Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by barschools
What's the best way to get money into your WF checking other than ACH? I have a credit union that allows me to deposit 100k per month in money orders but their website doesn't allow for ACH to other banks. I hope to get about a 30k credit limit when I get the WF card and hope to max it out each month. Think it would raise flags if I made a monthly 30k deposit with a personal check? I doubt depositing MOs into my WF checking would be a good idea. Any advice would be appreciated.
I deposit MOs in person at WF. One WF had me wait while they called moneygram to verify each MO. I never went back there. The rest of the WFs I used took the MO's without question. My account remains open to this day, though I don't use it much now that the six months is over.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by dethkultur
2 reasons - I leave enough so I can apply the cashback to a current balance vs new purchases, and in the back of my mind I'm aware of the shutdowns reported in this thread. I know banks like customers that carry balances, so in my mind maybe my account passes some trigger by carrying a balance (even though it is at 0% right now and I pay no interest.) It's irrational and superstitious when it comes down to it, but I've made several $k in the last few months and it looks like I'll make it through the whole 6 month window, so I'm definitely avoiding some of the algorithms that have bit a few people.
Even when you carry balance, your CL resets to the full value at the beginning of the month. Your total balance at any point in time is 1200, it's not like you are carrying a balance of 1200 from month to month.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:38 am

Just received a call from Wellsfargo the missing extra 4% cash back is fixed. And I do see it online now. They confirmed they will look back and credit the missing 4% cashback for old transactions. I wish I didn't put much gift card purchase on this card..
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by savingwizard
I wish I didn't put much gift card purchase on this card..
The manual review of the transactions will reveal what people have been doing. This might be end of 5X or at least put more conditions such as WM purchases won't qualify for 5X etc.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
[QUOTE=bar19900;28448417]they literally set a 100k limit? or thats just what you dump there?

They didn't set a limit. That's just what I do on average per month.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:55 pm

I have almost done several $k purchases and I had no issues till now, this is my first month. Hoping it lasts for 6 months for me too.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Gitangali
The manual review of the transactions will reveal what people have been doing. This might be end of 5X or at least put more conditions such as WM purchases won't qualify for 5X etc.
Yep. Two days after getting a letter confirming that 5% promo is added to the acct, another letter comes with the dreaded warning.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:16 am

just finished 6 mos; initially did $2k/mo, got the written warning after 2 mos; scaled down to $1k/mo and lasted til now; overall, total reward CB was about $400 + 200 sign-up bonus; definitely a peanut comparing to those prior to the monitoring
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
just finished 6 mos; initially did $2k/mo, got the written warning after 2 mos; scaled down to $1k/mo and lasted til now; overall, total reward CB was about $400 + 200 sign-up bonus; definitely a peanut comparing to those prior to the monitoring
What was your CL?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Thats why im not reapplying for this card
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
lol
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:32 am

Just received a call from Wellsfargo the missing extra 4% cash back is fixed. And I do see it online now. They confirmed they will look back and credit the missing 4% cashback for old transactions. I wish I didn't put much gift card purchase on this card..
Did they give you the retrocredit yet? I still havent seen mine reflected and it's like 6 weeks since they called me saying they would fix it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
What was your CL?
2k; after 6 mos, all purchases is only 1 pt, correct? if so, will it be better to close or keep it open to possibly open a different WF's in future? does WF have a limit of #s of CCc open?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Did they give you the retrocredit yet? I still havent seen mine reflected and it's like 6 weeks since they called me saying they would fix it.
Not yet. But I would not call them to let them see all my transactions.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Not yet. But I would not call them to let them see all my transactions.
I didn't bother to call about my missing points, but they just posted sometimes this week, and somehow I can not see activity (base transaction and bonus transaction) I wonder why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.