Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Are you subject to the 8.95 monthly fee? Is there a good way around that without Employer DD?
Doing an ACH transfer, of $500 or more, from another bank account should show up as DD and waive the monthly fee. At least the transfer from my chase checking account did it.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by unicon
Doing an ACH transfer, of $500 or more, from another bank account should show up as DD and waive the monthly fee. At least the transfer from my chase checking account did it.
Paypal works too
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jack101
Is this limited access a new development for new sign ups recently? I am thinking to get this card but don't want to get some "limited access" and have to fight to get the money back.
I got one from WM and signed up online. Looks like things are normal and I am waiting for the personalized card to arrive.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
So now you have even more money in the account to drain. I've read that loads are a problem if you don't keep the balance at or near 0. Do you actually pay CCs directly from there or withdraw the cash to a primary account somehow?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:19 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I've read that loads are a problem if you don't keep the balance at or near 0 ?
fake news, only a problem if will exceed $3k
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:24 pm

Sorry for a whole bunch of Newbie questions. This wiki is 58 pages and I have tried to read some. Maybe the answers to my questions are of general interest and can be posted permanently on the Wiki?

A. Purchase & Card features
1. If I buy the card at WM, can I then have free loads of GC at WM (only)?
2. Do most WM carry the card (in Southern CA)?
3. Where at WM can I do the loads? Cashier or MoneyCenter (with long lines)?
4. To avoid the $8.95 fee, I can transfer in (ACH) $500 from my bank (CU) per cycle. Does the cycle start on the purchase date or Calendar month?
5. ATM withdrawals are free if I use their ATM network. I tried to locate those at GoBank.com/ATM, but it then asks me to log in!?

B. Loading
6. Are Simon Mall Visa GC in domination of $500 and $1,000 OK to load?
7. Are Grocery Store Visa GC issued by Metabank, and in domination of $500 OK to load?
8. Wiki states max 3 swipes. I assume that means that I can only load 3 GC/day (e.g. 3x$500)?
9. Is there a daily $ load limit?
10. To avoid shutdown, I should not load more than $3K/month?
11. To avoid shutdown, I should keep the balance below $3K at all times.

C. Unloading
12. Many Walmarts don't allow MO purchase using GC anymore. Would they accept the GO Card?
13. It appears that I can use the account for Billpay to pay my CC. Any risk for shutdown if I only use the account this way?
14. Can I withdraw (ACH) the funds to my bank? I guess that may cause shutdown.
15. I assume that ATM withdrawals may also cause shutdown (what are the fees for this?)?
16. Can I use the Card at PayPal or Google Pay (prev. Google Wallet) for payments?
17. To avoid shutdown, I should wait "a few days" between loading and unloading?

Sorry again for all the questions, in particular since some may already be answered in the posts.
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help answer my questions!!!

Last edited by viking123; Nov 5, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:48 pm

When I was new, I went back two years and read every comment on every thread I was interested in. I learned a lot including what worked historically and was able to extrapolate info. It helped tremendously when I reached a point of experimenting and trying new things.
randomdude likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by viking123
Sorry for a whole bunch of Newbie questions. This wiki is 58 pages and I have tried to read some. Maybe the answers to my questions are of general interest and can be posted permanently on the Wiki?

A. Purchase & Card features
1. If I buy the card at WM, can I then have free loads of GC at WM (only)?
2. Do most WM carry the card (in Southern CA)?
3. Where at WM can I do the loads? Cashier or MoneyCenter (with long lines)?
4. To avoid the $8.95 fee, I can transfer in (ACH) $500 from my bank (CU) per cycle. Does the cycle start on the purchase date or Calendar month?
5. ATM withdrawals are free if I use their ATM network. I tried to locate those at GoBank.com/ATM, but it then asks me to log in!?

B. Loading
6. Are Simon Mall Visa GC in domination of $500 and $1,000 OK to load?
7. Are Grocery Store Visa GC issued by Metabank, and in domination of $500 OK to load?
8. Wiki states max 3 swipes. I assume that means that I can only load 3 GC/day (e.g. 3x$500)?
9. Is there a daily $ load limit?
10. To avoid shutdown, I should not load more than $3K/month?
11. To avoid shutdown, I should keep the balance below $3K at all times.

C. Unloading
12. Many Walmarts don't allow MO purchase using GC anymore. Would they accept the GO Card?
13. It appears that I can use the account for Billpay to pay my CC. Any risk for shutdown if I only use the account this way?
14. Can I withdraw (ACH) the funds to my bank? I guess that may cause shutdown.
15. I assume that ATM withdrawals may also cause shutdown (what are the fees for this?)?
16. Can I use the Card at PayPal or Google Pay (prev. Google Wallet) for payments?
17. To avoid shutdown, I should wait "a few days" between loading and unloading?

Sorry again for all the questions, in particular since some may already be answered in the posts.
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help answer my questions!!!
Many of these questions are answered in the thread. To help you get started, MC at WM, read the package. Good luck
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:57 pm

I tried to call GO Bank using (888) 288-1843 to get some answers but that is only an automatic system. Any way to contact them?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:25 pm

I tried to call GO Bank using (888) 288-1843 to get some answers but that is only an automatic system. Any way to contact them?
Actually you can talk to an agent on that number itself, even though it says it is only an automated system. Simply keep choosing the option for 'none of the above' (usually the last option). After 2-3 levels of menu it should connect to an agent.
viking123 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:37 pm

My local Walmart (Southern CA) told me that they do not allow the GObank card to be loaded with any kind of Visa Gift cards since about 1-2 month ago !
Corporate sent them a memo stating that GC were excluded due to "fraud risks".

They also do not allow GC for MO or Billpay....
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:55 pm

My local Walmart (Southern CA) told me that they do not allow the GObank card to be loaded with any kind of Visa Gift cards since about 1-2 month ago !
The system is fine with it, but some CSRs aren't. This is the conundrum.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by jack101
I got one from WM and signed up online. Looks like things are normal and I am waiting for the personalized card to arrive.
Is the permanent card still without a chip?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Is the permanent card still without a chip?
Yes they are still without a chip.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:23 pm

Yes they are still without a chip.
Actually, mine have chips from July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.