip.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by abcpp
Yep. Got my Gobank Visa with chip.
Probably the Visa one which has the chip then. I was taking about the permanent MC debit card for accounts opened with the in-store WM kit.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by unicon
Probably the Visa one which has the chip then. I was taking about the permanent MC debit card for accounts opened with the in-store WM kit.
Ah, yes mine is a Visa opened from in-store WM kit.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:39 pm

Ah, yes mine is a Visa opened from in-store WM kit.
The WM in-store kit are MC though. Didn't think they sell the Visa version in WM-instore.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:56 pm

Doesn't the Visa one also have loading fees at WM?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Is the permanent card still without a chip?
My permanent card is MC with chip.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The WM in-store kit are MC though. Didn't think they sell the Visa version in WM-instore.
My mistake, should have looked at my card instead of assuming this was the difference. I indeed have the MC version permanent card sent after activating in store kit and it has the chip and loads with no fees.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
GoBank fraud?

Hi all - I recently experienced fraud on my Greendot/GoBank/Uber Debit card, and I've hear rumors of fraud against these cards being somewhat common.

More disturbingly, Greendot has completely failed to do any meaningful investigation of my fraud claims until I took extreme measures. They denied my claims, twice, without any apparent investigation whatsoever, nor did I receive communication from them (the promised "letter") either time. I didn't find out the claim was denied until I contacted them again.

I was finally able to get some action out of them using a scattershot strategy of filing a CFPB complaint(which was then forwarded to the Federal Reserve) and contacting the Greendot executive office. Not sure which one was ultimately successful.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar borderline criminal behavior from these slimy effers?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by tadc
Hi all - I recently experienced fraud on my Greendot/GoBank/Uber Debit card, and I've hear rumors of fraud against these cards being somewhat common.

More disturbingly, Greendot has completely failed to do any meaningful investigation of my fraud claims until I took extreme measures. They denied my claims, twice, without any apparent investigation whatsoever, nor did I receive communication from them (the promised "letter") either time. I didn't find out the claim was denied until I contacted them again.

I was finally able to get some action out of them using a scattershot strategy of filing a CFPB complaint(which was then forwarded to the Federal Reserve) and contacting the Greendot executive office. Not sure which one was ultimately successful.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar borderline criminal behavior from these slimy effers?
Threaten to write your congressman. That always gets them. Or threaten to sue, that works for the president.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by tadc

Your lack of information inhibits meaningful response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.