Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:11 am

Is it possible to open an account online? I had one a long time ago but never activated my card. Now whenever I go through the process of opening a new account through their website, I get the message "We apologize, but we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later."
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:07 pm

anyone tried bill paying to the NBA compass card, what address did you use? I was trying to add my account through bbva credit card and compass bank and both didn't accept my account
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by bigauto
anyone tried bill paying to the NBA compass card, what address did you use? I was trying to add my account through bbva credit card and compass bank and both didn't accept my account
if you look at your e-statement/paper statement, it is there. IINM, it goes to Decatur AL.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
IIRC, GoBank is cancelling original accts in order to force the $8.95/mo cards
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:50 am

this is where I've sent payment via B/P feature to bbva compass nba amex card:

P O Box 2210 Decatur AL 35699-0001

I've made several payments via GoB (and other prepaids) and it got there on schedule.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:35 am

Thanks all,

Another question, does any one know if chase pushes count as DD to waive the monthly fee or does an real DD have to be used?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
...does any one know if chase pushes count as DD to waive the monthly fee or does an real DD have to be used?
Chase to GB is a real DD. It works.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:47 pm

Does anyone has a problem to load at Walmart ATM? I load my Gobank Card with different gift cards (metabank vgc from bestbuy and Hyvee). All say invalid card payment. I also tried to load serve card (yes, still survive) and has the same issue. Checked balance of vgc, it's still there. It has been this kind of problem for 1 week. I visited several WM (around 60 miles away) and meet the same problem, except one WM has 9-pin issue. Is the end of WM ATM loading era?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
Does anyone has a problem to load at Walmart ATM? I load my Gobank Card with different gift cards (metabank vgc from bestbuy and Hyvee). All say invalid card payment. I also tried to load serve card (yes, still survive) and has the same issue. Checked balance of vgc, it's still there. It has been this kind of problem for 1 week. I visited several WM (around 60 miles away) and meet the same problem, except one WM has 9-pin issue. Is the end of WM ATM loading era?
The WM ATMs haven't been working to load ANY prepaid cards (GB,Serve,BB,etc) lately. You can still go to a cashier of course, but if you have many cards this might be less desirable.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:38 am

I can see my mortgage bank on the list when I try to add it as new payee but get message on the last screen that customer number is invalid even though I am providing the right loan number and zip code for the payee. Any suggestions on getting around this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I can see my mortgage bank on the list when I try to add it as new payee but get message on the last screen that customer number is invalid even though I am providing the right loan number and zip code for the payee. Any suggestions on getting around this issue will be greatly appreciated.
try removing dashes for account numbers or if issue is with zipcode, enter the full nine digit code instead of just five. I don't have a mortgage but encountered similar issue and it got fixed when I removed the dashes in my CU acct number. Good luck!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
try removing dashes for account numbers or if issue is with zipcode, enter the full nine digit code instead of just five. I don't have a mortgage but encountered similar issue and it got fixed when I removed the dashes in my CU acct number. Good luck!
I used the 9 digit and there are no dashes in my loan number and it still didnt work
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by Stivelio
Are you referring to CitiMortgage? I was unable to set my CitiMortgage as payee. I got the same message as you did - tried entering account # with and without dashes, zip code as 5 or 9 digits - no luck.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Are you referring to CitiMortgage? I was unable to set my CitiMortgage as payee. I got the same message as you did - tried entering account # with and without dashes, zip code as 5 or 9 digits - no luck.
Not citi. Mine is nationstar mortgage
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:02 pm

Hey guys, I bought a couple of visa gift cards from staples online the other day they had the offer of $401 per $400 gc and tried to load one in Walmart yesterday but kept getting denied. GC are issued by bancorp. Do these have the same $49.99 load limit as the vanilla ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.