FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

IWOL Nov 5, 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25669625)
Ignorant much? So some people across the U.S. aren't buying medication that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars in a Pharmacy?

Seriously.....your calling him ignorant and at the same time suggesting that hundreds of Apple Pay users are purchasing medication at Walgreens for $504.95 so they can get 20% off their medications....lol

rdcrds Nov 5, 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by IWOL (Post 25669646)
Seriously.....your calling him ignorant and at the same time suggesting that hundreds of Apple Pay users are purchasing medication at Walgreens for $504.95 so they can get 20% off their medications....lol

My meds are 200$ but walgreens is so much more then CVS even the 20% does not bring it down to there price on my meds. But people can spend 500$.

I got most of mine at a supermarket the gift cards and with food and ive seen people spend 500$ plus at supermarkets but mine comes in less then 2 weeks and by then we should know. But in the end we do not lose money just either make a lot or very little but for me at least no loss.

wowsza Nov 5, 2015 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by IWOL (Post 25669646)

that guy is the worst, seems like he loves snapping at people the second they post any negative data points regarding this promo.

i made one post about saving your receipts in case 10% on legitimate purchases aren't honored, and was then labeled as a troll that was constantly spreading FUD :rolleyes:

rajuabju Nov 5, 2015 7:20 pm

Sigh.

My statement cut today.

Got AP 10% NON-GC purchases at Whole Foods, Sprouts & Staples.

Test GC purchase DID NOT get AP bonus.

Glad I didnt go all out.

miadeals Nov 5, 2015 7:34 pm

Again, has anyone received or been denied the bonus on a NON-VGC GC? IE, a store GC?

And what is Discover going to do about all the "mixed" purchases? They say they give 10% on anything that's not GC, so if I'm $50 on GC and $50 on groceries in the same order, what are they going to do? Violate the terms of the promo and not pay on the legit $50?

Anyone tried getting a whole foods GC at whole foods?

If I buy medication at WAG, can they see my medication? I mean......?

This whole thing seems like a mess. And I'd love to know how Discover knows what we're buying...who is telling them? Where is the info coming from? How are they using this info?

mikeyb45 Nov 5, 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by miadeals (Post 25670307)
Again, has anyone received or been denied the bonus on a NON-VGC GC? IE, a store GC?

And what is Discover going to do about all the "mixed" purchases? They say they give 10% on anything that's not GC, so if I'm $50 on GC and $50 on groceries in the same order, what are they going to do? Violate the terms of the promo and not pay on the legit $50?

Anyone tried getting a whole foods GC at whole foods?

If I buy medication at WAG, can they see my medication? I mean......?

This whole thing seems like a mess. And I'd love to know how Discover knows what we're buying...who is telling them? Where is the info coming from? How are they using this info?

That has been my primary concern as well. Discover has not been forthcoming with what knowledge they have about our purchases. They claimed on Twitter that they don't get itemized transaction details, but that seems to be a lie. They would need itemized details in order to pay on the non-gift card portion of all purchases. The only other option is that they get some info from the merchant that says yes or no to whether there was a gift card in the purchase, in which case they would have to pay no AP bonus on the entire amount, which is also pretty rotten. In any case, I don't want to use my Discover card at Walgreens anymore if they can tell what prescription drugs I'm buying.

Flyby01 Nov 5, 2015 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyb45 (Post 25670508)
In any case, I don't want to use my Discover card at Walgreens anymore if they can tell what prescription drugs I'm buying.

I would think that information would be subject to the HIPAA privacy rules.

rdcrds Nov 5, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 25670252)
Sigh.

My statement cut today.

Got AP 10% NON-GC purchases at Whole Foods, Sprouts & Staples.

Test GC purchase DID NOT get AP bonus.

Glad I didnt go all out.

