Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by liushu
I logged on my gobank account today and happened to find all of my billpay payees were removed and I couldn't re-add any new ones except "manually add". Does anyone have the same issue?
Had the same issue yesterday (May 1). I just decided to wait and postpone paying a bill.

It is working properly today (May 2).
Old May 8, 2017, 10:28 pm

Hit a large bump in the road today. This will be a data point you won't be happy to read.

I've been reading (in the WM MO thread) about scattered issues with limits on splitting payment when buying MOs at WM. This now appears to have infected my favorite Neighbor Wally and spread to GB loads as well.

I have 2 GB accounts, one for me and one for my wife. Today I loaded the first account as a split transaction. No problema. When I asked to load the second account the same way (split payment), the CSR refused. This store's new rule is only one split transaction per customer (not per account) per day. After a short conversation (I begged for pity, because I try to load both of our accounts equally in order to keep track of things more easily), he agreed to allow me to do a split load for account #2 today only.

Henceforth and forevermore, this store will insist that I adhere to the new rule. So it looks like my max load to GB will be $500 per account per trip if I want to load both accounts on the same trip. And this will mean more trips to WM if I want to max our accounts each month. It's still doable, because I routinely shop at this location, but it raises the hassle factor.

I've got a few other WMs around, but this Neighbor Wally was previously my most MS-friendly location by far.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Hit a large bump in the road today. This will be a data point you won't be happy to read.

I've been reading (in the WM MO thread) about scattered issues with limits on splitting payment when buying MOs at WM. This now appears to have infected my favorite Neighbor Wally and spread to GB loads as well.

I have 2 GB accounts, one for me and one for my wife. Today I loaded the first account as a split transaction. No problema. When I asked to load the second account the same way (split payment), the CSR refused. This store's new rule is only one split transaction per customer (not per account) per day. After a short conversation (I begged for pity, because I try to load both of our accounts equally in order to keep track of things more easily), he agreed to allow me to do a split load for account #2 today only.

Henceforth and forevermore, this store will insist that I adhere to the new rule. So it looks like my max load to GB will be $500 per account per trip if I want to load both accounts on the same trip. And this will mean more trips to WM if I want to max our accounts each month. It's still doable, because I routinely shop at this location, but it raises the hassle factor.

I've got a few other WMs around, but this Neighbor Wally was previously my most MS-friendly location by far.
You don't have to use the money center to load these cards, just go to a register.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
You don't have to use the money center to load these cards, just go to a register.
YMMV - Have done that, sometimes i'm told at store register the load limit is $200 at the registers or they can't do that at the register, go to the money center.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus

I went to WM on Sunday to purchase some MO's to unload VGC' from the last OD/OM promo a few weeks ago (I already maxed out the GB cards I have for the 30 day period). CSR at MC said that that had put in a new system and didn't know if she could split payments anymore (I usually use 4 cards to buy an $800 MO). I asked her to try and we'd see what happened. Everything worked as it had before without problem. She didn't say anything to be about a new "rule." I got 4 MO's this way.

I went to a different WM on Monday (not my usual store but by where I had a meeting) to get rid of the last bunch of cards that I had. Also got 4 MO's.
No problems there either and not a mention of a new rule, etc.

This may be a per store/clerk thing or something related to loading prepaid cards versus MO's. You can always go through the cashier lines, but that will definitely be a slower process.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
WM cashiers are usually not rocket scientists. I do use the cashiers, but don't try to do split loads with cashiers. When I've asked a cashier to do a split load in the past, I've seen a look of panic flash across their face.

On occasion, if no one else is in line and I'm having a good day, a cashier has done 2 separate $500 loads in a row for me for each of my accounts.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:49 pm

I was told that loading cards isn't allowed at registers at one store. Went to the cashier a few aisles down who loaded my card no problem. So try another cashier before you write off an entire store.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: MileagePLUS, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Superorb
I was told that loading cards isn't allowed at registers at one store. Went to the cashier a few aisles down who loaded my card no problem. So try another cashier before you write off an entire store.
Same experience here. I once had a cashier tell me I had to go to the Money Center to load - she used a very dismissing tone. I generally don't get in arguments, because if the cashier is going to lie to you, she probably is going to get the transaction wrong. However, right at that moment, one of the senior cashiers I was more familiar with walked right by me as I was standing at the register and I said "can you show LaShawn here how to do this?" and the cashier said "Sure!" The obstinate cashier got schooled right in front of me.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by GatorSmiley
Same experience here. I once had a cashier tell me I had to go to the Money Center to load - she used a very dismissing tone. I generally don't get in arguments, because if the cashier is going to lie to you, she probably is going to get the transaction wrong. However, right at that moment, one of the senior cashiers I was more familiar with walked right by me as I was standing at the register and I said "can you show LaShawn here how to do this?" and the cashier said "Sure!" The obstinate cashier got schooled right in front of me.
Oh yes, sweet vindication tastes so good!
Old May 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Has anyone been able to log into their GoBank account today? I keep getting this msg "We apologize, but we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later." Is the system down?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Has anyone been able to log into their GoBank account today? I keep getting this msg "We apologize, but we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later." Is the system down?
Their website is very flaky, and this happens all the time. Just wait an hour and try again.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Their website is very flaky, and this happens all the time. Just wait an hour and try again.
Ok thanks. Never happen to me before in all these years so got a bit taken aback (not sure I got shut down or what) . Thanks - I can login again now
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:35 pm

Went to WM to load $600 ($500+$100) and everything looked OK until register printed a slip saying:

"The following card(s)/item cannot be activated (GoBank Card number)

A refund for the card(s) is included in the change due to the customer.
This amount will be shown on your register as a negative amount."

I think I tried to soon to load and the load got denied.

I expected to see a refund on my GCs but both are showing $0 balance. Will the refund post in several days or I need to contact customer service?

When it happened last time I saw reversal on GC website almost immediately after attempted purchase.

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by touristtrap
Went to WM to load $600 ($500+$100) and everything looked OK until register printed a slip saying:

"The following card(s)/item cannot be activated (GoBank Card number)

A refund for the card(s) is included in the change due to the customer.
This amount will be shown on your register as a negative amount."

I think I tried to soon to load and the load got denied.

I expected to see a refund on my GCs but both are showing $0 balance. Will the refund post in several days or I need to contact customer service?

When it happened last time I saw reversal on GC website almost immediately after attempted purchase.

Thanks
Reading it, it looks like the cashier was supposed to refund you in cash. I would wait up to 8 days for the money to return to the card or else you need to contact the accounting dept at that WM along with your receipt.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Reading it, it looks like the cashier was supposed to refund you in cash. I would wait up to 8 days for the money to return to the card or else you need to contact the accounting dept at that WM along with your receipt.
Resolution:

You were right.
He failed to issue me cash and after waiting for 10 days I called Electronic Payment Hotline and the rep told me that I was due cash back as they could not credit debit cards back.
She called the store and arranged with Customer service Manager for me to come to the store and pick up my money tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.