Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
NO; can't buy VGCs nor load registered prepaid DCs on your own at SCO.

However, you can buy VGCs or load prepaids with the friendly cashier at the SCO regular register. Just be prepared to be turned down if they're busy assisting other customers.
Yup, did this last night. I always ask if they'd mind since the other registers have huge lines and that I can come back another day if they're too busy. They usually don't mind.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Superorb
Yup, did this last night. I always ask if they'd mind since the other registers have huge lines and that I can come back another day if they're too busy. They usually don't mind.
Your post offers nothing new. Please refrain from posting in this thread if it doesn't offer any new information.

Edit: Yes Superorb, but sometimes things have to be said for the masses.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Apr 14, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Your post offers nothing new. Please refrain from posting in this thread if it doesn't offer any new information.
You realize posting this does exactly what you told me not to do, right?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by Superorb
You realize posting this does exactly what you told me not to do, right?
LOL. Oh wait....oops. Please don't shame me.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:41 pm

I have tried to load 1000 Go bank with 2X 500 VGC. I got debit not available after 1st swipe. Usually this happens if cashier doesn't know how to split. I tried a different cashier and same thing. I know WM hasn't stopped accepting VGC. I had same issue few days ago but then it worked with different cashier on different day. Not sure if there is some glitch or WM is in the midst of upgrading their system. It works sometimes and then it doesn't. Anyone has similar experience? When you ask CSM, they have no clue other than they are constantly changing systems.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Gitangali
I have tried to load 1000 Go bank with 2X 500 VGC. I got debit not available after 1st swipe. Usually this happens if cashier doesn't know how to split. I tried a different cashier and same thing. I know WM hasn't stopped accepting VGC. I had same issue few days ago but then it worked with different cashier on different day. Not sure if there is some glitch or WM is in the midst of upgrading their system. It works sometimes and then it doesn't. Anyone has similar experience? When you ask CSM, they have no clue other than they are constantly changing systems.
When it comes to loading GB at Walmart I have always found loading more than $600 at one time results in an error and the load failing. For example, if I use 4 $200 VGC the load will fail, but if I use 3 for a $600 load it goes through no problem. This may be a YMMV, but it's been my experience for years.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:23 pm

After 1K failed I tried 500 just to ensure cashiers aren't goofing up and that failed too. with 500 load, there is no splitting etc it is single load.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by JeffD
When it comes to loading GB at Walmart I have always found loading more than $600 at one time results in an error and the load failing. For example, if I use 4 $200 VGC the load will fail, but if I use 3 for a $600 load it goes through no problem. This may be a YMMV, but it's been my experience for years.
The reason it fails is bc you have a total of 5 swipes = 1 GB swipe + 4 VGC swipe.

You also cannot load more than $500 at the cashier register AFAIK
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:29 am

If this WM not accepting VGC to unload come to fruition, the MS is going to get so wound up. It would be beyond anyone's imagination. Bring it ON, let's throw the final nail in the coffin.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
If this WM not accepting VGC to unload come to fruition, the MS is going to get so wound up. It would be beyond anyone's imagination. Bring it ON, let's throw the final nail in the coffin.
as of today, Apr 21, it's still bau at my go-to WM for loading GoB, WMmc and AXP prepaids; WMBP and MOs. No double beeps as reported by others; no eMSAR for the early birds, too.

YMMV still rules since registers nationwide have not been hard coded to disallow all VGCs to buy MOs, do WMBP or load prepaids.

in your case, it's best to check if your acct is in good standing by doing a small DD (or you can also do ATM w/d); you said in some posts you've gone way over the $3K limit so better check if they caught up with you. If your acct is in good standing....then MAYBE it's just that particular WM and hopefully it's not the same at all the WMs in your area.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ashishsg
Lot of issues of missing payment reported in other forums. I have two bill pay missing for Amex and Chase, money was debited but not paid, a week overdue. Have called Gobank and opened a case # after 33 mins call
I had 4 bill payments to student and auto loans all not get paid around the same time, eventually got refunded.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:52 pm

I have been hearing the double beeps for few weeks now but it has worked many times when it double beeped. I was able to load it to a different Go bank card today. Not sure what's going on.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:11 am

I had been getting surveys for GoBank and the last one asked me about my interest on prepaid for teens (15 y/o or older). Hopefully, they come up with this new product with same feature of free loads with cash/debit at WM.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
The reason it fails is bc you have a total of 5 swipes = 1 GB swipe + 4 VGC swipe.

You also cannot load more than $500 at the cashier register AFAIK
I always thought that the actual swipe of the card you were loading did not count as a “swipe,” but that makes sense. It has been a while since I loaded a Serve or BB card, but if memory serves me correct I could swipe that card to load, and then have 4 other swipes, though I may be mistaken. Also, I usually load at the Money Center so I havent’ run across a limit at a register.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by JeffD

I always thought that the actual swipe of the card you were loading did not count as a “swipe,” but that makes sense. It has been a while since I loaded a Serve or BB card, but if memory serves me correct I could swipe that card to load, and then have 4 other swipes, though I may be mistaken. Also, I usually load at the Money Center so I havent’ run across a limit at a register.
The GoBank or any prepaid for that matter, is considered part of the 4 swipes so you can swipe max of 3 cards to load it.

BTW, there was one time when I loaded $1K and told cashier I have $500 on my first swipe, she made the mistake of keying in $50.00 so I was surprised when my remaining balance came up to $950. I didn't panic and swiped the same card again, telling her to key in $450 and NOT to forget the extra zeros. The final balance came up to $500 and that drained my 2nd GC. All's well that ended well, I just keep in mind the 3 swipe rule when loading prepaids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.