But if you went all out you still gain more money. Even if they do not do them later on it is 3$ to 5$ profit on each 500$ gift card. I know that is not much but if 1 or 2 gift cards make it or all of them down the road it is still worth it to go all out.

cks30 Nov 5, 2015 9:14 pm

Important info about extra rewards with Apple Pay
Gift card purchases will not earn extra rewards

Dear CKS30,

We're writing to let you know that your Apple Pay purchase on September 20, 2015 for $504.95 at Walgreens #XXXX included a gift card. The gift card portion of your purchase does not qualify for the 10% Cashback Bonus® promotion.

As a reminder, now through December 31, 2015, you'll earn an extra 10% Cashback Bonus® on up to $10,000 in purchases when you shop in stores and use your Discover card with Apple Pay, excluding gift card purchases.

If you disagree with our finding and contend that your purchase did not include a gift card or a portion of your purchase qualifies per the terms of the promotion, let us know with supporting documentation in the next 21 days. Documentation can include store receipts or invoices, but cannot include your Discover card statement. You can send documentation via email:

PurdueGuy Nov 5, 2015 9:14 pm

I just started getting emails from Discover stating:

We're writing to let you know that your Apple Pay purchase on September 20, 2015 for $xx.xx at ABCD included a gift card. The gift card portion of your purchase does not qualify for the 10% Cashback BonusŪ promotion.
It has an email to send to if I have supporting documentation to verify it wasn't a gift card.

valedecem Nov 5, 2015 9:14 pm

Well $*#%.

callmedtop Nov 5, 2015 9:14 pm

Game, set, and match. Just received the email below. My statement last cut 10/27, with no AP cashback (as expected).

Gift card purchases will not earn extra rewards

Dear XXXX,

We're writing to let you know that your Apple Pay purchase on September 23, 2015 for $2,028.79 at Walgreens #2933 included a gift card. The gift card portion of your purchase does not qualify for the 10 Miles per dollar spent promotion.

As a reminder, now through December 31, 2015, you'll earn an extra 10 Miles per dollar spent on up to $10,000 in purchases when you shop in stores and use your Discover card with Apple Pay, excluding gift card purchases.

If you disagree with our finding and contend that your purchase did not include a gift card or a portion of your purchase qualifies per the terms of the promotion, let us know with supporting documentation in the next 21 days. Documentation can include store receipts or invoices, but cannot include your Discover card statement. You can send documentation via email:

•Scan and then e-mail to [email protected]

Sincerely,

Discover Card Customer Service
One positive outcome - I also got this email:

We're writing to let you know that your gift card purchase made with Apple Pay at Walgreens #2933 for $2,017.74 on September 22, 2015 will be rewarded 10 miles per dollar spent as a one-time courtesy. Gift card purchases are not currently included in this promotion, and any future gift card purchases will not qualify.

As a reminder, now through December 31, 2015, you'll get an extra 10 miles per dollar spent on up to $10,000 in purchases when you shop in stores and use your Discover card with Apple Pay, excluding gift card purchases.

elvistcb Nov 5, 2015 9:15 pm

Oh boy! Consumer Financial Protection Bureau time. We ALL need to nail these SOBs. I hope everyone has a screen shot of the original terms.

Emails are coming in as I type. Your purchases included gift cards.

.......s.

kyroadrunner Nov 5, 2015 9:17 pm

I just received an email from discover detailing a purchase which included a gift card and that the gift card portion of the purchase would not earn the 10% bonus.

"We're writing to let you know that your Apple Pay purchase on September 25, 2015 for $1,009.90 at Walgreens #9712 included a gift card. The gift card portion of your purchase does not qualify for the 10 Miles per dollar spent promotion.

As a reminder, now through December 31, 2015, you'll earn an extra 10 Miles per dollar spent on up to $10,000 in purchases when you shop in stores and use your Discover card with Apple Pay, excluding gift card purchases.

If you disagree with our finding and contend that your purchase did not include a gift card or a portion of your purchase qualifies per the terms of the promotion, let us know with supporting documentation in the next 21 days. Documentation can include store receipts or invoices, but cannot include your Discover card statement."

cfisher6 Nov 5, 2015 9:17 pm

EDIT: Wow, seems we're all in a reporting mood. Deleted my post as it was quite redundant.

However, I did get an email stating I would receive 10% back on one purchase as a courtesy.