Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
I'm currently pushing >100k in MOs per month through my credit union and I'm considering "seasoning" my Wells Fargo account with some MOs to reduce the amount I'm doing with my CU. Don't want to have all my eggs in one basket in case something happens to my CU. What kind of monthly MO volume can you push through a seasoned Wells Fargo account? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post in the open forum. Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by barschools
I'm currently pushing >100k in MOs per month through my credit union and I'm considering "seasoning" my Wells Fargo account with some MOs to reduce the amount I'm doing with my CU. Don't want to have all my eggs in one basket in case something happens to my CU. What kind of monthly MO volume can you push through a seasoned Wells Fargo account? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post in the open forum. Thanks.
I was depositing in WF to take advantage of the quick 5x turn around. It really is branch dependent. One branch told me they had to call moneygram to verify each MO. I let them do it, but I had to wait a while. Another branch questioned the MO's after the second deposit. I finally found one in an affluent area that had no problem with deposits, so I used that branch for the rest of the six months.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Once you are shut down your points are gonner for good. Bye Bye
Unfortunately I flew a bit close to the sun last year and can confirm this. CFPB dead end. Arbitration not hopeful either.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by breauxdle
I'm over 12.5 spend and my pending points for this month are showing 5x, redeemable 8-17. will know for sure in a few days
Anything ever happen with this? Get the points?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Anything ever happen with this? Get the points?
points from month 5 cashed out. card shut down about 7 days into month 6
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:34 am

were you cycling CL? what do you mean by over 12.5 spend? 12.5K in spend?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:04 pm

Did you ramp up (i.e. cycle CL) only month 5 or before also?

Originally Posted by gnomey
what do you mean by over 12.5 spend? 12.5K in spend?
WF now has a $12.5K cap on 5x earning, they put it on these cards' T&C a few days ago.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:40 am

I have the legacy unlimited 5X WF nearing 2nd statement. Hope it lasts 6 months.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:54 am

Earlier the points posting date was 09/09/17, now it shows 10/10/2017.

Anybody has had this happen before? is it just glitch which will clear up in a few days or I'm history with WF?

Update: An hour later I was able to redeem the points. Woila!!!

So still kicking it.

Last edited by Gitangali; Sep 9, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:22 am

Anybody has had this happen before? is it just glitch which will clear up in a few days or I'm history with WF?

So still kicking it.
How is your monthly cycle? Are you doing more than 12K per month as per the new card rules?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended

So still kicking it.
Yes, literally every single person who's had this card. It happens every month.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
12k PER mth?

Originally Posted by ramamosn
How is your monthly cycle? Are you doing more than 12K per month as per the new card rules?
its 12k per mth?? I thought it was 12k total for 6 mths...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrx900
its 12k per mth?? I thought it was 12k total for 6 mths...
"5x points on gas, grocery, and drugstore net purchases for 6 months on up to $12,500 spent and 1x points on other net purchases - enjoy 5 years to use the points you earn"
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:39 pm

I got a preapproval for the 5X rewards card with the 15K points sign up bonus (public offer online is 20K points), it does have the same caveat as online: "If you opened a Wells Fargo credit card within the last 16 months, you will not qualify for the introductory rate(s) or bonus rewards offers. See important exclusions on page 2."

I recently opened a 5X (over a month ago) so my guess is if I was to respond to this offer (with the reservation number and all) and get approved, I wouldn't benefit the 5x category. But, I am curious if anyone has tried this, that is they were less then 16 months from their last 5x, got the preapproval in the mail and applied.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
I got a preapproval for the 5X rewards card with the 15K points sign up bonus (public offer online is 20K points), it does have the same caveat as online: "If you opened a Wells Fargo credit card within the last 16 months, you will not qualify for the introductory rate(s) or bonus rewards offers. See important exclusions on page 2."

I recently opened a 5X (over a month ago) so my guess is if I was to respond to this offer (with the reservation number and all) and get approved, I wouldn't benefit the 5x category. But, I am curious if anyone has tried this, that is they were less then 16 months from their last 5x, got the preapproval in the mail and applied.
No go. PCing a card also resets the clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.