Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:05 pm

Hi guys, for all of us that got the message (2X) did you close your accounts already? I have not yet, just wondering what happens if we don't, do they close it for us? That should not be reported on the credit report, correct? TIA
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:39 am
Suspended

They advised you to close it. I believe that somewhere they said it wouldn't be reported, however that was if you closed it. If THEY close it who knows.

AMX is not someone to screw with. If they advised you to close it, I'd close it. I closed mine when they told me. Recently, I applied for two new AMEX cards on the same day (one credit, one charge). This was about 3 weeks after my bluebird died. Got approved for both. So at least the dead BB didn't hurt me in that regard.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
They advised you to close it. I believe that somewhere they said it wouldn't be reported, however that was if you closed it. If THEY close it who knows.

AMX is not someone to screw with. If they advised you to close it, I'd close it. I closed mine when they told me. Recently, I applied for two new AMEX cards on the same day (one credit, one charge). This was about 3 weeks after my bluebird died. Got approved for both. So at least the dead BB didn't hurt me in that regard.
Clear All Pending Transactions
Complete or cancel your pending transactions and bill payments.

My Transactions
Withdraw All Your Funds
Before you can close your Bluebird Account, you must have $0.00 balance.

It does not let me go through after I hit close. Anyone experienced this? My balance is 0.00.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:17 pm

I am unsure if I received the email that many of you were sent on January 8th. I have not used my card for several months. I had only used it two or three times to transfer Simon Mall cards over to the Blue Bird to meet a 1000 dollar credit union requirement. Is there anyway to check to see if I still have access to doing this? I do not want to buy the Simon Mall gift cards if I won't be able to transfer the money over to the card.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by dmbteach22
I am unsure if I received the email that many of you were sent on January 8th. I have not used my card for several months. I had only used it two or three times to transfer Simon Mall cards over to the Blue Bird to meet a 1000 dollar credit union requirement. Is there anyway to check to see if I still have access to doing this? I do not want to buy the Simon Mall gift cards if I won't be able to transfer the money over to the card.
I would probably start with checking your BB account online, see if anything amiss. If all looks good then why not buy, say, a $50 VGC and try to load it via Kate at WM? If it's a no-go - then you can just use it as a regular card.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by dmbteach22
I do not want to buy the Simon Mall gift cards if I won't be able to transfer the money over to the card.
if you don't want to buy a GC to load in-store, the other way to find out if you've been shutdown is to load online with your bank DC. If you don't get the message that loading to your account has been disabled due to unusual activities, it means your account is still fully functional.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 1:59 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Any more data points on people who DID NOT receive the shutdown emails and tried loading Meta Cards at Kate?

There were some mixed experiences in the previous pages and wanted to see more data.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by htang333
Any more data points on people who DID NOT receive the shutdown emails and tried loading Meta Cards at Kate?

There were some mixed experiences in the previous pages and wanted to see more data.
Kate has always been same to me. Vanilla 49.99 limit / No problem with Meta MCGC / 1999.99 rule .. nothing has changed, even today. Kate is still time-to-time unstable (again, nothing's changed) and that's why you've seen conflicting reports. This is southeast MI, by the way.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:59 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Kate has always been same to me. Vanilla 49.99 limit / No problem with Meta MCGC / 1999.99 rule .. nothing has changed, even today. Kate is still time-to-time unstable (again, nothing's changed) and that's why you've seen conflicting reports. This is southeast MI, by the way.
Good to know! Thanks so much for your input.

If you don't mind me asking, what monthly amount are you thinking about moving through BB to stay under the radar?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:46 pm

Tried US bank? Money Center also works? YMMV?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by prasha11
Tried US bank? Money Center also works? YMMV?
Just loaded 1K of US bank to serve and Kate had no problems accepting them.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by htang333
If you don't mind me asking, what monthly amount are you thinking about moving through BB to stay under the radar?
5k/month. IMO unless the amount is zero, it will look the same for them.

My strategy is to replace to a new card (switch between Serve and BB) every 2-3 months. Not only I can increase to $10k on the replacing months, I could avoid Jan 8th mass cut because mine was new (reopened in Dec 2015). Eventually I'll get caught, though.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
5k/month. IMO unless the amount is zero, it will look the same for them.

My strategy is to replace to a new card (switch between Serve and BB) every 2-3 months. Not only I can increase to $10k on the replacing months, I could avoid Jan 8th mass cut because mine was new (reopened in Dec 2015). Eventually I'll get caught, though.
I never thought about really using BB and Serve and a true alturnitive to my bank, I can easily spend 5K, this would be just in house payments, but I wonder if the loading of $500 on each load is what tipped off Amex...
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
The prepaid cards are all limited-use tricks now it seems. All of them have caught on to MS and ban it. Only way to fly under radar is to use in a way that makes them pointless.
As an update...

- BB opened pre-shutdown wave. Was never used.
- Loaded with 4K in SMGCs towards end of January 2016.
- Have not transferred any money out of the BB yet, nor paid any bills.
- Just loaded 2500 in SMGCs yesterday, 2/3. Still no closure notice.
- Going to load another 1.5K this weekend and then x-fer to linked savings account rather than use bill pay.

I'll report back after the $ is x-ferred out of the BB to see if it triggers acct closure.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
Went to load 2 GCs to BB at Walmart. First one worked fine, second one kept going to straight to signature line without allowing me to press debit. Figured it was specific machine which happens all the time, so went to service center. The person said it could not be a prepaid card (her term) and could not be used to load BB. First time I have heard that one. I am sure it will work fine at my normal (different) Walmart or with a different person, but apparently there is some new training going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.