FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

desikid Nov 5, 2015 11:10 pm

When you have purchased GC alongwith other items, what happens then? Do you still get 10% for other items purchased?
How do you determine it?

venusaur5391 Nov 5, 2015 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA (Post 25671190)
This just makes me laugh...oh how true Seth is about discover card!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZL27H_yxk

Thanks for that. Wonder how I don't remember this episode!

WantsToGetAway Nov 5, 2015 11:34 pm

Ideas for spending 10k ApplePay in store with Discover

Given recent news about GCs, how do you plan to meet (if you do plan to meet) the 10k limit with Discover ApplePay 10%X2 CB? Maybe just be extra generous this Christmas?

teddy25 Nov 5, 2015 11:37 pm

There will be a lot of people reselling Apple gears.

pdxuser Nov 6, 2015 12:02 am

A few thoughts:

- It looks like Discover is identifying suspected (but not known) gift card purchases based both on the retailer (two people have reported large Apple Store purchases receiving the bonus) and on the price (but not necessarily only above a certain dollar amount, as someone said a $50 GC was excluded). Perhaps certain smaller dollar values are still strongly correlated with gift card purchases in Discover's opinion.

- Legitimate large purchases have been excluded as suspected GCs, and the emails ask cardholders to send in their receipts for disputes, suggesting Discover does not have Level 3 purchase data. (There was never any indication they did, or that any consumer (non-business) credit card does.)

- Discover never said that we had to submit our receipts to receive the bonus. They can't change the terms after we apply for the card and spend our money.

- Demanding we produce a receipt without prior agreement sounds like something that would require a subpoena. But if it goes to binding arbitration, they could probably get that subpoena. However, if you already threw the receipt away, Discover would have to subpoena the merchant, else all Discover has is a dollar value they deem suspicious. I don't know if Discover's merchant agreements require such disclosures or if a non-court arbitrator would have the power to subpoena a third-party merchant in a dispute between Discover and the cardholder. If not, Discover will need to hope the arbitrator will rule for them based solely on the dollar value of the purchase.

- I think the CFPB is the best first option here, unless Discover caves if you say "these weren't gift card purchases, but I threw the receipts away." You can tell CFPB that Discover is withholding payment until receipts are produced, but Discover never said receipts would need to be saved or produced. That's a new requirement after the purchases have been made.

miadeals Nov 6, 2015 1:46 am

Originally Posted by sybloc (Post 25671417)

Edit:
International airports near Lake County, IL...

Slow down there sy...

It's even better than you realize. Any small claims court anywhere in the country has jurisdiction over your lawsuit if you live there - you create the "nexus" required. So, basically, discover has to send a lawyer to every court they are sued in, in the US, at their expense. No need to buy plane tickets....just head down to your local court.

They really have no idea what they are doing over there...

pdxuser Nov 6, 2015 2:05 am

Here's Discover's arbitration policy.

DeaconY Nov 6, 2015 3:11 am

Originally Posted by pdxuser (Post 25671666)

Their arbitration language is so disingenuous. It says they will not require arbitration in any small claims case. Unless, however, that case is transferred or moved to another court. You file a small claims case and they immediately ask for the case to be transferred to a higher court. Once granted they then immediately demand arbitration per the terms.

pdxuser Nov 6, 2015 3:31 am

At the end, it allows you to reject the arbitration agreement within 30 days of receiving your card. Also, via Wikipedia, Discover lost a precedent-setting case trying to enforce the no-class-action clause.

ZzzzX Nov 6, 2015 3:53 am

DEAL IS DEAD. CHECK YOUR EMAILS.

Wow.

Jesusdyd4u Nov 6, 2015 4:47 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX (Post 25671863)
DEAL IS DEAD. CHECK YOUR EMAILS.

Wow.

Yep. Here's mine for those who haven't seen it yet:

Important info about extra rewards with Apple Pay
Gift card purchases will not earn extra rewards

Dear Mr (names have been changed to protect the innocent;)),

We're writing to let you know that your Apple Pay purchase on September 19, 2015 for $1,022.33 at Walgreens #XXXX included a gift card. The gift card portion of your purchase does not qualify for the 10% Cashback Bonus® promotion.

As a reminder, now through December 31, 2015, you'll earn an extra 10% Cashback Bonus® on up to $10,000 in purchases when you shop in stores and use your Discover card with Apple Pay, excluding gift card purchases.

If you disagree with our finding and contend that your purchase did not include a gift card or a portion of your purchase qualifies per the terms of the promotion, let us know with supporting documentation in the next 21 days. Documentation can include store receipts or invoices, but cannot include your Discover card statement. You can send documentation via email:

•Scan and then e-mail to [email protected]

Sincerely,

Discover Card Customer Service

juergenritz Nov 6, 2015 5:00 am

will buy an iphone and imac. Additional my plan is to buy stuff with giftrecipes and return for store credit ;-)
JR

DrForce Nov 6, 2015 5:33 am

It's still useful for regular spend and reselling merchandise.

Mamibear Nov 6, 2015 5:45 am

Originally Posted by juergenritz (Post 25672024)
will buy an iphone and imac. Additional my plan is to buy stuff with giftrecipes and return for store credit ;-)
JR

what's a giftrecipe :confused: did you mean gift receipts?

you can possibly do it once but not many times especially for big ticket items. some stores will ask for your DL for return of high ticket items.

ETA: I think this kind of thread will just make it easy for Disc to plug all possible loopholes, so whatever is discussed will be killed in no time.

ZzzzX Nov 6, 2015 5:51 am

Originally Posted by DrForce (Post 25672106)
It's still useful for regular spend and reselling merchandise.

Never using them again. Or, until next deal.

Did anyone else get one of these emails?

"We're writing to let you know that your gift card purchase made with Apple Pay at Walgreens # for $504.95 on September 17, 2015 will be rewarded 10% Cashback Bonus® as a one-time courtesy. Gift card purchases are not currently included in this promotion, and any future gift card purchases will not qualify...."