Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by hickson
Just tried two USB MC in the store and all were fine. Remember to hit "cancel" as soon as you swipe the card. Then select "debt" and enter "pin #". Let me know if you have further question.
Is the hitting cancel and changing payment type (to process as debit) only needed for USB MCGCs? Do the Metabank VGCs process as debit by default?

EDIT: Adding my own DP. Metabank VGC worked flawlessly. Didn't need to hit cancel/change payment type.

Last edited by halluc1nati0n; Apr 19, 2017 at 8:30 pm Reason: Added DP
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by halluc1nati0n
Is the hitting cancel and changing payment type (to process as debit) only needed for USB MCGCs? Do the Metabank VGCs process as debit by default?

EDIT: Adding my own DP. Metabank VGC worked flawlessly. Didn't need to hit cancel/change payment type.
Only MCGCs and it not only USB but all MCGCs need that workaround.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Only MCGCs and it not only USB but all MCGCs need that workaround.
Do Bancorp OV MGCs work at Walmart or anywhere else?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by touristtrap
Check the thread in this forum that discusses purchasing MOs at the USPS. You might also want to try a local supermarket that sells MOs, but whether or not this will work is YMMV.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
Heard chatter that it should work at WM for $50 (limited).

Sorry, disregard. That was possibly for Serve.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:47 am

Anybody know if sending money from amex serve to gobank will show as direct deposit and what is the limit for this type of transfer?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:19 pm

My Walmart money card was shut down 2 weeks ago and now my Gobank was just closed. They are the worst. Randomly my card didn't work. Logged online and it said to call. I called 3x over the course of a week and was on hold for over 20 minutes. Finally submitted a request on the help section of the website. They called the next day and said they were transferring me to someone. I waited 20 minutes and nobody came on. Went back online. They called again. This time I was on hold for over an hour. Went back online and they called me now and said the account was closed and to spend the rest. An email said that "It looks like you’ve been depositing money, then moving it out of the account with little-to-no purchase activity." I did use the card at grocery stores for money orders and cash back on purchases. The rest was dispersed through bill pay. I was loading between about $2-4k a month and would direct deposit into from another account.

I don't see how they can call themselves a legitimate company when they do this stuff. Deposit and move it out? I thought that it was it was supposed to be used for.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
My Walmart money card was shut down 2 weeks ago and now my Gobank was just closed. They are the worst. Randomly my card didn't work. Logged online and it said to call. I called 3x over the course of a week and was on hold for over 20 minutes. Finally submitted a request on the help section of the website. They called the next day and said they were transferring me to someone. I waited 20 minutes and nobody came on. Went back online. They called again. This time I was on hold for over an hour. Went back online and they called me now and said the account was closed and to spend the rest. An email said that "It looks like you’ve been depositing money, then moving it out of the account with little-to-no purchase activity." I did use the card at grocery stores for money orders and cash back on purchases. The rest was dispersed through bill pay. I was loading between about $2-4k a month and would direct deposit into from another account.

I don't see how they can call themselves a legitimate company when they do this stuff. Deposit and move it out? I thought that it was it was supposed to be used for.
Load limit is 3k every 30 days. You attracted unnecessary attention?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
Load limit is 3k every 30 days. You attracted unnecessary attention?
That's not a hard limit and others have done way more than that. I didn't consistently go over the amount. I didn't do any atm withdraws. I'm not sure how debit cash back codes. That could have been it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:50 pm

I know for a fact that for accounts opened on or before 2014, the load limit is >$3K/month(I don't think there is/was a limit). I don't know when the cut off was, for the strict enforcement of limits. I'd consider myself fortunate they just gave me a warning for doing ACH pull, but other than that, they let me do as many B/P as I want per month.

When WMmc and GoB are working, it's great...but once you encounter a problem, it's a nightmare to contact customer (non)service. I'm sure others can relate and one has to have the patience of Job to deal with them successfully.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:29 pm

Is Walmart MC even worth looking into? My understanding is that there are fees for loading? I've been doing 2-3K a month on gobank with no issues so far, knock on wood.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:44 am

we have the WM pref money card which is NLA as of Jan 2016 and it is very useful for MS...as long as it is working properly It is the ONLY money card with no fees to load with GCs. They have upgraded software lately and so far, it has been working faster and B/Ps go through quickly.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
we have the WM pref money card which is NLA as of Jan 2016 and it is very useful for MS...as long as it is working properly It is the ONLY money card with no fees to load with GCs. They have upgraded software lately and so far, it has been working faster and B/Ps go through quickly.
I have a couple of those too. They were pulled from our local store when the new WM money card was coming out. I found some on a road trip and bought a bunch for friends.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:45 pm

I logged on my gobank account today and happened to find all of my billpay payees were removed and I couldn't re-add any new ones except "manually add". Does anyone have the same issue?
Old May 1, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by liushu
I logged on my gobank account today and happened to find all of my billpay payees were removed and I couldn't re-add any new ones except "manually add". Does anyone have the same issue?
it's business as usual for me.

try switching browsers and see if that fixes your problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.