Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Looks like AMEX is really trying to get out of the BB / Serve / prepaid area. Shutting down accounts that are only 1 month old and have only loaded $1K and paid out to other individuals is, IMHO, a very strong sign relative what their path forward is.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TAWS
I've been loading $499.xx and not $500. I did NOT get shut down...
How much have you loaded each month and for how long?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by deant
How much have you loaded each month and for how long?
Load about $2-3k/month for past 2 months. Account is 2 years old.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Looks like AMEX is really trying to get out of the BB / Serve / prepaid area. Shutting down accounts that are only 1 month old and have only loaded $1K and paid out to other individuals is, IMHO, a very strong sign relative what their path forward is.
They are only shutting down accounts that load from prepaid VGC and from cc.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jimok
Wife's new BB was shut down today at about the same time as everyone else. The data points are very simple. The BB was opened a month ago. Two $500 vgc were deposited via Kate. Payments were sent via bill pay to unrelated individuals to pay for services. That's it.
not hard coded at wmt?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:58 pm

"not hard coded at wmt?"

Sorry, not sure what you're asking here. The data points are what I described.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by TAWS
Load about $2-3k/month for past 2 months. Account is 2 years old.
And then do you bill pay, atm, or what?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by SarahS
They are only shutting down accounts that load from prepaid VGC and from cc.
That's not true.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
That's not true.
Has anyone who never did a VGC load or a credit card load been shut down?And if so, what did they do to load the card? Also, did they have a Target RedBird card in the past that they did VGC loads to?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:57 am

Has anyone who never did a VGC load or a credit card load been shut down?And if so, what did they do to load the card? Also, did they have a Target RedBird card in the past that they did VGC loads to?
mom's card only had DD as fund source, re-opened from RB (no history of CC or VGC load) in November to switch to oneV. her card survived 1st wave but not 2nd.

at this point, I still don't see rhyme or reason for the shutdowns. that is why I
don't alter any activity on one that remains open for me. Looks to me like they're killing their prepaids s-l-o-w-l-y.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
mom's card only had DD as fund source, re-opened from RB (no history of CC or VGC load) in November to switch to oneV. her card survived 1st wave but not 2nd.
Does your mom share your address or phone number? Was her card in any way tied to cards that engaged in VGC or credit card loads?

If not, then my guess is that her account was just unprofitable. Did she do anything with the card that would earn AMEX a fee or make them a profit?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: All of them

at this point, I still don't see rhyme or reason for the shutdowns. that is why I
don't alter any activity on one that remains open for me. Looks to me like they're killing their prepaids s-l-o-w-l-y.
Hold on....so your mother only had direct deposit as funding source? When AMEX sends these shutdown notices they quote a paragraph in the terms that you're supposedly violating, and I'm pretty sure they're referring to the manufactured spending part. How the heck is direct deposit related to MS?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:22 pm

at this point, I still don't see rhyme or reason for the shutdowns.
Unprofitability of the account seems to be the trigger and I am sure if people are doing large amounts of cash transactions, that would trigger money laundering concerns.

VGC and cc loads are unprofitable for AMEX, indeed they are money losing. And if you aren't doing anything with the card to offset those losses, well, why should AMEX keep you as a customer?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:23 pm

Does your mom share your address or phone number? Was her card in any way tied to cards that engaged in VGC or credit card loads?
no and no. all the ones I managed for 2 years have been shutdown; a new one with all unusual activities going on, opened in Feb survived the last tsunami. I have no plan to alter any of the unusual activities
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Hold on....so your mother only had direct deposit as funding source? When AMEX sends these shutdown notices they quote a paragraph in the terms that you're supposedly violating, and I'm pretty sure they're referring to the manufactured spending part. How the heck is direct deposit related to MS?
that's what makes me wonder what they found unusual and irregular about her 3 month account She is not doing any related MS activity, the funds are kept there as her EF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.