Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:48 pm

Not Shut Down

I've been using BB for MS for about the past 2 years or so, with Visa gift cards at $500 to meet the minimum spend initially for the 100,000 mile exec card and most recently for the personal and business cards. Last used them about 2-3 months ago but I used the BB via Kate this past Friday for 1 $500 VGC and for another 3 $500 VGC this past Sunday.

Thus far all is "normal" for my BB account.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:36 pm

I have used my BB heavily in the past for msing and am still going. Granted, I took an almost-year-long break, but I'm back at it and so far so good.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by veradico
As an update...

- BB opened pre-shutdown wave. Was never used.
- Loaded with 4K in SMGCs towards end of January 2016.
- Have not transferred any money out of the BB yet, nor paid any bills.
- Just loaded 2500 in SMGCs yesterday, 2/3. Still no closure notice.
- Going to load another 1.5K this weekend and then x-fer to linked savings account rather than use bill pay.

I'll report back after the $ is x-ferred out of the BB to see if it triggers acct closure.
Another update.

Was able to load another 1.5K in SMGCs to BB. Had a total of 8K in the account and then decided to just go ahead and use Bill Pay rather than transferring the funds to my linked account. Was able to pay off the CCs without any problem. Will see if account gets closed at end of month and report back, but so far so good.

If my account doesn't get closed, I'm guessing it was just a single wave of closures and that, as long as you don't abuse MS (i.e. maybe you just use it to meet a minimum spend bonus here and there), you may still be able to use BB for limited MS.

In summary:

- BB opened pre-shutdown wave, but never used.
- Purchased and loaded 4K in SMGCs towards the end of January 2016 to meet minimum spend.
- Used another CC to purchase and load 4K in SMGCs in February 2016 for minimum spend.
- Used BB Bill Pay to pay off the 2 CCs.
- Still no account closure notice, but the month isn't over...

Stay tuned.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

New BB

Had 4 family serve cards and all shut down. Applied and approved for new BB for my sister today. She didn't have one of the Serve's. Plan on meeting min spend on future CC churns. We'll see how long it will last.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:16 pm

Has anybody gotten shut down for loading $1-2k in GC per month and using the funds to bill pay?

I'm planning on doing that amount each month and pay rent/car/CC.

Do the shut downs have any impact on other amex cards such as SPG, Hilton, Platinum? I have those 3 and wouldn't want them closed or affected, reviewed if my BB gets shut down.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tronsom
Has anybody gotten shut down for loading $1-2k in GC per month and using the funds to bill pay?

Do the shut downs have any impact on other amex cards such as SPG, Hilton, Platinum? I have those 3 and wouldn't want them closed or affected, reviewed if my BB gets shut down.
Some people have reported that they did a mix of MS and Bill Pay and were shut down. I plan on doing an experiment and only doing Bill Pay with one of my BB's, and if I get shut down, then I'm suspecting it's how the BB is being loaded since we all load usually $500 at a time...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:56 am

any shutdowns after Jan 8?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.

So far, I have not seen any reports of Amex someone's credit cards after shutting down their BB or Serve card. But that doesn't guarantee that they won't in the future or that future applications will not be denied. Personally, my Serve was closed and I'm not too worried about it.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
So far, I have not seen any reports of Amex someone's credit cards after shutting down their BB or Serve card. But that doesn't guarantee that they won't in the future or that future applications will not be denied. Personally, my Serve was closed and I'm not too worried about it.
I was shut down in Jan. and was approved for an amex business card last week. I also got a targeted amex prg application in the mail yesterday even though I had the card about 3 years ago. So far for me at least it seems just a bluebird shutdown, but only time will tell.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by bj993
Had 4 family serve cards and all shut down. Applied and approved for new BB for my sister today. She didn't have one of the Serve's. Plan on meeting min spend on future CC churns. We'll see how long it will last.
How did you get approved? Any special tricks? Did you wait 31 days from closing?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:11 am

Interesting. Will Amex know if the load is being done with a GC instead of a real debit card? Because if its the amounts that flag accounts we can just do random loads instead of $500.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
How did you get approved? Any special tricks? Did you wait 31 days from closing?
I believe he said he applied for his sister who never had BB or serve before.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ninim2200
I believe he said he applied for his sister who never had BB or serve before.
Thanks, I think my brain intentionally blocked that sentence out. I was hoping for a way to get around the shutdown.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:51 pm

Interesting. Will Amex know if the load is being done with a GC instead of a real debit card? Because if its the amounts that flag accounts we can just do random loads instead of $500.
no one knows.

there was someone who got shutdown for not MSing but using BB for billpays.

I think if you're not profitable (not using BB for purchases), Amex may shut you down.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:03 am

Two questions. Sorry, completely new to MS.

1. Has anyone tried opening a new account after the shutdown on 1/8 and was able to MS?

2. Those who got shutdown, did you lose whatever money was in the acct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.