Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
I'll take my chances. I don't think that 90% utilization on one account and a temporary credit score decrease is going to lead to any shutdowns. Will report back if I'm wrong!

edit: took a detailed look at my scores. I exaggerated a bit in my last post. Experian has me dropping from 799 to 680, which is the most dramatic drop. Barclays, Amex, Discover have me dropping from 774-795 to ranges of 736-764. So not terrible except for that Experian drop.
Mine dropped about 150 for both TU and EQ when running a 20K balance. Did a simulation and it increased 150 when dropping the balance to 0. Then when I actually did drop the balance to 0 it did increase my credit score 150. There was one month where I had a couple of 2x cards with high balances and my score was in the high 500s. Now I'm sitting just under 800. Just think about it, if a "normal" person all of a sudden has that much of an increase in used credit lenders are going to view that person as much riskier.

Net: It really does effect your credit score.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:02 pm

Hey guys did they sort of 4% glitch not posting immediately? Some of you were told it would post at the end of the 6 months.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Hey guys did they sort of 4% glitch not posting immediately? Some of you were told it would post at the end of the 6 months.
I was also told I'd get the extra 4x category bonus at the end on the 6 months.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Mine dropped about 150 for both TU and EQ when running a 20K balance. Did a simulation and it increased 150 when dropping the balance to 0. Then when I actually did drop the balance to 0 it did increase my credit score 150. There was one month where I had a couple of 2x cards with high balances and my score was in the high 500s. Now I'm sitting just under 800. Just think about it, if a "normal" person all of a sudden has that much of an increase in used credit lenders are going to view that person as much riskier.

Net: It really does effect your credit score.
FWIW, I run about $20k/mo through the card, but leave a small balance of around $1200 to report on the closing date. No issues so far.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dethkultur
FWIW, I run about $20k/mo through the card, but leave a small balance of around $1200 to report on the closing date. No issues so far.
Do you post one payment a month? on due date?? You are using over 95% of your CL and you think that 5% makes that big of a difference?

Let's get back to the basic of why one would get shut down

1. High CL utilization 2. Frequent Payments 3. Negative balances 4. Cycling Multiple times the CL 5. High daily purchases

Not sure if they trigger a flag if you are making repetitive purchases over certain dollar amount at places like WM etc.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:29 am

Do you post one payment a month? on due date?? You are using over 95% of your CL and you think that 5% makes that big of a difference?

Let's get back to the basic of why one would get shut down

1. High CL utilization 2. Frequent Payments 3. Negative balances 4. Cycling Multiple times the CL 5. High daily purchases

Not sure if they trigger a flag if you are making repetitive purchases over certain dollar amount at places like WM etc.

I think what he meant is he did make a payment before the statement close. It may not necessarily imply "2. frequent payments". it could be a one-lump sum payment before statement close, such that statement only close with a $1200 balance.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
I think what he meant is he did make a payment before the statement close. It may not necessarily imply "2. frequent payments". it could be a one-lump sum payment before statement close, such that statement only close with a $1200 balance.
That's correct. I run up to about the credit limit, and make one payment on about the payment due, bringing the balance down to about $1200. So I do carry a balance, just a small one. I do it because of the reasons above - I understand that FICO penalizes you badly for reporting a large % of your credit limit on a single card, in this case my utilization is well under 10%. There's no drop in my FICOs as reported by Discover and Amex. It does make a huge difference to your FICO scores if you report 95% on a single card, no matter what your total limits are, vs reporting no balances or a tiny balance on 1 card.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:46 pm

That's correct. I run up to about the credit limit, and make one payment on about the payment due, bringing the balance down to about $1200. So I do carry a balance, just a small one. I do it because of the reasons above - I understand that FICO penalizes you badly for reporting a large % of your credit limit on a single card, in this case my utilization is well under 10%. There's no drop in my FICOs as reported by Discover and Amex. It does make a huge difference to your FICO scores if you report 95% on a single card, no matter what your total limits are, vs reporting no balances or a tiny balance on 1 card.
I'm not getting the purpose of this. If you make one payment of balance due on balance due date, the WF shouldn't have any problem with this. correct? Why not pay the entire amount on due date instead of carrying a small balance of $1200. You probably have a good reason, I just don't understand
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:15 am

I'm not getting the purpose of this. If you make one payment of balance due on balance due date, the WF shouldn't have any problem with this. correct? Why not pay the entire amount on due date instead of carrying a small balance of $1200. You probably have a good reason, I just don't understand
I think Gitangali wrote it wrong and means "carrying a balance" to mean "allowing a balance to post on the statement." But, he/she is still paying the $1200 before the payment due date.

"Carrying a balance" should really just mean not paying the balance in full, but Gitangali is probably paying the balance in full before the due date. The only sensible reason not to would be if you have a 0.00% promo APR.

Of course, one big reason to not pay all charges before the statement cuts is that it won't build the payment history portion of your credit reports if you have a $0.00 or negative statement balance. Another is that it may look unusual to your credit card issuer.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:08 am

2 reasons - I leave enough so I can apply the cashback to a current balance vs new purchases, and in the back of my mind I'm aware of the shutdowns reported in this thread. I know banks like customers that carry balances, so in my mind maybe my account passes some trigger by carrying a balance (even though it is at 0% right now and I pay no interest.) It's irrational and superstitious when it comes down to it, but I've made several $k in the last few months and it looks like I'll make it through the whole 6 month window, so I'm definitely avoiding some of the algorithms that have bit a few people.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:00 am

2 reasons - I leave enough so I can apply the cashback to a current balance vs new purchases, and in the back of my mind I'm aware of the shutdowns reported in this thread. I know banks like customers that carry balances, so in my mind maybe my account passes some trigger by carrying a balance (even though it is at 0% right now and I pay no interest.) It's irrational and superstitious when it comes down to it, but I've made several $k in the last few months and it looks like I'll make it through the whole 6 month window, so I'm definitely avoiding some of the algorithms that have bit a few people.
From experience, the shutdowns are hit-and-miss so you can never know for sure if you will get shut down, even if you spend less than your credit line each month... it's very disconcerting.

Last edited by dealhunter32; Jun 15, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
I made it through the six-month window recently while breaking every rule from the wiki without even as much as a warning letter. Then other people spend less than 1× their CL and get a warning in the first month. It makes no sense!
visa signature (travel rewards) card or the Rewards card?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
visa signature (travel rewards) card or the Rewards card?
Regular rewards card immediately cashed out to checking account each month.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
What's the best way to get money into your WF checking other than ACH? I have a credit union that allows me to deposit 100k per month in money orders but their website doesn't allow for ACH to other banks. I hope to get about a 30k credit limit when I get the WF card and hope to max it out each month. Think it would raise flags if I made a monthly 30k deposit with a personal check? I doubt depositing MOs into my WF checking would be a good idea. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by barschools
What's the best way to get money into your WF checking other than ACH? I have a credit union that allows me to deposit 100k per month in money orders but their website doesn't allow for ACH to other banks. I hope to get about a 30k credit limit when I get the WF card and hope to max it out each month. Think it would raise flags if I made a monthly 30k deposit with a personal check? I doubt depositing MOs into my WF checking would be a good idea. Any advice would be appreciated.
they literally set a 100k limit? or thats just what you dump there?

wells will let you ach in 25k per month if your account is a few months old.....that should be a good start. They also can take MO deposits.....your 30k should be a no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.