Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH, IHG
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Lately there has not been any shut down report. Either there are not many card holders left or no more shutdowns. Is the spring cleaning at WF complete? That means we can ramp it up??
Good to see some fresh posts on this! I'm thinking the 1x for first few months is a good plan. With only a $9k CL I may try to get it increased, but I'm not sure on that.

What's the consensus on purchases? Is it ok if all my purchases are at CVS? Do I need to throw some other items to make the amounts not $2,019.80?

Got our travel stuff booked for the year and we're good on points, so I'm pumped to move to cash back. Pretty psyched!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:39 pm

Cool. Glad to see people aren't getting totally shutdown. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by alphakenny1; Mar 6, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:52 pm

Does anyone know if WF let's you move credit around? I have an old 5x cashback card with a 17k limit. Thinking about leaving it open and when my 14 months are up and I can apply for another card, seeing if I can transfer most of that limit over. Thoughts?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by rburrel
Does anyone know if WF let's you move credit around? I have an old 5x cashback card with a 17k limit. Thinking about leaving it open and when my 14 months are up and I can apply for another card, seeing if I can transfer most of that limit over. Thoughts?
Pretty sure you won't gave the 6-month 5x promo if the other card is open. I recall seeing some DPs in this and previous versions of this thread. You likely have to close the old card and wait 14-16 months.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Eligibility for introductory rate(s), fees, and bonus rewards offers
If you opened a Wells Fargo credit card account during the last 15 months from the date of this application you will not be eligible for the introductory APR(s) or bonus rewards offers until the 1st day of the calendar month after the 15 month anniversary.

This can be read as if you opened any WF card. Can someone chime whether they meant (15 months) it for the same type of card or any WF? If 15 months language is for the same card then you may not have to wait 15 months if switching cards.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:26 pm

I had the cashback version, closed it and got the rewards version around 1-2 months later. 5x for 6 months bonus was valid. This was in 2015-2016.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
I had the cashback version, closed it and got the rewards version around 1-2 months later. 5x for 6 months bonus was valid. This was in 2015-2016.
I believe the above language was added recently.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Eligibility for introductory rate(s), fees, and bonus rewards offers
If you opened a Wells Fargo credit card account during the last 15 months from the date of this application you will not be eligible for the introductory APR(s) or bonus rewards offers until the 1st day of the calendar month after the 15 month anniversary.

This can be read as if you opened any WF card. Can someone chime whether they meant (15 months) it for the same type of card or any WF? If 15 months language is for the same card then you may not have to wait 15 months if switching cards.
Same type of card. Go for it.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:22 pm

Looking to hit this up again after a bonanza last year. I am past the 16 month mark and the closed card no longer appears on my WF homepage. However, the rewards account (with zero balance) still shows. Looking for DPs on whether I should wait for that rewards account to also disappear before applying for a new 5X card. Also looking for advice/experience on the merits of the rewards versus home rebate version of the card. My understanding is there is virtually no difference as both can be turned into cash.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Looking to hit this up again after a bonanza last year. I am past the 16 month mark and the closed card no longer appears on my WF homepage. However, the rewards account (with zero balance) still shows. Looking for DPs on whether I should wait for that rewards account to also disappear before applying for a new 5X card. Also looking for advice/experience on the merits of the rewards versus home rebate version of the card. My understanding is there is virtually no difference as both can be turned into cash.
I hope you get an answer, I'm curious about churning this also.

I think the only difference between the cards is how you qualify - doesn't the Home version require you have a mortgage with WF?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:55 am

Any update on this? Is there someone who is still milking this card? I would be eligible to receive bonus again in a few months and was curious how WF is treating MS these days.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: HH, IHG
I got the letter after only 1 month, with 1x CL. I did 3 payments, so maybe that did it. My CL is $9k. Month 2 just ended, my plan is to go silent until month 5, then just hit the .... out of it. With a $9k CL I can't do much, but maybe get $5k or so out of it. Sad really...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:17 pm

I've had this for 2 weeks, spent about $3.6k on it out of a CL of $13k. Sprinkled in a few non-ms purchases, but vast majority is ms. So far so good - no letter .... Havent made any payments on it yet.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:10 pm

Anyone try getting this less than 16 months after last card? Wondering how they count months 15 and 16. Seems like you need to wait until anniversary then + 4 months. So, this month would be good for someone that got last card in December of 2015?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone try getting this less than 16 months after last card? Wondering how they count months 15 and 16. Seems like you need to wait until anniversary then + 4 months. So, this month would be good for someone that got last card in December of 2015?
Has it been confirmed that you can't get the 5x points on a different type of card unless it's been more than 16 months since your last Wells Fargo card was opened? In addition to the Wells Fargo Platinum Card, at https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...-card/rewards/ they are offering 5x points on gas, grocery, and drugstore purchases for the Wells Fargo Rewards Card, the Visa Signature, Home Rebate, and Home Rebate Visa Signature.

In addition to 5x, some of these cards have $200 bonus offers. Of course the terms say "if you opened a Wells Fargo credit card within the last 16 months, you will not qualify for the introductory rate(s), fees and bonus offers." However, I noticed some people on other forums were talking about opening up more than one card to get multiple $200 bonus offers, which is also contrary to this stipulation.

Edit: I do see this was answered just a few posts up, indicating that you can open different cards to get the 5x multiple times... I am just confused why people keep asking about the 16-month period when there are 5 different cards with the 5x offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.