Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by littyboy
1. Has anyone tried opening a new account after the shutdown on 1/8 and was able to MS?

2. Those who got shutdown, did you lose whatever money was in the acct?
1. yes

2. no

at this point, it's 50/50 chance on those who got their accounts shutdown whether re-registration to any other am3x prepaid will get approved or not.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tronsom
Interesting. Will Amex know if the load is being done with a GC instead of a real debit card? Because if its the amounts that flag accounts we can just do random loads instead of $500.
I plan on seeing if this is true...
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:37 am

Has anybody gotten shut down for loading $1-2k in GC per month and using the funds to bill pay?
Yes, for one of the two BB's in my household. Plus, it had scattered small purchases at WM each month.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Feb 25, 2016 at 1:19 pm Reason: fix formatting
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:42 am

Interesting. Will Amex know if the load is being done with a GC instead of a real debit card? Because if its the amounts that flag accounts we can just do random loads instead of $500.
My best guess on the reason for shutting both my and SO's BB's is that the debit card number was consistently different from load to load. Your WM deposit receipt lists last 4 digitis of each VGC so it is tracked by AmEx during the transaction.

I was careful over 3 years to mix billpays, manual checks for charity, small WM purchases and WM savings catcher deposits/spends to not show that I was exclusively MSing. Didn't matter as I still got shut down. The only consistent thing is that I never linked a bank account, direct deposited, or my ATM card - always added funds via VGC's in varying amounts. That forms the basis for my supposition above.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by particlemn
I was shut down in Jan. and was approved for an amex business card last week. I also got a targeted amex prg application in the mail yesterday even though I had the card about 3 years ago. So far for me at least it seems just a bluebird shutdown, but only time will tell.
I had a Bluebird for a year and half, which got shut down in January. I applied for and got an AMEX Hilton co-branded CC in February with no issues. I think the prepaid and credit card lines are completely separate.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by roneyc
My best guess on the reason for shutting both my and SO's BB's is that the debit card number was consistently different from load to load. Your WM deposit receipt lists last 4 digitis of each VGC so it is tracked by AmEx during the transaction.
That wouldn't be a very well educated guess as, technically, these are cash loads.

While they could know, Walmart is not passing any information about the transaction to AmEx except the amount to load.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by sechs
That wouldn't be a very well educated guess as, technically, these are cash loads.

While they could know, Walmart is not passing any information about the transaction to AmEx except the amount to load.
Do you know that for a fact?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by roneyc
Yes, for one of the two BB's in my household. Plus, it had scattered small purchases at WM each month.
Were you loading same amounts everytime? Say $500?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
If it matters I only ever loaded my BB with my Suntrust Delta Debit card, never a VGC or other type gift card. I was still shutdown.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Do you know that for a fact?
Yes
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by sechs
Yes
care to elaborate?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:29 am

Everyone is trying to open new serves, but has anyone tried to re open bluebirds? It seems to me and i could be completely wrong, but the people getting cards again are applying for the exact same card they got shut down on, not going from say BB-Serve or vise versa.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG, SWR
Originally Posted by mser95
Everyone is trying to open new serves, but has anyone tried to re open bluebirds? It seems to me and i could be completely wrong, but the people getting cards again are applying for the exact same card they got shut down on, not going from say BB-Serve or vise versa.
I had a SoftServe account that was closed on 1/8/16; I've tried twice for BB and was not approved. I applied once on day 30 and once on day 35 after closing account. I will probably try one more time for BB then move on to OneVIP.

Luckily the OneVIP I had in my son's name is still working.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by veradico
In summary:

- BB opened pre-shutdown wave, but never used.
- Purchased and loaded 4K in SMGCs towards the end of January 2016 to meet minimum spend.
- Used another CC to purchase and load 4K in SMGCs in February 2016 for minimum spend.
- Used BB Bill Pay to pay off the 2 CCs.
- Still no account closure notice, but the month isn't over...

Stay tuned.
Bam! Shut down notice received today.

Conclusions from this experiment;
- Loading GCs is not necessarily the trigger as I did not get shut down in February after loading 4K in GCs in January.
- Loading GCs and then using Bill Pay to pay off your CC definitely triggers account closure the month following the use of Bill Pay.
- BB will only work for a very limited time for MS after the account is opened, so if you are able to open one, hit it HARD by loading in month 1 up to the max allowed, then load hard again in month 2 and finally bill pay in month 2 to meet your minimum spends and await shutdown notice.

Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:41 am

Just got shut down email (March 4th)
I've maxed 2.5K only in December and completely stopped depositing or withdrawing anything after first reports/wave. Thought I was spared, and I didn't MS much.. Only for meeting minimums on redcard which was converted to Serve. Never loaded anything online..
Is there any chance having them look in to it again?
update: I haven't even log in to my serve online account after first reports or withdraw

Last edited by avagyan; Mar 4, 2016 at 8:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.