FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

miadeals Nov 5, 2015 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus (Post 25670976)
At what point does someone bring up the fact that a OneVanilla Visa Debit card is not the same (legally) as a gift card?

And PPMC, and phone cards, etc, etc, etc. Totally ridiculous. Technically anything in the store can be a "gift" but I don't see how that makes a Facebook (or whatever) money card or a verizon prepaid card a "gift" card.

They are going to lose a fortune in legal fees, wasted time on CFPB complaints, etc, as they are saving in rewards here, and I'm willing to bet they'll end up paying them out eventually!

This is really the dumbest promotion i've ever seen - deny people rewards with no specific information as to why you're actually denying them. Truly stupid.

mhdena Nov 5, 2015 10:15 pm

[QUOTE=AndrewTheMan;25670983if they don't make amends. [/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Their game their rules.

DaveInLA Nov 5, 2015 10:21 pm

The bigger question-- if Discover can tell which purchases are for gift cards, will any other banks (esp those offering 5x rewards) follow suit?

miadeals Nov 5, 2015 10:22 pm

From reddit:

"Got two email, one was for a WG gift card purchase that there were honoring because it was bought before the gift card exclusion language was included.
The other said they declined cashback on a later order claiming there was a gift card purchased, but there was none. My purchase was a laptop, so it's clear they have no real way to determine what purchases actually include gift cards. They are likely just flagging stuff that exceed a certain dollar amount..."

This is going to be a total sh**show...

miadeals Nov 5, 2015 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25671042)
The bigger question-- if Discover can tell which purchases are for gift cards, will any other banks (esp those offering 5x rewards) follow suit?

It seems that maybe they can't (see post above)...anyone try a $2 GC at WAG?

I guess I'm gonna try some things, but by the time I get results, we may have no time left to act on it.

My other guess is the terms change this week to exclude PPMC, etc...

miadeals Nov 5, 2015 10:25 pm

Do anyone have a medication receipt from WAG? When we get meds from Publix, the receipt lists the meds. Does WAG?

AndrewTheMan Nov 5, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by miadeals (Post 25671055)
Do anyone have a medication receipt from WAG? When we get meds from Publix, the receipt lists the meds. Does WAG?

Mine does.

miadeals Nov 5, 2015 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan (Post 25671068)
Mine does.

Holy crap it lists the meds??? And discover wants to see people's HIV meds or hormone meds or ????

And they're going to store this information how?

Just...wow. They really have no idea what they're doing.

So I guess my answer to their email is: "I bought meds and it's none of your god**** business what meds I bought. F U; pay me."

coolblues Nov 5, 2015 10:45 pm

Glad I did 6k prior to the kill date. Hopefully that'd track

teddy25 Nov 5, 2015 10:47 pm

Wow,

They just screwed this up bAd. They need to fire the lawyer who signed off on the receipt request. HIPPA violation is worse than the CFTC or small claims court.

DziVang Nov 5, 2015 10:56 pm

Well, they truly have no idea what we bought. They just take a guess and claim transaction as gc purchase and ask us to send back receipt. Well, this will be my first and final Discover product. Gotta stick with Chase or Amex only from now on.

Mpc578 Nov 5, 2015 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by miadeals (Post 25671007)
And PPMC, and phone cards, etc, etc, etc. Totally ridiculous. Technically anything in the store can be a "gift" but I don't see how that makes a Facebook (or whatever) money card or a verizon prepaid card a "gift" card.

They are going to lose a fortune in legal fees, wasted time on CFPB complaints, etc, as they are saving in rewards here, and I'm willing to bet they'll end up paying them out eventually!

This is really the dumbest promotion i've ever seen - deny people rewards with no specific information as to why you're actually denying them. Truly stupid.

Problem with the PPMC is that the receipt from WG calls it a gift card...even though it really isn't.

I just wish I spent more time hitting other WGs in the first 2 days.

elvistcb Nov 5, 2015 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by DziVang (Post 25671152)
this will be my first and final Discover product. Gotta stick with Chase or Amex only from now on.

That is where I am as well. I was giving them the business for all my 2%. Once I saw they were going back on this I switched back to Citi 2%.

Screw them. They lost my business for good.

desikid Nov 5, 2015 11:07 pm

Why don't we ask them on twitter about this? As more and more people ask about why they need receipt with personal info mentioned? May be that will get them to change the policy again.. Purchase over $500 does not always mean it is gift card.
Best buy/Staples purchase of iPad or iPhone purchase at Apple store better not be treated like GC purchase and deny 10% CB as per their "algorithm"... It will be a long ride...

ManFactSpendLA Nov 5, 2015 11:08 pm

This just makes me laugh...oh how true Seth is about discover card!!!