Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
$500 reload transactions worked for me today.

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Had the same "exceed card load limit" few minutes back @ WM when trying to do 3 x $300, anyone else can confirm doing $500 is working fine?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:11 pm

Had the same "exceed card load limit" few minutes back @ WM when trying to do 3 x $300, anyone else can confirm doing $500 is working fine?
appears that $500 is maxed per trans; wonder if $1.1K is still the max per day?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:25 pm

Tried to load $600 at my go to csr at checkout lane and POS system froze when I tried to confirm amount. I couldn't click on Yes No or Espanol.

Not sure what happened, but csr was eventually able to cancel.

I did a $400 load instead
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:42 pm

Did 1 x $300 as first transaction, for 2nd transaction it gave "exceed card load limit" (This was my only transaction made this month) i then tried my wife's gobank card and it worked fine...weird behavior going on...hopefully it is some system glitch and not something else!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Did 1 x $300 as first transaction, for 2nd transaction it gave "exceed card load limit" (This was my only transaction made this month) i then tried my wife's gobank card and it worked fine...weird behavior going on...hopefully it is some system glitch and not something else!
Maybe everyone should chill the .... out.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Maybe everyone should chill the .... out.
Dude you need to chillax. Trying to do 2 x $300 is not that big of a deal. In fact it brings some good DPs to figure out what is going on.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
appears that $500 is maxed per trans; wonder if $1.1K is still the max per day?
declined after split load in 1 trans for $1k ; went thru after loading $500 b2b

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:03 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:25 pm

Cap1 removed my GoBank account link because they saw I was sending money to a prepaid account... Any other bank options I can use to send money and avoid the fee?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

Folks, I need some serious help here:
I opened a GoBank debit card account on 06/23/2018 for a visiting relative who happens to have an ITIN assigned during an earlier visit. Within two weeks, after I deposited $1000 money into my account, my account was frozen/blocked.

I called in and was asked to email ID documents, we sent in her foreign passport but the account was continually blocked. I called in and was told only US issue driver's license and state-id are accept form of identification, quoting the patriot act. However, when I looked up the patriot act, it appears to me that the CIP (customer identification program for financial transactions) does accept foreign passport as a valid identification form for non-us citizens.

At this moment, I was told that the money will stay with them until forfeiture by the state eventually.

I am wondering is there anyone on this board who is familiar with the patriot act, does the above stated correct? Do we have a chance to get our money back? What would be our options here if any?

TIA.
-cc

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:25 pm

Same . @ WM tried a 800 load .Did not go through .Tried 600 didn't make it .. Did 400 successfully
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:58 pm

I was declined $300x3 twice, reading all messages it looks like 2 card limit. Will try 2x$300 tomorrow.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Limit is not number of cards. It's $500 per txn
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:14 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Cap1 removed my GoBank account link because they saw I was sending money to a prepaid account... Any other bank options I can use to send money and avoid the fee?
So do ACH deposits from any bank work? I was going to send them via my business acct, but if I dont need to thats better.

Can you just open an online bank to transfer your 500/mo?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cchang4
Folks, I need some serious help here:
I opened a GoBank debit card account on 06/23/2018 for a visiting relative who happens to have an ITIN assigned during an earlier visit. Within two weeks, after I deposited $1000 money into my account, my account was frozen/blocked.

I called in and was asked to email ID documents, we sent in her foreign passport but the account was continually blocked. I called in and was told only US issue driver's license and state-id are accept form of identification, quoting the patriot act. However, when I looked up the patriot act, it appears to me that the CIP (customer identification program for financial transactions) does accept foreign passport as a valid identification form for non-us citizens.

At this moment, I was told that the money will stay with them until forfeiture by the state eventually.

I am wondering is there anyone on this board who is familiar with the patriot act, does the above stated correct? Do we have a chance to get our money back? What would be our options here if any?

TIA.
-cc

didn't you have a similar issue before? was it resolved after filing complaint via CFPB? If yes, then do the same thing and wait for your check to arrive; if issue hasn't been resolved and you registered a new account using someone's ITIN, seems like you're a glutton for punishment. TBH, cases like yours where you put funds in someone else's name will be tough to explain and defend whether the account holder is cooperative or not, especially if your relative is just visiting and may have to leave anytime soon. You have to weigh things if it's worth to hire a lawyer to get your money back if it goes to state forfeiture.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
didn't you have a similar issue before? was it resolved after filing complaint via CFPB? If yes, then do the same thing and wait for your check to arrive; if issue hasn't been resolved and you registered a new account using someone's ITIN, seems like you're a glutton for punishment. TBH, cases like yours where you put funds in someone else's name will be tough to explain and defend whether the account holder is cooperative or not, especially if your relative is just visiting and may have to leave anytime soon. You have to weigh things if it's worth to hire a lawyer to get your money back if it goes to state forfeiture.
Yes. I had a similar issue before. But that's a friend's card, so once they verified the id and unblocked the account. We closed it immediately. I don't want to trouble my friend any more.

Then I opened this one under a close relative's name, and I do have full POA to represent her. The problem now is that GoBank does not even try to verify her passport, citing patriot act and only accepting driver's license and state id. I am wondering anybody on this board is familiar with the patriot act? As far as my research goes, a foreign passport is a valid format for identification purpose.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.